Good Apple

Tales of a Southern Evangelical in New York

Pub Date 19 Jan 2021 | Archive Date Not set
Nelson Books, Thomas Nelson

Talking about this book? Use #GoodApple #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

“For a woman who thinks of herself as a New Yorker at this point, I buy a lot of clothes from companies named things like Shrimp & Grits. Why? Because identity is complicated.”

Elizabeth Passarella is content with being complicated. She grew up in Memphis in a conservative, Republican family with a Christian mom and a Jewish dad. Then she moved to New York, fell in love with the city—and, eventually, her husband—and changed. Sort of. While her politics have tilted to the left, she still puts her faith first—and argues that the two can go hand in hand, for what it’s worth.

In this sharp and slyly profound memoir, Elizabeth shares stories about everything from conceiving a baby in an unair-conditioned garage in Florida to finding a rat in her bedroom. She upends stereotypes about Southerners, New Yorkers, and Christians, making a case that we are all flawed humans simply doing our best. Good Apple is a hilarious, welcome celebration of the absurdity, chaos, and strange sacredness of life that brings us all together, whether we have city lights or starry skies in our eyes. More importantly, it’s about the God who pursues each of us, no matter our own inconsistencies or failures, and shows us the way back home.

Elizabeth Passarella...

Advance Praise

“With sly humor, ecumenical warmth, and disarming frankness, Elizabeth Passarella builds bridges between red and blue and North and South. Good Apple makes a strong case for New York City as the kingdom of God—and for hand-written thank-you notes.” — Ada Calhoun, New York Times bestelling author of Why We Can't Sleep

"I, a total heathen, love this book. Elizabeth Passarella understands that none of us is as simple as any one of our labels might suggest. Not religious? Not a Southerner or a New Yorker? All the more reason to read Good Apple." — Mary Laura Philpott, author of I Miss You When I Blink

"Elizabeth Passarella is a terrible Christian woman of low breeding and ill repute, which is exactly why you should read this book. Those are my favorite kinds of authors!" —Harrison Scott Key, author of World's Largest Man and Congratulations, Who are You Again?

"In the comedic confounded-believer tradition of Anne Lamott, Elizabeth Passarella redefines 'good faith' for me (an atheist Jewish pro-choice New Yorker). I laughed at all her jokes, dog-eared all my favorite pages, admired her fearlessness, and felt abiding curiosity about her beliefs. She’s building a bridge to get us all to the same human side of things—and to save us there."—Catherine Newman, author of How to Be a Person

Send To Kindle (PDF)