I Left the House Today!

Comics by Cassandra Calin

Pub Date 02 Jun 2020 | Archive Date 02 Jun 2020

Talking about this book? Use #ILefttheHouseToday #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Hilarious and relatable comics about one young woman's life, relationships, and day-to-day humorous musings on why it's good to leave the house sometimes—and when it's better to stay home.

Cassandra Calin’s ability to document the hilarity of relatable everyday events in a series of webcomics has generated a huge following on social media. This beautifully illustrated compendium of first-person comics about the trials of the single life, school, stress, junk food, shaving, and maintaining a healthy self-image. Cassandra Calin's comics frequently highlight the humorous gap between expectations and reality, especially when it comes to appearance and how much she can accomplish in one day. This book is funny, lighthearted, introspective, and artistically stunning—the perfect gift for young women, recent graduates, and anyone who might need a little comedic incentive to leave the house today.

...

A Note From the Publisher

We regret that this electronic galley is not available for Kindle viewing.

We regret that this electronic galley is not available for Kindle viewing.

I absolutely love this artist. I could not have been more excited to wake up this morning and find an ARC available for her newest book I Left the House Today, reading it totally made my day.

This book is full of amusing short comics revolving around the life of a university-aged woman who prefers to stay home and surround herself with blankets rather than greet the world. Cameos by her close friends and boyfriend add to the highly entertaining stories. I think some of my favorite of her works are her 'expectations vs reality' comics though. So spot on!

If you are in need of a smile or a laugh I highly recommend picking up one of Cassandra Calin's books and/or following her online.

This was such a cute and fun read! I follow the artist and author Cassandra Calin on her social media and I always enjoy reading her comics, so I jumped at the opportunity to read this comic book in advance. I feel like she describes very relatable moments of everyday life and also, she understand my hair problems to a tee. If you get the chance, I highly recommend this book!

I Left the House Today! by Cassandra Calin is a collection of comics chronically the everyday life of a girl as she experiences dating, school, and unrealistic beauty standards just to name a few. These comics are painfully relatable, humorous, and introspective.

The artwork in this comic is adorable and enhances the reading experience. I constantly found myself taking pictures of the the comics to send to my friends and my mom who have gone through what the main character is undergoing. My favorite strips were the beauty expectations versus reality that all women have experienced themselves.

The author is not afraid to shed light on what it means to be a woman in our modern society. I can't wait to read more comics by this talented author and artist. I would highly recommend this comic collection!

I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was so relatable! I do not remember the last time a book made me laugh out loud so much. I even showed some of the comics to my boyfriend and he laughed as well.
This book is just a compilation of stories from your daily life. It shows that you are not alone and we are struggling with the same things. The fact that this book makes you laugh shows that you can laugh at such things in your real life as well. Let it go and be happy!
I adored the illustrations - so cute.

This is overall a fun and enjoyable read that will make some of your "first life problems" seem hilarious. It will make you smile and understand that everyone has the same issues (more or less). Absolutely loved this!

Another wonderful bunch of comics by Cassandra! Every single one of these made me laugh and go "omg SAAAAME" or "This is MEEE". Everyone should read these, especially if the Corona situation has gotten you down!

An honest and funny comic about being a twenty-something woman and the day to day situations she encounters, involving friends, boyfriend, clothes shopping, and period pains. Laughs guaranteed!

So funny and highly relatable. I must say I laughed out loud a lot while reading this. And I needed it.
Some of the comics are new and a few of them are on Cassandra Calin's instagram account and tapas.
Thanks to Cassandra Calin, Andrews McMeel Publishing and NetGalley for providing me with this e-arc in exchange for my honest review.

Thanks to Netgalley and publisher for providing me a free copy of this book in exchange for a honest review .

Fantastic read.

I just loved this book .I could relate to this story .

Beautiful story with cute illustrations

Thanks to NetGalley and to Andrews McMeel Publishing for sending me an e-galley of this comic collection in exchange for an honest review!

I Left The House Today! is a comic collection by Cassandra Calin. If you've been anywhere on the internet chances are you've seen one of Cassandra Calin's comics. Her signature style and humor is on point in this collection broaching subjects ranging from the Expectations vs Reality of cutting bangs to being a Harry Potter fan nearing your 30's.

Every page is filled with funny and relatable content that makes you feel seen. What I really liked is that over 80% of these comics were new to me so it makes me want to check her website more often. I really enjoyed this!

Hilarious! I love when these comics pop up on facebook, and now to see a whole book of the curly haired person so like myself made my day! Cannot wait to see more!

