No Rules

A Memoir

Pub Date 02 Jun 2020 | Archive Date 29 May 2020

Talking about this book? Use #NoRules #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In this coming-of-age memoir, Sharon takes you with her on a nail-biting adventure through the early 1970s after leaving her sheltered home life at sixteen years old to join the hippies. Yearning for freedom, she lands in an adult world for which she is unprepared, and must learn quickly in order to survive.
As Sharon navigates the US and Canada—whether by hitchhiking, bicycle, or the back of a motorcycle—she experiences love and heartbreak, discovers who she can and cannot trust, and awakens to the Women’s Liberation movement while living in a rural off-grid commune. In this colorful memoir, she reflects upon the changes that reshaped her during that decade, and how the ways in which she and her peers threw off the rules meant to keep women in their place has transformed and empowered the lives of girls and women today.

Advance Praise

“No Rules does more than pull us into the adventures of a girl who finds the courage to leave home and forge a life contrary to everything she has been taught. It is also a reminder that every girl has the right―and owes it to herself―to grow, learn, succeed, and become the woman she is meant to be, no matter how difficult it is to find her way and her purpose in a male-dominated society.”
―Victoria Zackheim, author of The Bone Weaver

PRICE CA$22.99 (CAD)

Send to Kindle (PDF)

Fun. Adventure. Freedom.
Go where you wanna go. Do what you wanna do. The word wanna is from the lyrics of a popular song back in the day.
Escape your mundane teen existence in the early '70s and live the hippie life.
Sharon Dukett did it, but "No Rules: A Memoir" makes it sound like it wasn’t all that wonderful.
Memories of drug-taking bored me. Recollections of road trips thrilled me.
Other accounts saddened me. I wanted empathy or sympathy for the teen from almost 50 years ago.
So many more emotions were involved, and because of that, I recommend the book.
Many thanks to She Writes Press and NetGalley for the ARC.

A memoir of growing up in the 1970s.A book of communes drug trips life lived on the edge.Hippie culture comes alive i the authors intimate stories.#netgalley#shewritespress