A Warrior's Heart

Pub Date 31 Aug 2021 | Archive Date 30 Sep 2021
Bethany House, Bethany House Publishers

Talking about this book? Use #AWarriorsHeart #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Her heart longs for peace, but peace won't keep them safe.

Brielle Durand is still haunted by the massacre that killed her mother a dozen years before. Vowing to never let it happen again, she's risen to be the key defender for her people's peace-loving French settlement living in hidden caves in the Canadian Rockies. When a foreigner wanders too near to their secret home, she has no choice but to disarm and capture him. But now, what to do with this man who insists he can be trusted?

Hoping to escape past regrets, Evan MacManus ventured into the unknown, assigned to discover if the northern mountains contain an explosive mineral that might help America win the War of 1812. Despite being taken prisoner, Evan is determined to complete his mission. But when that assignment becomes at odds with his growing appreciation of the villagers and Brielle, does he follow through on his promise to his government or take a risk on where his heart is leading him? Either choice will cause harm to someone.

Brielle and Evan must reconcile the warring in their hearts to have any hope of finding peace for their peoples.

Praise for Misty M. Beller

"Misty Beller is a new author well worth watching out for."--LAURAINE SNELLING, author of The Red River of the North series

"I've long been a Misty Beller fan and her books don't disappoint."--TRACIE PETERSON, bestselling author

"Misty M. Beller brings the nineteenth-century American frontier to vivid life!"--LAURA FRANTZ, Christy Award-winning author of The Lacemaker
Her heart longs for peace, but peace won't keep them safe.

A WOMAN WARRIOR?? A group of people who have hidden for years. And when a stranger finds them she has to protect them. And so, as the head soldier, she does. But she is a woman!!! THIS story is amazing . . . .totally 100% worth reading and enjoying.

I was not sure I was going to enjoy this as it started. BUT I was wrong!! I was quickly swept up in Brielle and Evan’s story. I am eagerly awaiting book 2 in this series. ***I was given an ARC of this story in exchange for my honest opinion. These words and thoughts are mine alone.

I really enjoyed this book. This author, Misty M. Beller is a very gifted author. When she writes a book you really feel like you are there in the midst of it. This story about Brielle, the daughter of the chief of Laurent, and Evan is so good you just can't seem to put it down. I could really picture the area and see in my mind's eye what was going on. The book just pulls you right into it. I highly recommend it.

Misty Beller writes novels with strong women who are ahead of their times for the positions of leadership they fill. Brielle Durand is the protector of her village of Laurent, and when she sees a stranger heading toward the village. Ever since her mother and several other villagers were massacred by interlopers, Brielle has been hyper-vigilant. She notches her arrow and takes aim at the stranger and shoots him in the side. She brings this stranger into the village for the purpose of finding out why he was there. Evan MacManus has been charged with finding a source of pitchblende, a mineral that could end an ongoing war, commonly known as the War of 1812, but he is not willing to disclose the reason for being in the area. He wants to fulfill his mission, and leave, but the villagers hold him as a prisoner until he is ready to talk. I had to look up what pitchblende is, and it is a uraninite mineral with radio-active properties. The people of Laurent were living in apartments carved out of a mountain containing pitchblende. Misty does not address the health implications of living in a radio-active setting, but I'm sure the dangers were not known at the time. The longer Evan stays, the more he comes to hate his mission and the more he comes to love Brielle. He thwarts a couple of bad events that were planned by one of the hunter/warriors of the village and gains the trust of the villagers and Brielle. This novel was a delight to read and from the subtitle it is the first of a series of novels about the people of Laurent. I am hoping with great anticipation that the next ones will be just as good as this one. The romantic parts of the book were not at all smarmy, the way that the village came together in ways that showcased each member's strengths was so satisfying, and the development of the characters was realistic and engrossing. By my best guess, I'd say that the novel takes place in northern British Columbia. It's a five star book, with two thumbs up, and a well shot arrow to the heart. Bethany House and NetGalley.com provided the free copy I read for this review. All opinions expressed are solely and totally my own.

What a wonderful twist on life in the Canadian frontier. Evan is on a mission for the American government when he’s shot by an arrow. He finds his captor is a woman, as beautiful as she is fierce. He’s held captive in Laurent, a community of isolated people who’ve built homes inside a mountain, and lived there peacefully for the past hundred years. Soon Evan becomes torn over his duty to his country, and his love for Brielle and her community. Is there a way to be faithful to both? This book explores the concept of letting go of our own desires and pressing into our trust in God. Excellent book, I recommend it. I received a copy of this book courtesy of Bethany House a Division of Baker Publishing Group through NetGalley. This is my honest review.