Hahaha, this made me laugh SO much.
I loved it💖
Although this doesn't specifically have a certain plot, kind like four-shot-minis, they're all so relatable and adorable! The art style really made me smile, and I'm excited to check out the author and the rest of her stuff online💫

This book is so good I went through it twice back to back then made my husband look at it the third time because I was laughing so much he was curious. Cassandra May be my soulmate except she’s way more talented than me and the humor is spot on and paired perfectly throughout this super cute “year in the life of” formatted graphic greatness! Preordered already too!

I adore how quirky and relatable these comics are!!! I’ve run across her work a few times on IG, but when I saw this on Netgalley I had to read it. Some of my favorites are the expectations vs reality and the hair related ones. I laughed so hard!!

The worse thing about this collection is that it ends... Okay, but seriously, it got to a point where I was laughing out loud with tears in my eyes. Calin has a talent for making the mundane and relatable funny.

I’ve read similar comics online and off in the past that follow the same genre. However, none matched up to the pure joy I had with these. Every page and the collection as a whole is a joint feel-good experience and would make the perfect reading material for other creatives and/or introverts. My only woe as I said before (and isn't actually a woe at all) is that I just wish there was more!

Nonetheless, I recommend it highly.

✨E-ARC provided by Netgalley & Andrews Mcmeel Publishing for an honest review. Thank you!

Refreshing, humorous, and relatable! I was laughing the entire time while reading. I enjoyed this so much, I wish it were longer. I highly recommend this if you're in need of a pick me up or are looking for some laughs.

Montreal-based webcomic artist Cassandra Calin's art has been featured on sites such as Buzzfeed, and here is a collection of her comics in printed form! Calin's comics celebrate some of the finer things in life (i.e. taking off pants at the end of the day), the challenges of being a woman (why do your hair expectations never manifest into hair reality?????), and the ever daunting life of a "grown-up" (Dun-dun-DUN!). A gorgeous, funny, and heartfelt collection, "I Left the House Today!" is sure to put a smile on your face, and maybe brave leaving the house to go to the bookstore/library to grab a copy of this book!

This was an absolute delight. So funny and 100% relatable. The art is gorgeous. Loved, loved, loved this little gem.

Four stars

As a person who enjoys comics but would not classify myself as an avid reader of them, I can say that I very much enjoyed this. There's nothing particularly deep happening here (anticipated versus real beauty faux pas, period drama, hairy legs, and bugs!), but it's an entertaining and likely relatable read for most folks who would pick this up in the first place.

There were a lot of knowing head nods and moments of commiseration on my end: a great, quick read.

I haven't been typically picking up comics as an adult, but having read Calin's book, I guess that has to change. Girl, this was HILARIOUS. "I Left the House Today!" is a very relatable collection of scenes from the author's life. Each page presents a new casual situation in a quirky and funny way involving hanging out with a boyfriend, friends, curly hair struggles, education, body image, and fashion disasters.

As far as the illustrations are concerned, I think it's important to point out that Calin isn't just a talented cartoonist, but also one who presents women's appearance and body in a realistic way, including fat and cellulite, which is very appealing to me as someone who's sick of unrealistic portrayal of women's bodies everywhere you go.

Since I very much appreciated the humor and skillful drawings, I couldn't believe it when I finished the book. This is, of course, a good thing, but I do think it could have been longer or at least contained more text with humorous encounters. Nevertheless, I would gladly buy this edition as a heartwarming present for a good friend.

*Thank you to the Publisher for a free advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Oh my God, I enjoyed this book so much! I was constantly laughing out loud while reading it. It was super funny and super relatable! It's uncanny how relatable it was. Really enjoyed it very much!

This was such a quick and fun read! The illustrations were adorable and I found some of the situations really funny and relatable. Would recommend!

Thanks to Andrews McMeel Publishing for the ARC!
Oh my god, this is hilarious!! I needed these good laughs today.
Amazing book!! I totally recommend it to everyone.

I love this collection!
It's so damn relatable! And yes, I have been waiting for this collection for years!
The artist is familiar to me as I have been following her on Instagram for a long time now. So many instances in this collection are relatable and funny when it's illustrated like that. I just wish it was more elaborate and at least 200 pages long. When a comic book is good, this always happens: I want more!
I am so going to reread this collection over and over again because this kind of relatable comic collection helps me calm down when anxiety hits unexpectedly. I am so glad I got this copy of #ILeftTheHouseToday through #NetGalley
Thank you so much! I really needed this!

