Breathe Again

Choosing to Believe There’s More When Life Has Left You Broken

Pub Date 22 Sep 2020 | Archive Date 01 Nov 2020
Emanate Books, Thomas Nelson

Talking about this book? Use #BreatheAgainBook #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

What Do You Do When It Seems God Hasn’t Come Through for You?

How could a loving God allow this to happen?What do you do when it seems God has let you down?Is God trustworthy?

Links to an in-depth study guide and 5-part video teaching series are available on stacyhenaganbook.com.

What Do You Do When It Seems God Hasn’t Come Through for You?

Send To Kindle (PDF)

The death of a child is a road we don’t wish our worst enemy to have to travel down. Stacy Henagan takes our hand and walks us through this personal Hell. A beautiful daughter almost 1 years old. Cancer. Praying for a miracle, believing for healing and then that road you don’t want to go down, but are dragged down it kicking and screaming? Yes, Stacy has soldiered that painful road. Stacy’s memoir of dealing with grief is no holds bared. It’s the kind that scrapes your heart so raw you don’t know if God will be able to heal it. She gives us that honest look at how her own faith morphed and changed. Stacy is a gracious host who shows us that even though that road beats you up, you can get through to the end and come out stronger. Would your faith survive something like this? I, personally have no children of my own, but disease isn’t a prospector of persons. Tragedy touches us all at some point and we have to decide if we are going to weather our spiritual storm? I received my complimentary digital copy of Breathe Again by Stacy Henagan from Thomas Nelson and Emanate Books, care of NetGalley and TLC Book Tours. The views expressed are mine and of my own choice. Grab a stunning copy off of Amazon. Thank you Stacy for sharing your daughter’s story and your faith journey through weathering your own personal storm.

A heartbreaking but hopeful story, Stacy Henagan's young daughter passed away after a 10-month battle with cancer. From the very beginning of the book, you know this will happen. Stacy then backs you up to the diagnosis, through her daughter's death, and life after. She's honest about loss, doubt and struggling with God's goodness. There are portions that felt long-winded or unnecessary, but it's still one I'd recommend to those who believe in God but are walking through a difficult situation or grieving the loss of a loved one.

"Sometimes it's the small decisions we make that have the greatest impact on our future." ⁣⁣ When the miracle-working God whom Pastor Stacy Henagan loved and served did not answer the prayers on behalf of her terminally ill one-year-old daughter as expected, she was left crushed with grief and struggling to understand.⁣⁣ Rather than choosing to remain in overwhelming pain and doubt, Stacy emerged with a much greater belief that God is good and trustworthy, even when we don’t think His plans make sense.⁣⁣ __________⁣⁣ ⁣⁣"Joy flows from the fixation of the mind's eye." This book absolutely wrecked me. Reading about another mama's loss of her child broke my heart. I think I cried at least once in every chapter. BUT...this book is also filled with light and hope. If you've ever wondered how someone can go through a heart-wrenching loss and still keep faith in Jesus, this book is for you. I was highly encouraged and challenged by Stacy's words. She's incredibly vulnerable as she shares about her deep grief and how it affected her relationship with Christ. "No matter what level our pain is, God can give it purpose." I think this will be the most impactful non-fiction read of the year for me.

Thank you to Netgalley and Thomas Nelson Publishing for the Advanced Reader Copy of this book. All views and opinions are my own. Recently, I've read a handful of faith based, self-help/devotional style books that were, for lack of a better word, fluffy. So needless to say, going into the book I had some trepidation wondering if it would be more of the same. Rest assured. This book is not fluffy. Sadie Henagan bases the foundation of her book around loss, pain, and the age old question "how can a good God allow bad things to happen?" She weaves these themes around the loss of her own daughter who, at roughly two years old, passed away due to a terminal brain tumor. This book is raw and transparent. And Sadie digs deep into the Bible as she walks through her struggle with the reader. If you are currently struggling with asking "why, God?" this is a wonderful book to pick up. And even if you aren't asking why while the hurt is residing in the same space as trust, this is still a great book. I would rate this book a PG.

In Breathe Again, Stacy Henagan walks us through one of her darkest moments...but she somehow manages to keep it inspiring and full of faith. If I had to walk that same journey, I’m not sure I’d be able to maintain the dignity that she did. I believe in Jesus - but I’m not sure my faith is strong enough some days to keep me from flinging myself over the edge...then again, I haven’t done that yet - so maybe it is. One of the things she said that stopped me in my tracks was “God didn’t bring me through what I’ve endured for me to remain silent.” I believe with all my heart that most of the battles and struggles we go through are so that we can help others when they go through similar situations, 100% to my core believe that. My husband and I have been through some things in our marriage - and I think we could help others, but I get caught up in the thinking that no one really cares what I have to say. For Stacy to so bravely share her story really resonated with me. She is a refreshing voice, and I hope she will write more in the future.