A WARRIOR'S HEART by MISTY M BELLER is an historical romantic suspense novel which takes place in the well hidden mountain community of Laurent in Canada in 1814. I really enjoy this author's novels for the strong characters with their strong faith and the very appropriate Scripture references she uses. As well as feeling the characters' emotions, the description of the harsh weather and primitive conditions makes one almost feel the freezing cold! Even in this place, where there is a strong sense of family and belonging, there is at least one villain, highlighting the imperfections of human nature. Leader of the warriors of Laurent, Brielle Durand, meets Evan MacManus,former captain in the American army, under unusual circumstances, and she and her father, together with the community leaders, are not sure what to do with him. There is no doubt that he is hiding something. Evan is determined to walk in truth, but he has not only made an oath to his country, but has also sworn to protect these people, particularly the beautiful Brielle. Can he make good on both promises? I highly recommend A Warrior's Heart as a most enjoyable and inspirational read. I was given a free copy of the book by NetGalley from Bethany House Publishers. The opinions in this review are completely my own.

Misty Beller always writes such wonderful tales! I love them! The scenery she describes is amazing and makes you feel like you are there having your own adventures. This is book one in an all brand new series! I can't wait to read more! I really liked learning about the people of Lauerent. They fascinated me and even made me kinda giggle in certain places too. I'm not going to say what happened because I don't want to spoil it for you but there's a beautiful message waiting to be discovered that we readers can use in real life. A gentle reminder that God is in control no matter the situation. Evan and Brielle. What interesting characters! I enjoyed meeting them and I hope that I will see them in the future. What a weird way to meet. Highly recommend! You'll not want to put this book down! My thanks to Bethany House publishers for a copy of this book. My opinions are my own.

This book begins a new series and the premise is quite intriguing--a settlement of peaceful people living in hidden caves in the depths of the mountains. Then a stranger wanders in. It was exciting to learn of these folks and how they'd been hidden away for so very long. And the story was rich. I look forward to more in this series. My thanks to Bethany House for a copy of this book via Net Galley. The opinion here is my own.

Enter the area around the hidden village of Laurent at your own risk! For Evan MacManus, there should have been a sign warning him. However, since there was not, we get to know a whole new set of characters in this first book in the Brides of Laurent series. Injured, but well cared for, he remains a prisoner. Will things ever change, allowing him to continue with his commission? Brielle Durand is the leader of the guards and hunters for the village of Laurent. It is 1814, and I loved how the author took a young lady and gave her the skills and fortitude to head up this most important job of safety and survival. Trust, however, was not something easily given, especially to strangers. An ARC of this first book was received through Baker Publishing Group, Bethany House Publishers and NetGalley. These impressions and comments are my own and were in no way solicited.

Brielle Durand is a warrior. She is in charge of protecting her sheltered community from outside invasion. The location is the mountains in Canada where they live in a town carved out of the mountain. It is the time of the war of 1812 between the United States and the British. The British are the ones who have invaded this colony in the past. Evan MacManus, an American working for the US Government is looking for some special mineral that will help the US win the war. When he stumbles upon the hidden colony, he is taken for British and taken prisoner. This is a very interesting story and I couldn't put it down. The historical research is impeccable and the characters are fascinating. I can't wait to read the next book in this series! I have voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book that I received from NetGalley. All views expressed are only my honest opinion.

This book starts what appears to me to be an excellent and exciting new series! It was quite different than previous books of this author that I have read. All of her books keep you reading. There is no putting down a book! Lot's of action. No dull moments. I can hardly wait for book 2. This new series takes place in the Canadian Rockies and a settlement of people living in caves in the mountains. It's amazing and you will not want to miss reading this. The heroine is a strong woman who is in a leadership position in this community of Laurent. There are secrets and "bad guys" and sweet romance. You will love. I know that I did! I received an ebook copy from the author through NetGalley. All thoughts are my own.

