Stick Pick

Pub Date 01 Aug 2018 | Archive Date 13 Dec 2018
James Lorimer & Company, Lorimer Children & Teens

Talking about this book? Use #StickPick #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Star player Janine leads her hockey team to victory at the provincial championships. But on the way home from the game, a car accident leaves her paralyzed from the waist down. Her best friend and teammate, Rowena, urges Janine to look into sledge hockey.

Adapting to her new life, Janine meets frustration at every turn. Soon Janine begins to appreciate her new sport. Her experiences lead her to speak up about rights for the disabled, taking her cause all the way to the professional sports arena. She might be a sledge hockey rookie, but she knows she's up for any challenge.

Based on real-life experience and research, this story tracks the emotional and physical challenges of facing a disability.

*Please note that this is a hi/lo title intended for reluctant and struggling readers. As such it is fast-paced, short, and uses high interest content with simple vocabulary to keep these readers engaged.

This book is also available in paperback:
$8.99 USD
$12.95 CAD

Advance Praise

“I really enjoyed this book and had a hard time putting it down... I loved the action of sledge hockey and sometimes felt as if I were playing the sport myself. Through the descriptive passages in the book, I found myself in the wheelchair with Janine, struggling to open doors and squeezing into the school’s only elevator... Janine and her story will open many eyes to things able-bodied people take for granted and will shed a bright light on sledge hockey. Highly Recommended.” −CM Magazine

“I really enjoyed this book and had a hard time putting it down... I loved the action of sledge hockey and sometimes felt as if I were playing the sport myself. Through the descriptive passages in...