Lemons and Lemonade: My Midlife Dabble in Online Romance

Pub Date 17 Nov 2016 | Archive Date 30 Jan 2017

"What you are about to read is frequently salty, occasionally convoluted, and in all ways, very personal. These true and sometimes ribald tales did actually occur during my online dating dabble between wife number two and wife number three…”

Neither a primer on online dating, nor a gender-biased lament on love gone wrong, David H. Mathews’ memoir, Lemons and Lemonade explores the connections and disconnections he made while searching the .com world for romance.

After subscribing to a dating site, David struggles to concoct a suitably provocative profile, stumbles and falls with several mismatched matches, then finally connects with, and promptly marries Clare, the love of his life. Actual email exchanges chronicle their blurringly fast courtship.

David shares his honest-to-God interactions with honest-to-God women in the voice of a plain-speaking Indiana farm boy who spent his youth playing basketball, fondling cheerleaders, baling hay, and shoveling manure.

Advance Praise

"David Mathews’ memoir, Lemons and Lemonade: My Midlife Dabble in Online Romance, is entertainment to be enjoyed by both men and women. Mathews does not shirk his responsibility to provide a full accounting in this story of what could possibly go wrong with online dating. The women methodically selected for Mathews’ consideration fit no standard mold. Personalities and characteristics vary, one to the next. Into Mathews’ life is squeezed a bit of humor, high-jinx, unadulterated reality, bad luck waning toward no luck, only to rebound with hope, passion, and, most of all, perseverance. The relationships with his matches are vividly portrayed in his quest for an ever-after stocked with a woman to love, companionship, and happiness." —Connie Chappell, author of Wild Raspberries and Deadly Homecoming at Rosemont

"An insightful, witty and engaging memoir of the search for a partner in the twenty-first century with all of its advantages and complications. The reader vicariously experiences many titillating and sometimes scary encounters, always entertaining, on the way to finding true love. A truly great read." --Byron Brumbaugh, author of The Devil’s Vial

EDITION Ebook

I enjoyed this book. It was a light, humorous, and fun read.

I would read more of this author's work ,pretty good book.

A completely different type of book. Never read anything like it. Not sure if it was a fiction book or an autobiography. Really good about the risks of meeting people online. Interesting to read all the peoples different pasts and lives,

I didn't think I would like this story but it was so funny. That I found myself wanting to read this in one go. A humours story made me laugh out loud loads.

Not set

Sweet and funny. Interesting to hear of authors dealings with the online matches. Well worth the time to read.

Not set

I received a free copy of the book from Black Rose Writing via Netgalley in exchange for my honest review. Lemons and Lemonade by David H. Mathew is a humorous memoir following the life of David Mathew. As a grown adult, David has gone through two marriages that just have not worked. Although he is a man who has been divorced twice, he does not believe it is the end of his love life. To meet women, he decides to join a dating website. He isn’t really sure what was going to come out of online dating but all of the situations he faces are not what he is expecting at all. From a few nice women raging to a few crazy, rambunctious women, it takes David awhile to really find the woman he is looking for. Ready to give up, he one day matches up with Clare, his current wife and realizes that although it took awhile, the girl of his dreams was out there all along. Lemons and Lemonade is a light read that will make you smile. While there were a few funny moments, most of the jokes fell flat to me- maybe David’s humor just doesn’t match to mine. Either way, I enjoyed reading about David’s adventures while online dating. His story is genuine as I feel all of the events are too outlandish for anyone to really make up. I thought he recounted all of his interactions well and I felt time stop as I followed along, as if I were right there with him. Most of the time I felt immersed in his story and had a good time reading it. However, I do think this book has some problems. After a long list of crazy women I was finally glad to see that he found “the one,” but having all the action before made the ending anticlimactic. The book sort of ends on a random note and although it was finished, I didn’t actually feel the story was finished. I do wish he included more details about his married life later rather than when he actually first got married. And while I did like this book, I feel like I would have fallen in love with it if it included more details about his marriage to his current wife and if the humor matched my own. I do think you will enjoy this book if you have tried online dating before, and if you feel you haven’t met the love of you life just yet. This book teaches you to never give up. Although it may takes days, months or years, the right person is waiting out there for you.

A charming Story about one man's journey to find love, A quick 5 hour read full of laughs, ooos, and ahhhs! Overall it wasn't a bad way to spend a few hours, It was a break from all the serious mystery thrillers i enjoy, sometimes it's just nice to be able to relax and simply read a book rather then try to figure it all out. Some parts of the story dragged out a little too much for me, made it kind of boring at times, but understandable considering his job is selling cars. Towards the end some of the emails kind of get annoying to read just because you've read so many of them. I found myself rushing to get to the end, just to get it over with. Not a bad story just my reads are usually more thrilling. The first half of this book is filled with the funny failures, the dos and don'ts of online dating, the variety of people you can meet when you throw yourself to the wolves never seizes to amaze me. Although i did not find this story laugh out loud funny like some people might have, there was one or two chuckles that made it a pleasurable read. Just when David is about to give up and retreat into an old comfortable relationship from the past, he meets someone that turns his experience around and makes him want give it one last try. Then the story is transformed into this heartfelt, beautiful look at one couples path to love at last! But in the end they still have to fulfill the terms of the website, do they stay together or do they choose not to marry? Will their family, friends, and kids accept the other into their lives, or think they moved way too fast? No Spoilers here kids, You'll have to read the book to find out !

Hilarious! Even if you haven't dated online, we've all at least heard the stories and imagined the world of Cyber-Dating. Told in a smooth, funny style, you'll want to read until finished and recommend to a friend (or foe?!)

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Lemons and Lemonade was a fun, irreverent look at modern dating through the eyes of an old(er) man. ;) A story full of sarcasm, wit and ultimately, hope of finding good love, Dave takes us along on his journey of self discovery with fun anecdotes and hilarious characters. I laughed out loud one minute and then thought, 'I know that gal...' the next.

We hears so much about online dating but this is a book with a difference. The author actually dabbles in making connections and disconnections until his match finds its purpose and he meets and marries one of the ladies. You need to read the book before you pass any judgement, you see in some cases it works.

Light hearted and an easy read . Never dabbled in on line dating but this book was quite funny in places .

Not set

David has been married before but decided to try online dating. He subscribes to one site, and dates a smattering of women while on his journey to find 'the one'. This memoir is about that journey, and the characters he meets along the way. While not a self-help book, this is definitely one for people who are unfamiliar with online dating and would like to try it out for themselves.

Not set

I think we would all have to admit that at one time or another, we have wondered about all those on-line dating sites that we hear and read so much about. Well.....this book gives us some of what we probably all knew; and then some. Funny at times, yuck factor at others, and reality at the end. If you're curious about some of the details of on-line dating but not ready to jump on the bandwagon, read this book. You'll either give it a try or run in the other direction.

Not set

This book is for anyone who has participated in online dating, or for those who have ever even given it a thought, even if you've never clicked submit after filling out that e-Harmony personality questionnaire. Both those who have had success and failures in online dating can relate to these very true and very personal stories. Even if you haven't dabbled in the online dating scene, you might wanna read this as an experience gain.