The Weeping Books of Blinney Lane

Pub Date 27 Sep 2018 | Archive Date 18 Mar 2019

Talking about this book? Use #TheWeepingBooksOfBlinneyLane #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Welcome to Blinney Lane, a historical Salem shopping district controlled by a witch's curse.

Sarah Allister just wants a normal life running her bookstore and daydreaming about the handsome deliveryman. Contentment seems within reach, even if she has to deal with the daily phenomena that occur in her shop.

But when her spirited nephew shows up to spend the summer, all bets are off. Now Sarah must keep Ricky from discovering the curse of Blinney Lane and awakening its full power.

Will Ricky heed Sarah’s warnings? Or will he accidentally awaken the magical weeping books and send Sarah back to a land she swore to forget?

Get ready for a modern fairy tale that will sweep you away to lands beyond your imagination.

* This is book 1 of The Blinney Lane series. This is a series of standalone novels that center on the eccentric shop owners of Blinney Lane. Blinney Lane is a street under an ancient curse.

The second book of the series will be on NetGalley on March 19th.

For fans of The Princess Bride and Stardust

A Note From the Publisher

This book is available in hardcover ($27.95, ISBN: 978-1-947727-28-1), Trade Softcover ($16.95, ISBN: 978-1-947727-29-8) & Ebook ($7.99, ISBN: 978-1-948540-99-5)

Advance Praise

"WEEPING BOOKS holds the rare ability to reach widely outside of its genre: young adults, mystery readers, and those who love novels about antiques and bookstores will find it equally compelling and inviting..." —Midwest Book Review

"Readers will enjoy this charming fantasy romance due to its endearing leads, and its timely message about love and how true love always requires sacrifice." — InD'Tale Magazine

"...a suspenseful tale of two worlds and passionate, flawed characters..." — The Romance Review

"A very unique book that I enjoyed immensely! Strong worldbuilding and great characterization combined for a delightful read." — LibraryThing Early Reviewers

EDITION Hardcover
ISBN 9781947727281

In Salem, Massachusetts, magic and witchcraft are celebrated in the 21st century, and that’s a good thing for Sarah Allister, who owns a bookshop where a highly unusual phenomenon occurs every day. While Sarah looks after her shop and dreams of a romance with a local deliveryman; her nephew, Ricky, with Sarah on summer holiday, begins to look into the mysterious happenings at the shop. This is a fun little magical cozy that will appeal to adults as well as the YA set

The Weeping Books of Blinney Lane is a fun easy read. The main character owns a bookshop with a secret curse. She has to make sure the curse remains a secret. It's a charming story with a little mystery and a little romance. Overall, it's a good cozy mystery. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.

Thank you NetGalley for the ARC of The Weeping Books of Blinney Lane. I loved this book - couldn't put it down! There is so much to like on many levels. There's an ancient curse, traveling to a different fictional world through a book...This is also a gentle story about young romance giving way to a more mature love. I can't wait to see more of Blinney Lane. And travel into more weeping books. I recommend this to everyone who loves to read!

This was an interesting book. I thought the idea of a cursed street to be fascinating. At first I was curious about the weeping books and I did like the story of the book and it’s people however at times I found the adventure taking place in the memory parts of the book world to be tedious and there were a few unanswered questions. Once the story continued and the characters were drawn back into the alternate bookworld in real time, I thought the action picked back up, especially the 2nd adventure. It could have been he maturing of characters or perhaps the introduction of the character Henry into the new world but this section seemed to flow better and the emotional maturity of the characters more developed. Overall I loved this book. I liked the characters and the storyline. I thought it was well written and I would love to see a sequel This book would appeal to those who like time travel, or sci-fi fantasy.

I was given a copy of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I really loved the world that Drea Damara built in her book "The Weeping Books of Blinney Lane". The idea and concept of being able to enter the books that we love and interact with the characters and setting within them is something that every book lover dream of. I could predict what would happen in the story based off of clues the author left and really enjoyed reading about Sarah's adventures in childhood and the growth she experiences in adulthood. At times it felt like we were getting too many character perspectives. The narrator would jump between characters, sometimes mid-scene, in order to give the reader the full advantage of what each person was thinking and feeling but there is something to be said about being left in the dark at times. I didn't feel that we needed the perspective of anyone other than Ricky or Sarah. And while I liked the idea of the curse binding families to Blinney Lane it felt that the author left it undone. Would the characters try to break the curse? Is it possible to break in the first place? Are they just going to continue being bound to it and letting future generations stay bound to it? The ending felt incomplete without answering these questions although maybe Damara is planning a sequel that will answer these questions. Overall 4/5 as I still had lingering questions and sometimes felt overwhelmed with both the curse and the idea of world traveling.

This is a good book, entertaining and well written. At the beginning i had some problems in understanding the world building as it gives you just some hints of what is going on and I was a bit slow. Once you start to understand the plot and the world building it's a pleasant and engaging book that never bores. i appreciated the cast of characters and the world building. Unfortunately I wasn't in the mood to appreciate it as it is due but I will surely re-read it and look forward to reading other books by this author. Recommended. Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this arc, all opinions are mine.

I was fascinated with the title an description before I even read it. After reading I got fascinated with this book even more. I loved how the author connected the plot in a way that all completes the story well at the end. If you like witchcraft and magic elements. This book is for you! I can't wait for book two published in April 2019!

A fun quick book that takes you to a place of books and mysterious happenings. I like that it would appeal to a wide range of genres.

There aren’t many books that keep me interested right the way through without loosing some interest. I read a lot and this was such a great read.

Thank you to BHC Press and NetGalley. This was an enchanting tale of modern day witches in Salem and how witchcraft is celebrated. I enjoyed the humor and the characters as well. The bookshop with the secret curse is a really cool touch to the story!

This is a tale of a street of shops that are cursed. If Sarah, the owner leaves the area around the street she will be whisked away to Farwin an enchanted land. Her teen nephew is going to visit for the summer and when he unleashes the curse he falls into a coma. Sarah and her friends must go to Farwin to save him. Fans of Harry Potter will enjoy and I think teen readers will especially find the story appealing. It's a fun read with no sex or murders. I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I really enjoyed the book. It was so fun and entertaining and loved everything about it! The setting was great, though I am a bit biased because I adore Salem, MA. The setting adds to the atmosphere of the book and the bookshop fits in perfectly in this world the author has created. The characters are like-able and I loved the idea of traveling to different worlds via books. I think this book will appeal to YA readers and adult readers alike, and I cannot wait to read more about this world and cannot wait for more books in this series.