We Must Be Brave

Pub Date 26 Feb 2019 | Archive Date 26 Feb 2019
PENGUIN GROUP Putnam, G.P. Putnam's Sons

Talking about this book? Use #WeMustBeBrave #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

THE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

"A powerful story that proves how love itself requires courage." --Delia Owens, author of Where the Crawdads Sing

Spanning World War II and the sweep of the twentieth century, We Must Be Brave explores the fierce love that we feel for our children and the power of that love to endure. Beyond distance, beyond time, beyond life itself.

A woman. A war. The child who changed everything.

December 1940. As German bombs fall on Southampton, England during World War II, the city's residents flee to the surrounding villages. In Upton village, amid the chaos, newly married Ellen Parr finds a girl asleep, unclaimed at the back of an empty bus. Little Pamela, it seems, is entirely alone.

Ellen has always believed she does not want children, but when she takes Pamela into her home, the child cracks open the past Ellen thought she had escaped and the future she and her husband Selwyn had dreamed for themselves. As the war rages on, love grows where it was least expected, surprising them all. But with the end of the fighting comes the realization that Pamela was never theirs to keep. Spanning the sweep of the twentieth century, We Must Be Brave explores the fierce love that we feel for our children and the power of that love to endure. Beyond distance, beyond time, beyond life itself.
THE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

Spanning World War II and the sweep of the twentieth...

Send to Kindle (EPUB)