The Real Story Behind LA's Most Devastating Wildfire
by Robert Kerbeck
Pub Date 01 Nov 2019
Talking about this book? Be sure to tag it using #MalibuBurning #NetGalley
Malibu is known as an earthly paradise of multi-million-dollar mansions, movie stars and unimaginable natural beauty. But all that changed on November 8, 2018.
Go deep behind the scenes of the most destructive wildfire in Los Angeles history. Alongside his wife and son, Robert Kerbeck battled the fire that threatened to take their home. He knows first-hand how the Malibu fires affected everyone – from the rich and famous to the firefighters who often risked their lives.
Blending investigative journalism and personal memoir, Malibu Burning brings you on the dramatic, life-threatening journey of real people fighting 2,000 degree flames to save entire neighborhoods.
You’ll also read:
- How the massive blaze affected Julia Roberts, Bob Dylan, Nick Nolte, and other celebrities.
- Hundreds of interviews with perspectives of locals ranging from the Deputy Fire Chief and Malibu City Council members to residents who fought to defend their homes.
- How people survived this tragedy through courage, kindness and unified cooperation.
This book takes you into the hearts and minds of those who fought for their lives while the world watched Malibu Burning.
A Note From the Publisher
“Rather than focus on the enormity of Los Angeles County’s largest wildfire in recorded history, Robert Kerbeck takes a much more personal and thoroughly riveting approach, allowing the reader to see the Woolsey Fire through the eyes of individuals who lived through it.”
- Sharan Street, former managing editor, LA Weekly
“Robert Kerbeck puts a human face on the type of tragedy that grabs headlines but then fades from our collective memory all-too-soon. Blending personal narrative and investigative research, Kerbeck shows us the real story of what happens when a community faces down disaster.”
- Brendan Spiegel, Co-Founder & Editorial Director, Narratively
“Thrilling, well researched and occasionally light-hearted, this is a unique and special book.”
- Paul Kolsby, writer for the critically acclaimed Netflix series, Ozark
“Kerbeck´s writing is so organic...so emotionally intimate...that it is impossible to not be pulled in.”
- SJ Main Muñoz, award-winning director, writer, and producer
“What Robert Kerbeck shows us is the real Malibu: a small town much like any other across America and in the instance of the Woolsey Fire, betrayed by the very entities that were supposed to defend it. What you also see rising up out of the ashes is community, a new generation of leaders, and hope. A riveting and heartbreaking book, but also inspiring.”
- Liz Ziemska, Pushcart Prize winning author of Mandelbrot the Magnificent