A Warrior's Heart is an amazing story of a village that is hidden away in the Canadian wilderness and the people that live there and have for several generations. Brielle is the leader of the hunters and protectors of Laurent and when she sees a man coming toward their hidden village she takes action to protect the people she loves. She has no idea what is in store for her but her world is about to change. Evan is traveling deep into the Canadian Rockies in search of pitchblende. It is a mineral that he and others hope with help the Americans win the war with England. This mineral could save thousands of lives and he is on a secret mission to find it. This is a great story and beginning for Brielle and Evan. There is danger, mistrust, evil, kindness, and so much more. The characters are all well thought out and interesting. I was quickly wrapped up in the lives of these people and wanted more. I love how this author shows us the strength that women from this era possessed. Brielle is a strong woman that has earned her place as leader of the warriors in her group but she also has a heart and wants to be loved as well. I also loved that she shows Evan as a strong man who is dedicated to his mission but who also has compassion for others. Just a great story and I can't wait for more.

I just finished this amazing book with tears in my eyes! I couldn't put it down once I started it. Even the cover of the book is beautiful and helps us to see a little of the village of Laurent. Ms. Beller writes stories that touch your heart and this book has you tied in knots. I don't know what to say because I don't want to give anything away that would take from your enjoyment. The characters are wonderful and just about all of them will make their way into your heart as you learn about their lives and the battles they have fought. I'm glad this is just the first book in this series because I want to learn so much more about them. This book has all the things I enjoy, people that put their trust in God, suspense, mystery and romance! I received a free download of this book from the publisher and Netgalley. This review is my own honest opinion of an awesome book!

Misty has a way of crafting the characters and surroundings in her stories, always near the end, you are caught and spellbound, wanting to see how the story ends. My only complaint is always that I want to hear more, what happens in the next chapter for these characters that you feel are real people. Great story, well worth your time to read this story.

What a wonderful start to a new series! It's an action packed adventure about a hidden group of people that have lived caves for years and are discovered. The author pulls you into the story and makes it come alive. This is a book you don't want to miss. I received a complimentary copy of this book from Misty M Beller and Bethany House Publishers via NetGalley and was not required to write a review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Read if you like: Canadian history, war of 1812. - This book was really fun! Brielle and her village were French settlers that moved into caves and basically cut themselves off from the world for a century. - Brielle wants to protect her people because the last time their village was found there were negative consequences. So when Evan stumbles upon the village, he is taken prisoner. - I really love how Beller took Canadian history and created her own story within history, which was really fun! I loved Brielle and how strong she was. She really wants to do what’s best for her people! - CW: sexism and misogyny, violence, death of a parent, sexual harassment.

A balanced blend of American history, family background, and Christian romance. A Warrior's Heart is the first book in Author Misty M. Beller's Brides of Laurent series, and I'm excited to see what she has in store for us with her future books. A prolific writer of American history, Beller brings the Western and Frontier world to you in a thoughtful, character driven story. This new tale is part of one of her five different series, and I highly recommend you read her books if you love Christian Historical fiction. We meet Brielle Durand on the hunt. She's tracking an interloper across the outskirts of her settlement which is hidden in the caves of the Canadian Rockies. As a leader of her people, she will never forget the tragedy which struck her secret village over twelve years before. A massacre killed several including her own mother. A peaceful encampment, Brielle is determined to never let outsiders into her home again. Evan MacManus doesn't realize he's about to become the prey. His mission is to find an explosive material in the Northern mountains. This incendiary element is supposed to be within the mountains according to the descriptions and directions provided by an old trapper's diary. He needs the material to help bring an end to the War of 1812. A war that has brought him immense loss and grief. During the telling of each story, our main characters inner turmoil and dialogue assists in developing their burgeoning relationship. Brielle wants to trust Evan, but the wounds of her past are still fresh, and she isn't sure she's ready to believe her instincts about him. Evan struggles to tell the truth, but not the whole truth, of why he was traveling so near their encampment. He didn't even realize it was there, and he knows there's a chance their home could be the location he needs. Brielle is a courageous and valiant female character, and Evan is a unflinching and forgiving male character whose personal growth and mutual respect heighten over time. With secrets between the two, the bitter past, and conflict rising in the settlement, readers are treated to the characters' experiences and adventures. As they reveal their truths, both develop a deeper friendship. Neither want their fears and doubts to plague their growing trust and deepening feelings for each other. However, the antagonism of one of Laurent's people forces Brielle and Evan to make choices they hope they don't regret. A Warrior's Heart is an inspiring and uplifting read about second chances, the strength of community, integrity, and faith. Brielle and Evan are a thoughtful couple who show how prayer and compassion can help heal scarred hearts, and how the Lord brings all things together for the good of His creation. Author Misty M. Beller gives readers sweet, meaningful encounters between the main characters and secondary characters as well as the depth of family within Laurent. It had me wishing there was even more background to all of the secondary characters who I came to love. A stirring, memorable story that readers will love. The 19th Century is brought to life once more in this newest novel about the American West, and it sheds light on the compassion, sensitivity, and humanity each character's life brings to the story. I loved it - with a 4/5 rating, and I encourage you to pick up your copy today! Thanks to Bethany House Publishers, Netgalley, and the author for an ARC copy to read and review!

