Girl One

A Novel

Pub Date 01 Jun 2021 | Archive Date 01 Jun 2021

Orphan Black meets Margaret Atwood in this twisty supernatural thriller about female power and the bonds of sisterhood

Josephine Morrow is Girl One, the first of nine Miracle Babies conceived without male DNA on an experimental commune known as the Homestead. The Girls were raised in the shadow of controversy—plagued by zealots calling them aberrations and their mothers demons—until a devastating fire at the Homestead claimed the lives of three people, leaving the survivors to scatter across the United States.

Years later, upon learning that her mother has gone missing, Josie sets off on a desperate road trip, tracking down the only people who might help: her estranged sisters. Tracing clues her mother left behind, Josie joins forces with two of the Girls, and they journey back through their past, uncovering secrets about their origins and unlocking devastating abilities they never knew they had.

Girl One
combines the provocative imagination of Naomi Alderman’s The Power with the propulsive, cinematic storytelling of a Marvel movie. In her electrifying, wildly entertaining new novel, Sara Flannery Murphy delivers a rousing tale of love, ambition, power, and the extraordinary bonds of sisterhood.

Josephine Morrow’s mother is missing and clues to her disappearance are scattered due to fire at her home. Their relationship is not normal though for Josephine doesn’t have a father, at least not a biological one. She was the first of nine babies that were a genetic experiment designed to emphasize female dominance. Mystery, violence and murder surround the search impacting many lives. Sara Flannery Murphy develops the story with supernatural manifestations being unexpected and delightful. Recommended for science fiction enthusiasts. I look forward to reading more from this author. #GirlOne #NetGalley Thank you NetGalley for providing me the opportunity to review and provide feedback on “Girl One”.

Girl One is fine reading, complete with twists and turns. The loved the pulsing nature of the prose, and would recommend this author’s work. Gripping and well-developed.

Josephine Morrow is Girl One, the first of nine “Miracle Babies” conceived without male DNA, raised on an experimental commune known as the Homestead. Years later, her mother goes missing, and she sets off on a quest to find her mother, and answers. I read this book in one feverish sitting. Perfectly paced, this book had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. It's a thriller, fantasy, and mystery rolled into one, and Murphy truly takes us on a wild ride. I absolutely loved this book. The writing, plot, pace - all fantastic. I cannot wait for this book to be out.