Calin's collection of semi-autobiographical comics is humorous and relatable. The main character is a 20-something women with curly hair that she can never quite get under control. There are a lot of expectation vs. reality scenarios pictured in this book that are all too real...thinking contouring will make you look like a fabulous fashion model when in fact it makes you look like someone who sucks at contouring.

This is a quick read that is easy to pick up as you have spare moments since it is comprised of 1 page comics. The main character is quirky, doesn't always want to leave the house, and somewhat insecure. She is someone that a lot of people could relate to.

I recommend this book for people who are looking for a fun, light read.

This was really funny, and disturbingly accurate. Calin has an incredibly distinctive style, and her self-deprecating sense of humor makes her very relatable. Her comics somehow manage to be consistently fresh; there was little to no repetition. Recommended for young women who feel that adulting is just way too challenging sometimes.

This book is so relatable and funny! It shows curly girl problems, introvert problems and more. Just such an engaging comic book!

I've been following Cassandra on tumblr and instagram for a very long time and the book does not disappoint at all. I feel like I went through an entire "year" of feelings and seasons with her and her mind.

My favorite pages are those that have to do with curly hair (it's a real problem!!) and anything that dealt with facial angles!

*Disclaimer: I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I have never related to a comic collection more than I did reading through this one! As a fuzzy-haired homebody who loves wearing leggings and snuggling up in massive blankets, I related so much to these comics.

The illustration style is perfect for the style of humour and the characterisation felt like it was done really well. Despite each comic being a contained story, they flowed well together so it didn't feel like a jarring reading experience at all.

Overall I would highly recommend this book, especially at the current time. It's a great little pick-me-up and I would love to read more of this author's comics.

4 out of 5 stars!

I was really surprised with how my I ended up enjoying this. I found myself chuckling and rereading panels. Really humorous and appropriately relatable content.

I am not an avid comic book reader, I can count on my fingers of one hand the number of times I have read comics. But something about this drew me in and I could not believe my luck when I was selected for an arc review.

I left the house today! comprises of hilarious snippets of the artist’s life. These were so relatable and funny, it took just half an hour to complete the whole book. I loved the way she illustrates some of the most awkward situation in the most iconically comical way possible. The artist also included close friends and her boyfriend’s responses in regards to her adorable retorts. I loved it when she illustrates the desperate attempts to have a good hairdo but the hair have plans such as being unruly and unmanageable. and when you stay in, all cozy and warm but life butts in and you need to leave the inviting comforts of your house and so on. Like I said earlier, highly relatable.

I had an amazing time reading and to sum up the whole book in just one what would be – AWESOME.

Thank you netgalley, the author and publisher for providing an arc in exchange for an honest review.

Loved this book! Can relate to so many of her drawings and I had many laugh out loud moments. I follow artists like Debbie Tung, Sarah Andersen, Lucy Knisley and now Cassandra is one I will always watch for. Hilarious! Just started following on Instagram. Will be ordering for our store

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an ARC of this awesome graphic novel!

This was the most enjoyable book I have read in a long time! It was made up of beautiful and hilarious illustrations, and there were several times that I actually chucked out loud. Being able to read it all in one sitting made the experience all the more fun. Each page told a different story, yet they were all connected to each other in one way or another through the characters.

I have not been into graphic novels until recently, but I absolutely loved this! I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a lovely yet funny read.

*I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for a review*

I thought this little graphic novel was cute. It was very short, and there really wasn't much reading involved as it was mostly pictures. The art style was VERY cute, and I found the content pretty relatable as a 22-year-old gal. I only gave it 3 stars because I like my graphic novels to have a little more substance; I would've liked to have more of a story to read rather than mainly looking at the pictures. I think anyone in their 20s would enjoy this short read, especially if they are in a relationship, and it has some cute comics about that. It's definitely a book I could see leaving on my coffee table or something to have my friends flip through when they come over for wine nights.

This is a hilarious, accurate and relatable collection of comics. I absolutely loved reading this and it could even be a cute gift for someone.

I really enjoyed this collection of comics. There were so many relatable sections (my favorite was probably the brushing your hair expectations vs reality!). The art style is simple, but that doesn't mean it's not beautifully done!

This book is a series of short "stories", one per page, all funny and relatable. The artwork is simple, sophisticated and a big part of the "funny" aspect of the book. The exaggeration in some of the characters reactions and expressions makes the situations even funnier. Although the author relies on those tools quite a lot, I didn't think it was repetitive, because the situations themselves are already funny.
I have seen some of the author's art online and have always thought her style was really cute. I would love to see a longer comic from her, with a central plot and everything, I think it would be great.