The Secret Spiral of Swamp Kid
by Kirk Scroggs
Pub Date 01 Oct 2019
Talking about this book? Be sure to tag it using #TheSecretSpiralOfSwampKid #NetGalley
WARNING! UNLESS YOU HAVE EXPRESS PERMISSION FROM RUSSELL WEINWRIGHT TO ACCESS HIS NOTEBOOK, DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER. SERIOUSLY, WE MEAN IT.
Okay, if you are still with us, here is what we can share: Russell is a middle schooler; he excessively doodles; he has two best friends, Charlotte and Preston; he is not so great at sports; and he is pond scum. Nicknamed "Swamp Kid" by his classmates, Russell has algae for hair, a tree trunk for a right arm, and a carrot for a finger. Also, Russell's favorite meal is sunlight. Also, a frog lives in his arm.
In this notebook, Russell details in both hilarious text and color illustrations (complete with ketchup stains!) what it's like to be different, to discover his true talents, to avoid the intense stare of Mr. Finneca (his suspicious science teacher who may also be a mad scientist), and to find humor in the everyday weird.
This is The Secret Spiral of Swamp Kid by writer and illustrator Kirk Scroggs, and you'll never look at middle school the same way again.
• Part of the DC Books for Young Readers marketing campaign
• Extensive marketing budget of over $500k for the launch of DC Books for Young Readers
• Featured title at ALA Annual 2019, BookExpo 2019 and NCTE 2019
• Physical galleys made available for libraries, independent bookstores and retailers
• Galley mailing April 2019
• Trade advertising campaign including Publishers Weekly, School Library Journal, Shelf Awareness, Booklist and more
• Digital galleys available on Edelweiss and NetGalley April 2019
• In-book advertising and national print and online advertising: Facebook, Goodreads, Library Journal, Shelf Awareness
• Teaching guides and discussion guides created
• Ingram and Baker & Taylor graphic novel supplements • Promotion on dccomics.com; goodreads.com
• Promotion through DC Comics social media (Facebook, Twitter, blogs)
E-blasts with links to digital galleys sent to bookstores, libraries and media
• Excerpts made available on DOGOBooks
• Goodreads and Bookish giveaways
• Promotional co-op allowance
• Promotional items include bookmarks, locker posters and more