I am totally hooked on this series, and cannot wait for the second installment. Set in 1814 in the Rocky Mountains of Canada, the story follows female warrior Brielle Durand and US Army spy Evan MacManus. In an effort to protect the village of Laurent, Brielle takes Evan captive, but will he end up being the invader or the protector of Laurent? Will Evan decide to rely on his own strength and reasoning, or is there someone else on whom he can safely rely? Readers will greatly enjoy discovering the answers to these questions. Misty M. Beller has a unique voice within the genre of historical fiction. She creates strong protagonists through allowing their vulnerabilities to show alongside their strengths. She squarely places her readers within the stunning beauty as well as the harsh realities of life in the mountains, shoulder to shoulder with her characters. I am grateful to have received a copy of A Warrior's Heart from Bethany House via NetGalley without obligation. All opinions expressed here are my own.

Another inspiring mountain tale from Misty M. Beller! A Warrior’s Heart is a great start to Beller’s new Brides of Laurent series. It has a very interesting premise and setting, and I’m so excited to see more of these characters in upcoming books. I highly recommend this one to readers who enjoy a bit of adventure, romance, and faith in their books. 4/5 stars I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

loved this story of a peace-loving French settlement hidden in caves in the Canadian Rockies in the early 1800s! The female protagonist, Brielle Durand, was the amazing leader of their guard! I admired the respect she received from most of the male guards. The male protagonist, Evan MacManus, was an exceptional man who is searching for an explosive mineral for the American military to use in the War of 1812 and gets too close to Brielle's village and is taken prisoner! Due to a massacre a few years ago, the people of Laurent do not trust outsiders and only have contact with one Indian tribe. They have no idea what is going on in the world and do not know about "new" inventions. I do not know if a settlement like this really existed or not, but it was fascinating to read about. I recommend A Warrior's Heart to anyone who enjoys historical fiction and am anxious to read the next book in this series. I received an advance copy of A Warrior's Heart from the author and Bethany House. This is my honest opinion.

Evan MacManas is on a specail mission to find a mineral called pitchblend. When he stumbles across a hidden village of french decendents and is shot by an arrow by a warrior lady. While he is kept as a prisoner, he begins to fall in love with the warrior lady who shot him. This is a different Misty Beller story but the developing feelings between Evan and the lady warrior,Brielle, makes for an interesting love story that has a feel good ending.

My review today is on the Historical Romance, A Warrior's Heart. This is the first book in the series Brides of Laurent. This is an awesome book. It's a different concept from her usual stories but I really enjoyed it and look forward to the next book. It's well written and will touch your heart. Brielle Durand is the head of protection in her hidden village. The village has been hidden in mountain caves for decades. Their only visitors are the Indian tribes around them. She is out on a hunt when she sees a strange man heading towards her home. She watches him carefully until he crosses a line that she has set in her mind. She shoots him with an arrow dipped in a sedative compound. She takes him into the village as a prisoner. They need to decide what to do with him. Did he come to destroy them as men massacred the village years ago and killed her mother? Evan MacManus had lost all and is now in the Northwest on a mission for the army. He needs to find an explosive mineral that will help them win the War of 1812. He is shot with an arrow but this is no Indian that has captures him. He wakes in a dark cave with an armed guard. Where is he and who are these people? An interesting journey of two broken souls. Brielle must keep the village safe at all costs. Evan must return with the mineral that is in the walls of the village. God has a plan for these two, a plan for hope and a future. God has a plan for you too; a plan for peace and not for destruction even in this time of turmoil. Give Him your heart and watch Him move in your life.

