Challenges of the Gods

Challenges of the Gods book 1

Pub Date 07 Jan 2019 | Archive Date 31 Jul 2020

Talking about this book? Use #ChallengesOfTheGods #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

After Mike goes through a gut-wrenching betrayal by his fiancée, he finds himself in what he thinks might be the afterlife. But this is no heaven. The gods made a mistake and created another Earth in a parallel universe, putting both universes in peril. They need someone from his planet to destroy the alternate, and Mike is randomly selected for the job. Trapped in an impossible choice, Mike accepts his mission and is returned to an Earth—and a body—so unlike his own. There, he meets Jane, who is—unbeknownst to him—the secret leader of an organization bent on tracking down Earth's saboteur. In the face of her passion for humanity, Mike's resolve falters. If Mike won't complete his mission, the gods will.

EDITION Ebook

I received an ARC of this from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about this novel. It had a really interesting premise but I found that the execution of the novel dragged a bit. I found myself skipping passages at times. I did appreciate the worlds that the author created and the struggles between them. Some of the war games were interesting and original. I didn't really connect with any of the characters other than Mike. His inner and outer dialogue, witty one liners, and mic drop moments usually had me laughing out loud. I wasn't entirely satisfied with the ending either but, like I said, I'm on the fence about reading the sequel if there is one. It's best you decide for yourself.

This was certainly confusing for me at the start and at one stage I nearly put it down, Having persevered with it I strangely got drawn into the story finally making sense. Certainly worth a try if you want something different.