The Conscious Creative

Practical Ethics for Purposeful Work

Pub Date 04 Aug 2020 | Archive Date 23 Aug 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheConsciousCreative #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

An actionable guide to mindfulness and practical ethics for any creative professional who wants to make a living without selling their soul.

It can be difficult to live according to our values in a complicated world. At a time when capitalism seems most unforgiving but the need for paying work remains high, it is important to learn how we can be more mindful and intentional about our impact — personal, social, economic, and environmental.

As designer and creative director Kelly Small had to do to navigate a crisis of ethics and burnout in their career in advertising, we can admit our complicity in problematic systems and take on the responsibility of letting our own conscience guide our decisions.

Start with one or many of these 100+ rigorously researched, ultra-practical action steps:

• Co-create and collaborate
  • Get obsessed with accessibility
  • Demand diverse teams
  • Commit to self-care
  • Make ethics a competitive edge
  • Be mindful of privilege
  • Create for empowerment, not exploitation

With a humorous and irreverent tone, Small reveals how when we release unnecessary judgement and become action-oriented, we can clarify the complicated business of achieving an ethical practice in the creative industries. Discover the power of incremental, positive changes in our daily work-lives and the fulfillment of purposeful work.

It can be difficult to live according to our values in a...

Send to Kindle (PDF)

The detailed book offers a wonderful tool kit for entrepreneurs and other professionals who engage in "creative" (truly could be a broad definition here) work and wish to do so more ethically and mindfully. I was impressed with the sheer amount of research and breadth that this book covered -- at times it read quite technical -- and have not yet come across a work like this that addresses so many elements modern creatives face. I hope, too, that this book will make its way into individuals' hands who haven't yet thought about these ideas (particularly a number of influencers). This should be required reading in the creative space right now.