Having read a number of Misty Beller's books, I was looking forward to reading A Warrior's Heart. I thoroughly enjoyed the story. The setting was so unique. Beller often has as the main character one who identified as a mountain man or mountain doctor, or the series name include different mountain ranges. In A Warrior's Heart, the community is secluded in caves carved out of the Canadian Rockies. I enjoyed watching the relationship between Evan and Charlotte begin and change throughout the story as they encountered so many struggles and dangers. Strong, likable characters, realistic situations, and wonderfully descriptive scenes work together for a delightful story. Threaded throughout the book also is a faith in God--the God who hears our prayers and answers. I enjoyed this book and cannot wait for the next book in the Brides of Laurent series. I received a complimentary copy of this book from CelebrateLit and NetGalley. A favorable review is not required, and the opinions are my own.

A Warrior’s Heart was a unique and intriguing tale. It was so interesting to see how this community lived, set apart and hidden for so long. I appreciated the way Brielle and Evan got to know each other as he was held prisoner. Their interactions made a lot of sense. Both of these characters were upstanding people. Brielle was extremely protective of her village and was also a caregiver to her family and friends, working to provide them with food and comfort when they were going through difficult situations. We learn about Evan’s background and his mission throughout the story. The fact that keeping his mission secret from Brielle and the village weighed on his heart spoke volumes about the kind of man he was. Evan’s faith grew from this trial and he realized that he had to hand everything over to God in one part of the story and rely on prayer and trust in God alone and that he had not been doing that before. Evan and Brielle made a wonderful romantic pair by the end of the book and I am hopeful that we will see more of them in the future. I received a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

A Warrior's Heart by Misty M. Beller Pub Date: August 31, 2021 Bethany House Another great book by Misty M. Beller! Our patrons love inspirational books like this one. A Warrior’s Heart is a great start to Beller’s new Brides of Laurent series. It has a very interesting story and setting, and I’m so excited to see more of these characters in upcoming books. I highly recommend this one to readers who enjoy a bit of adventure, romance, and faith in their books. Thanks to Bethany House Publishers and Netgalley for the ARC. Can't wait to read book #2. 5 star

A Warrior's Heart begins Misty M Beller’s Brides of Laurent series. I love her books and was excited to have the opportunity to read this one. This one is probably one of my favorites I have read by her to date. I loved it! I adored the story between Brielle and Evan. The historical details made me feel as though I was transported back in time and seeing in real time how they lived and being part of their adventure and journey. This is probably one of my favorites I have read by her to date. I am giving A Warrior's Heart a very well deserved five plus stars. I highly recommend it for readers who enjoy reading clean historical romance. I can not wait for the release of the second installment from the Brides of Laurent series. I received a paperback copy of A Warrior's Heart from the publisher, but was not required to write a positive review. This review is one hundred percent my own honest opinion.

This book is a new series by Misty Beller and I know I’m going to love the books to come. I always love how she starts her books jumping right into the story. Every time I start her books I am hooked from the very start! I love this book is about a strong woman in charge of taking care of her people. Evan is out scouting and comes to close to their home and Brielle has to shoot him and take him captive to find out if he’s a threat to her people. This book has a sweet romance, adventure and is full of Gods love.

