Marathon Mum

How one woman's fight for mental health inspired a running revolution

Pub Date 04 Mar 2021 | Archive Date 03 Mar 2021

Talking about this book? Use #MarathonMum #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

'It's the finish line, not the finish time.'

In the late 80s, our Rachel was having a boss time as a podium dancer at the Pleasuredrome, Birkenhead. Fast forward several years and she's married, with the kids she's always dreamed of, but the body she's always dreaded. To make things worse, her husband Trevor begins to show his true controlling colours and Rachel blames herself, spiralling into depression.

Until she discovers running.

Buzzing from her epiphany, the 'Forrest Gump of the Mersey' is derided by Trevor, but catches the attention of some local women, all struggling and vulnerable in their own ways. These disparate women persuade Rachel to lead them in a running club, to get a bit of whatever she's on, where they all discover more than the mere chance to shed a few pounds in this burgeoning sisterhood.

Dealing with the dark and many faces of depression with a refreshing lightness of touch unique to this working-class woman from the Wirral, Marathon Mum is an uplifting story of the healing to be found in community, and the corners we can turn when we push ourselves across the line.

'It's the finish line, not the finish time.'

EDITION Paperback