The Monster in the Hollows

The Wingfeather Saga Book 3

Pub Date 06 Oct 2020 | Archive Date 31 Jan 2021

Talking about this book? Use #TheMonsterintheHollows #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

PUBLISHERS WEEKLY BESTSELLER • Now in hardcover for the first time, featuring all-new illustrations! Things are about to go from bad to wolf in the howlingly entertaining third book of the Wingfeather Saga.

Janner, Tink, and Leeli Igiby, the Lost Jewels of Anniera, are hiding from Gnag the Nameless in the Green Hollows, one of the few places in the land of Aerwiar not overrun by the Fangs of Dang. But there's a big problem. Janner's little brother--heir to the throne of Anniera--has grown a tail. And gray fur. Not to mention two pointed ears and long, dangerous fangs. To the suspicious folk of the Green Hollows, he looks like a monster.

But Janner knows better. His brother isn't as scary as he looks. He's perfectly harmless. Isn't he?

Full of characters rich in heart, smarts, and courage, The Monster in the Hollows is a tale children of all ages will cherish, families can read aloud, and readers' groups are sure to enjoy discussing for its many layers of meaning. Extra features include new interior illustrations from Joe Sutphin, funny footnotes, a map of the fantastical world, inventive appendices, and fanciful line art in the tradition of the original Frank L. Baum Wizard of Oz storybooks.

The story continues. I enjoyed the different points of view in different chapters. Parts of this story took me by surprise (no spoiler). The end of the book definitely leaves you anxious for the next one.

This book is exceptional. I'm re-reading the entire series (again!) with my 11-year-old, and I flew through book 3 to get it into her hands. With all the adventure in books 1 & 2, I'm glad for the pace of this book -- a real chance to catch your breath before the final book of the series. I cannot wait to add these new illustrated hardback versions to our collection.