Cover Image: Day Drinking

Day Drinking

Such a fun, perfect book for summer! I enjoyed the recipes and overall vibe of the book! I look forward to using some of these!
This can stand next to any of my drink books.

This is exactly what it sounds like, a collection of drinks that are great throughout the day.
Unfortunately this book was archived before I could read it.   Hope to find it in a story and buy it to read it.
Day Drinking was fun and cheerful with a very laid-back vibe throughout.  I loved the descriptions and histories of drinks, and the unusual combinations of ingredients and flavors.  Odell does a lovely job of describing unusual ingredients and why they are used, and giving variations on a theme, as well as serving suggestions and how to make drinks work for a crowd or party.  Perfectly timed for the onset of summery weather, this is an enjoyable addition for those who love to entertain.
I’m not much of a drinker, day or night, so it was interesting to check out the recipes and see what I’m missing.
I received this as a PDF file to read on the computer. The drink titles seem to be missing causing the recipes blend together. (It's hard to find where recipes start and end.) Hopefully this will be fixed in the finalized copy.

The recipes that I was able to decipher looked tasty.
There are certain locations where day drinking is not only allowed, it is expected. The beach, the lake, and on a boat anywhere. While there is nothing wrong with a cooler full of beer, it is always nice to step up your game and provide the crowd with something a little more festive. Day Drinking is full of inventive, fun, and lower alcohol cocktails to get your though the day, and the night.
Beautiful pictures, delicious drinks, and easy instructions! A must-read for day drinkers!
The glossary at the beginning is helpful.  Why aren't the names of the drinks more prominent?? Found that endlessly annoying. Love the concept, though.
Day Drinking: 50 Cocktails for a Mellow Buzz by Kat Odell et. al. is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early April.

The author Odell sets the stage with an in-depth, yet inviting posh 1970s deco atmosphere with a bar tools & accessory glossary and a brief overview of ingredients, before going into the recipes....that are presented and recommended mostly by bartenders from different regions of the U.S. It's somewhat dizzying and creates an odd mix of styles.
A visually appealing title, with ample pictures and 70s-inspired graphics and endpapers, would make a nice housewarming gift. Crowdsourcing the recipes has advantages and disadvantages: it's a diverse range of drink styles and flavor profiles, so any reader is likely to find something they'd like, but it doesn't provide much advantage over a generic web search for cocktail recipes.
For me, the complexity of some recipe ingredients is off-putting. If I want a pitcher of something sippable for brunch, having to make two or three different components (tinctures, syrups, garnishes) before the drink is an obstacle unless I've thought to start the night previous.
Great resource for cocktail recipes. Hey, if I come across a book boasting on recipes about day drinking, I'm already attracted to it. Nice and intuitive layout. Detailed and easy to follow directions, which even a novice like I can follow. The author includes anecdotes and background stories along with the recipes, which was a pleasure to read.
The recipes in the book are interesting and sound tasty. However, the varying amounts of alcohol that are called for can run the average day drinker into debt. Many of these drinks require planning ahead for specific not-so-simple syrups. While good intentioned there is not enough of simple ingredients to be useful to the average social drinker.
Day Drinking by Kat Odell is exactly that, a book filled to the brim with a variety of cocktails that would be perfectly suited for a day party or outing with friends. I struggled to read this book, I think mainly because the copy I received from the publishers was an e-version and not print, so it felt very disjointed. Most of the drinks have a photo, but it's two to three pages from the actual recipe, which can result in a lot of flipping back and forth to see if you've achieved the right mix for a drink. Overall, I really liked the variety of drinks provided-from fun and fruity, to more tart and bold-there's something for everyone in here. I tried several of the recipes and they were super simply and had lots of flavor! I do wish that the names of the drinks were a bit more prominent on the pages, instead of being squished between a bartender and location in small font. I know it's a day drinking book, but I think it also might've been fun to have this pairs well with this food, just because day drinking is typically associated with brunches and barbecues, so that additional insight could've been useful if you're using this book to plan a party.

tldr; It's a lot of reading with minimal photography...which isn't exactly my cup of tea for a cocktail book.

Score Card: Cover Art: 3/5     | Content: 3/5     | East of Read: 5/5
I love this book! There are some really great recipes for light alcoholic drinks that can be served during the daytime. So many that sounded and looked so good and would be perfect for brunches, showers, luncheons, etc.  This would also make a nice gift book. Definitely recommend!
OMG amaaaazing. You have to get this book. Love the stories and recipes. Pictures look divine. My husband is adventurous about cocktails (by that I mean he is just trying to surprise our guests but wants easy recipes) and he loved this book!
Kat Odell has compiled many recipes from bartenders from all around the country. There is a distinct laid-back, almost retro vibe to the writing that I found enjoyable. Each drink comes with a little history and backstory that added to the nostalgia of bygone eras where drinking for flavor trumped quick inebriation. The photographs are lovely and the styling matches the overall tone of the book well.

The concept of day drinking is one that most people are familiar with, including myself, and I love the idea of a book filled with low-alcohol beverages. It's nice to have flavorful options that won't result in slurred speech and a hangover. While these drinks are targeted towards low-key day consumption, I could see these as great evening cocktails for those who prefer lighter beverages.

I found a lot of recipes I'd love to try out, particularly the coffee based ones, the fruity summer spritzers, and an earl grey & Pimm's combination. Overall, I found the directions simple and where there are ingredients that may be harder to find Odell does a good job of offering possible substitutions. There is also a handy list of measurement conversions and equipment definitions that I found particularly useful.

While I haven't made any of the cocktails yet, I'm looking forward to trying them out as the spring and summer months approach. This book would make an excellent gift for fellow day drinkers or for someone who prefers lighter cocktails!
Various drinks to enough during the summer in a colourful way........
This was an awesome preview book! A new dedication to cocktails (through way of my best friend's parents, who believe all vacations, even just weekends away from the real world, as well as like summer trips and holidays themselves). I was happy to take a number of these to a recent weekend and knock some socks off myself in getting to share cocktails back for the first time.

These were awesome. Thank you so much for such an amazing book! I can't wait to try the rest and take them to gatherings!
I am not impressed with this book of cocktail recipes. The first 23 pages are filler about glassware and types of alcohol. The photos of the drinks are pretty and well-done, I just wish there were more of them. It could just be my personal taste talking, but a lot of the drinks I was not already familiar sound really disgusting. An IPA and an egg? In a cocktail? No, thanks. Then we have the classic drinks, which are...classics, so we all already have the recipes.