The Wolf at the End of the World

Pub Date 15 Oct 2013 | Archive Date 31 Dec 2019

A shapeshifter hero battles ancient spirits, a covert government agency, and his own dark past in a race to solve a murder that could mean the end of the world.

"I can't remember the last time I read a book that spoke to me, so eloquently, and so deeply, on so many levels. ... I’ll be rereading it in the future because it’s that sort of book. Richly layered and deeply resonant. An old friend, from the first time you read it." -- Charles de Lint, World Fantasy Award winner

The Heroka walk among us. Unseen, unknown. Shapeshifters. Human in appearance but with power over their animal totems.

Gwyn Blaidd is a Heroka of the wolf totem. Once he led his people in a deadly war against the Tainchel, the shadowy agency that hunts his kind. Now he lives alone in his wilderness home, wolves his only companions.

But when an Ojibwe girl is brutally killed in Gwyn's old hometown, suspicion falls on his former lover. To save her, Gwyn must return, to battle not only the Tainchel, but even darker forces: ancient spirits fighting to enter our world…

And rule it.

Cree and Ojibwe legends mix with current day environmental conflict in this fast-paced urban fantasy that keeps you on the edge of your seat right up to its explosive conclusion. With an introduction by World Fantasy Award winner, Charles de Lint, The Wolf at the End of the World is a sequel to Doug's award-winning short story, "Spirit Dance."

REVIEWS

"An immersive and enjoyable reading experience. Readers will delight in learning more about Native American mythology, which is skillfully woven throughout the story. Smith's novel is both well paced and deftly plotted—leaving readers curious about what comes next for the Heroka in the modern world." — Publishers Weekly

"What makes THE WOLF AT THE END OF THE WORLD such an engrossing read are the characters and Doug’s wonderful prose, a perfect blend between matter-of-fact and lyricism. " — Charles de Lint, World Fantasy Award winner

"Five stars … a story that hits all the emotional buttons from laughter to tears. … the writing is good and the story is engaging, the characters are deep enough to make me feel. … It’s the interweaving of lore and ideas that gives this novel so much substance. … Given the number of awards Douglas has won for his short stories, it’s hardly surprising he’s written such a fabulous book and it’s lovely to be able to say so, unreservedly. … With adventure, intrigue, shape-shifters, family, a touch of romance and a lot of heart, this is a book I’d recommend for readers of all genres." — SF Crowsnest

"…beautiful prose and an exciting and powerful story." — Derek Newman-Stille, award winning speculative fiction scholar

"An excellent debut novel. … Modern controversy over aboriginal land claims is mixed with a romantic embellishment of ancient stories. … Staccato pacing and multiple POVs with a hook at the end of each short segment [keeps] the energy level perpetually high." — The 49th Shelf, Recommended Reads

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

"One of Canada's most original writers of speculative fiction" -- Library Journal

"An extraordinary author whom every lover of quality speculative fiction should read." -- Fantasy Book Critic

Douglas Smith is a multi-award-winning Canadian author of speculative fiction, with over a hundred and fifty short story publications in thirty-two countries and twenty-six languages.

His books include the novel, THE WOLF AT THE END OF THE WORLD, and the collections, CHIMERASCOPE and IMPOSSIBILIA.

Doug has won Canada's Aurora Award three times, and has been a finalist for the international John W. Campbell Award, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's Bookies Award, Canada's juried Sunburst Award, and France's juried Prix Masterton and Prix Bob Morane.

Doug's website is smithwriter.com and he tweets at twitter.com/smithwritr.

"I can't remember the last time I read...

EDITION Ebook

A new twist to the old story of shape-shifting humans. A great stand alone book, this is by far one of the greatest stories i have read

This had a good concept and a really cool cover, so when I read the book I really enjoyed reading it. The characters were good and I enjoyed reading the story. Overall I felt it was a fun read and hope there is more from the author.