Stand a Little Out of My Sun

Pub Date 04 Aug 2020 | Archive Date 04 Dec 2020
Nature's Light Press, Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA), Members' Titles

Talking about this book? Use #StandaLittleOutofMySun #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Stand a Little Out of My Sun captures the dramatic crosscurrents of life within the folds of a Greek American family in Chicago's Industrial Southeast Side during the fifties.

The core of this multigenerational and multicultural story tests the bounds of a family's loyalty and its astonishing mercy under impossible circumstances.

"Sophie looked into her Yiayia's soulful eyes, which regarded the world fearlessly, and thought she was the most extraordinary woman she had ever known. Sophie felt great ambition to be like her."

Includes Book Club / Readers Group questions.

The core of this...

A Note From the Publisher

ebook - 978-1-7347260-1-5

ebook - 978-1-7347260-1-5

Advance Praise

“The setting is so well realized in Angelyn Voss’ riveting novel that I now feel familiar with the East Side of Chicago during the 1950s. The reader is immediately drawn into the joys and tragedy of an amazing immigrant Greek family. The first generation, while clinging to their old ways, teaches a moving lesson of forgiveness and understanding.”
– Margaret J. Anderson, book club member, author, Searching for Shona, From a Place Far Away, and In the Keep of Time

“The author paints a vivid picture of the East Side, with its vibrant, colorful neighborhoods, and passionate voices of familiar characters.”
– Antigone Polite, Greek Chicagoan, pharmacist

“This powerful, touching tale challenges the reader to imagine forgiveness under the most impossible circumstances. It’s the best novel I’ve read this year.”
– Pat Eshleman, Clinical Research Director, RN

Marketing Plan

Strong social media campaign - Summer through 2021

Featured in Willamette Writers publication, Timberline Review Summer 2020 - speaker at their Summer announcement event.

Direct mail campaign to data base of Northwest and Chicago area.

National Library campaign to ALA libraries.

Bookstore/Library campaign to Norwest, Midwest and Greek Communities.

Strong social media campaign - Summer through 2021

Direct mail campaign to data...

EDITION Paperback

I was not sure when I started this book if I had mistaken it for a children’s book. However, I am so glad that I continued to read it. I could not put the book down. I was absorbed by the descriptions of life as an immigrant from Greece to USA. Set in the 1950’s -60’s with the hardships and poverty of life for many in 50’s Greece, it’s sobering and alarming that history repeated itself to some extent in Greece in 21st century. Much to love about this book including traditions, culture, belonging, love, and hope. Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book for an honest review.