What a beautiful Canadian Rockies Historical Romance! This is a new series from Ms. Beller, who is an auto-buy author for me! She never disappoints to deliver a sweet, believable, historical romance, full of adventure and an inspiring message that never fails to touch my heart! Brielle Duran has promised herself that she will protect her village from outsiders and possible attackers. Ever since her mother died twelve years ago in a massacre after their peaceful French settlement was discovered, she has grown more and more determined to protect her people from any harm. So, when a mysterious stranger nears their hidden caves, she knows she must stop him, so she shoots him an arrow. After his wound is tended to, and he begins to heal, she discovers he may not have the evil intentions she concluded. But he is hiding something, how can she be sure her people are not again in danger. Can she trust a stranger? A handsome charming one, at that? Evan MacManus has been assigned by the US Army to search the Canadian Mountain for pitcheblende, an explosive mineral that can help end the war of 1812 and free them from the British. A war that has brought him more than enough loss and grief. Hoping to escape past regrets he sets for an adventure on his own, but he never expects to be attacked and imprisoned by an unknown community that lives hidden in the northern caves. He wants to prove his innocence, but can he really claim they have nothing to fear from him? If he finds what he’s looking for in the area, their village could be exposed. But duty is duty… Or is it, when the people he has come to know become friends, and the brave and courageous lady who attacked him, becomes maybe even more? Either choice he will make will cause harm to someone. Does he let his heart take the lead in the decision? Brielle has almost always lived to protect others, even risking danger, without thinking of herself. I liked how strong and selfless she was. At the same time, there was an undeniable vulnerability and an inner wish to find peace and feel instead safe and protected, as she felt when she was near this mysterious stranger Evan. And Evan was a swoon-worthy hero! I loved his quiet strength, his kind heart and integrity. They both battle fears and mistrust at the same time they start revealing truths about them, their pasts, and develop a friendship that quickly gives way to mutual attraction and deepens into something more. But this fragile bond can only survive if they trust each other. This is a beautiful story about second chances, the strength of family and community ties, about truth, integrity, love and forgiveness. There’s a beautiful faith inspired message about trust in God and forgiveness that is transmitted through the characters struggles in a very natural and appealing way. An Epic story, full of adventure, danger, sweet romance, a bit of mystery, and lots of family and community bonds. I loved how the people of Laurent watched each other’s backs. They were some secondary characters I would love to know more about. All in all, a memorable and touching story I highly recommend! The writing style flows freely and the natural descriptions made me almost feel there in or out of the caves! Can’t wait for the second book in the series to come out! I received a complimentary copy of this book from the Publisher via NetGalley but wasn’t required to post a positive review. This is my honest and unbiased opinion.

What I think you you should know: A Warrior’s Heart is the first book in Misty M Beller’s Brides of Laurent series. It is a historical fiction series set deep in the Canadian Rockies in 1814. It features a secluded settlement that seeks to stay hidden from society and has secluded itself for over a century. What I think about this book: What a beautiful start to what looks to be an amazing series. If you have had the pleasure of reading Beller you know that her books are captivating and this is no exception. Beller transports the reader to a hidden society that deeply values their safety and privacy. Brielle has fought to prove her worth as a warrior and protector of her society. Evan is on a secret mission from President Madison to find a mineral that could turn the tides of the war. I love the way that story starts off with action, but slowly unfolds to reveal the society that has been hidden in the caves. I loved the story and the people of Laurent, Beller has created a fascinating society that leaves so many opportunities for future stories. Brielle and Evan were wonderful characters and I enjoyed watching them slowly learn to trust each other and see the strength in the other person. I cannot wait to read the next book in the series. I received a complimentary copy of this book from Celebrate Lit, this in no way influenced my review. All opinions are my own.

I couldn't put this unique story down. Set in the middle of no where Canada in a mountain cave dwelling a little after the Revolutionary War, you have never read anything like this. A man stumbles into the community of untrusting cave dwellers and is held prisoner. Even though the war ended fifteen years prior the people have no clue America even exists. Brielle is a tough warrior girl with a kind heart who grows on you almost as much as her prisoner. The story is believable, flows so well, has lots of action that keeps it moving. I loved this well written novel so much and will recommend it to anyone looking for a good wilderness historical novel. I'm super curious about communities like this that may have existed.

A Warrior’s Heart is the first book in Author Misty M. Beller’s Brides of Laurent series. It takes us into the Canadian mountains, where the hidden community of Laurent dwells in peace and solitude. They live in caves and know nothing of the outside world. Their only other outsiders are the occasional Indian that they trade with. The people of Laurent have a strong faith in God, but they are afraid of outsiders, as their last visitation resulted in a massacre of their people. However, when a foreigner stumbles upon their territory, Laurent’s quiet life might change forever. Brielle Durand has lived within the caved walls of Laurent her entire life. She is the main hunter and protector for the tribe. So everything changes when she shoots Evan MacManus and takes him prisoner. Evan is a scout/spy for the government seeking a mineral found in the mountains that will help to end the war of 1812. Evan finds this mineral within the caves where he is held prisoner but he finds so much more! He can’t help but be drawn to this people and especially Brielle. He longs to be helpful and honest with the people, but he is duty bound to his commission to the government. If they would just let him leave then he could go back with the information and then resign. Then he would be free to return and pursue his love interest….. There is excitement and hidden surprises and so much more in this most interesting book. Of course anything that Beller writes is always a book that will leave you waiting for the next book to be published. I love anything she writes….. I received a copy of this book from the author and publisher. The thoughts and opinions stated above are entirely my own.