Not For Luck

Pub Date 01 Jan 2021 | Archive Date 28 Feb 2021

Talking about this book? Use #NotForLuck #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Selected by Mark Doty for the 2019 Wheelbarrow Books Poetry Prize

In Not For Luck, Derek Sheffield ushers us into the beauty and grace that comes from giving attention to the interconnections that make up our lives. In particular, these poems explore a father’s relationship with his daughters, which is rooted in place and time. There is tenderness and an abiding ecological consciousness, but also loss and heartache, especially about environmental degradation. We are invited to listen to the languages of other beings. Through encounters with a herd of deer, a circle of salmon in a mountain creek, two bears on a stretch of coast, a river otter, and a shiny-eyed wood rat, these poems offer moments of wonder that celebrate our place as one species among many on our only earth.
Selected by Mark Doty for the 2019 Wheelbarrow Books Poetry Prize

Advance Praise

“Derek Sheffield writes with a marvelous dual vision, coalescing details of the natural and human worlds, illuminating moments that sparkle and shimmer within.” —ARTHUR SZE, author of Sight Lines, winner of the 2019 National Book Award

Send To Kindle (PDF)