Adventure Cables

Brave New Stitch Crossings and 19 Knitting Patterns

Pub Date 01 Sep 2021 | Archive Date 10 Sep 2021
Rowman & Littlefield, Stackpole Books

Talking about this book? Use #AdventureCables #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

EDITION Paperback

Send To Kindle (PDF)

Fantastic cable knit book! I really loved the pictures throughout, and the step by step tutorials. Most of the patterns are pretty cute and modern. The book may be a bit confusing for a novice, but is a great option for anyone with experience knitting, who desires to try some new and beautiful patterns. This is partly because knitting charts and patterns can be rather confusing to read and learn from as a beginner, and I have found that videos are easier to learn from then books, but this book certainly contains more step by step visuals than most I have read.

Adventure Cables - Brave New Stitch Crossings and 19 Knitting Patterns by Meghan Jones is clearly a work of love by a very creative designer and expert knitter. Let me say right off that this is not a book for a novice knitter or the faint of heart but it is a book for knitters who love cables and complex patterns, and are looking to expand to that next level. I like how the author explains her cable charts which differ from standard knitting charts. The difference is due to the fact that most cable patterns are just stockinette stitches that are crossed. This book’s patterns have cables with unique and complex stitches on the cable itself, thus the cable pattern is shown on a key adjacent to the chart. The garments are lovely and ones that anyone would be proud to make and wear. My favorites are the Tekoa Mittens, the Karamin Hat, and the Point Defiance Pullover. I can’t wait to see these garments in the “wild” in a variety of colors and yarns. (I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy and all opinions are my own.)

Date reviewed/posted: April 29, 2021 Publication date: September 1, 2021 When life for the entire galaxy and planet has turned on its end, you are continuing to #maskup and #lockdown to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #thirdwave ( #fourthwave #fifthwave?) is upon us, superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. I requested and received a temporary digital Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley, the publisher and the author in exchange for an honest review. From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do 😸. In this exploration of cable knitting, Meghan Jones goes way beyond your traditional cables. Instead of stopping the overall patterning of the garment when she reaches the cables, she continues the stitch pattern through the cables, working lace, textures, colorwork, and even cables over top of other cables. It is truly an innovative approach to cables and one that will have you drooling with the possibilities. Meghan Jones has a BFA in Fibers and Textiles with graduating work on a Compu-Dobby loom and Japanese wax resist natural dyes, and past experience in painting, drawing, photography, and handcrafts. She lives and knits with her husband and their 4 children in the Inland Northwest where she tries to balance her love of knit design with nurturing a massive vegetable garden, cooking exciting meals, and parenting as intentionally as possible. Meghan has been designing knitting patterns for over a decade. She has worked extensively with magazines and yarn companies, and this is her first published book. In a twist of irony, she absolutely hated the only summer camp she was ever sent to and begged her parents never to send her back! This is not actually a secret to anyone who knows her, as organized activities are her nemesis and she would rather blaze a trail than follow a path. You can find more of her work at www.littlenutmegproductions.com and on Instagram @meghanjoneslnmp. I once had to learn to "cable" for work .. seriously.....that's what you get for working PT in a yarn/knitting store to help pay off your student loans I saw that I had had this book when I was learning how to cable as it would have saved me a lot of hair and yarn pulling out. The instructions are clear and concise and understandable by knitters of most levels...although I would not put cable on the plate for newbie knitters as it can be very frustrating. I actually put away my sewing projects last night to pick up my needles and take up knitting again but time will tell if those cats allow me to do so. This book will be highly recommended to the knitters I know as there are some great patterns in here to try out - especially if you have a dog who has no interest in yarn. This book, along with some needles and yarn or wool would make a great holiday gift for the crafter in your life! As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🧶🧶🧶🧶🧶

Adventure Cables is more than a collection of instructions and patterns. This is a guide to creating fiber art, for there are no other words to describe Meghan Jones’ creations. “I think my favorite thing about knitting is that there really isn’t any one totally right way to do it” is the first sentence in Adventure Cables. Jones has invented a technique where cabling is done by twisting already established stitch patterns across the row, with or without cable needles. Experienced knitters may be challenged but Jones has anticipated that. The charts are detailed with easy to understand explanations. Each pattern also includes step-by-step tutorials. The beautifully photographed sweater, shawl, socks, hat and mittens patterns are organized by skill level, beginning with the easiest. Adventure Cables, full of creative projects, is inspiring and will take your knitting skills to another level. 5 stars. Thank you to NetGalley, Rowman & Littlefield and Meghan Jones for this ARC

A beautiful and inspiring book! I appreciated the author's encouragement to explore, experiment. She starts with the premise that cable stitches are basically just stitches know out of order and invites the reader to imagine ways to rearrange them to come up with a new order and see what happens. She asks up to pose variations on the question - what if? What would it look like if I...? How would it look to....? She presents patterns in 3 skill levels - Explore (simple knit and purl patterns), Adventure (adds increases, decreases, and slip stitches), and Be Brave (crossed stitches and stranded color). She provides detailed instructions with clear photos that address reading charts, short rows, and other techniques. The book includes a variety of patterns - socks, hats, and mittens, shawls and wraps, pullovers, cardigans, and vests. Highly recommend for any knitter wanting to take their knitting to the next level. # NetGalley.

Mind-blowing is a good description of this book. Wow, holy cable moly! Amazingly detailed and advanced book. I gave up on knitting sweaters a while back because I lack the patience and fortitude required and the sweater patterns in here would require a lot of each of those things. I will definitely try out some of the smaller items, though. There are some lovely sock, mitten, hat, and cowl patterns in here I can see in my future.

Adventure Cables takes traditional knitted cables and Jones’ unique twist to create unique fabric and designs. This book builds on five core types of crossed stitches and offers both accessories and garments that showcase the updated technique. It is a book that expects some experience in knitting, but I think beginners would be delighted to see what possibilities exist after proficiency in basic core skills. If you are an experienced knitter looking for novel ways to work cables, I believe that this book will delight you. Don’t worry if you have forgotten how to successfully knit from a chart, the first section of the book is dedicated to tips and tutorials to help you work them successfully. After basic charts are covered, Jones delves into what makes Adventure Cable charts unique and what is needed to successfully read and work these special stitches. The range of pattern types helps this be a book that will appeal to a range of knitters – if you like to work accessories in the round, there are designs for you. Prefer to work flat? It has you covered. Primarily a sweater knitter? There are patterns for you as well, designed to adapt to a range of body sizes and gauges. Which designs caught my eye? The Palouse Falls Shawl features textured lace Adventure Cables that move over a lacy background. I love that it begins with a cast on of only 4 stitches! The Goose Prairie Vest uses simple A-line shaping to highlight the orate cabled cable design and looks stunning in a subtle tonal semi-solid yarn. I love the balance of this design and really want to start knitting it right now. The Tekoa Mittens check all the boxes, mirrored design, fun geometric design, and is stunning in fun color combinations. Adventure Cables by Meghan Jones can help you experience knit cables in exciting new ways.

I was able to preview "Adventure Cables-Brave New Stitch Crossings and 19 Knitting Patterns" by Meghan Jones on NetGalley. As a knitter I am always happy to see new knitting books come out. I love the look of cables so I was instantly intrigued. The instructions are so clear & concise with pictures to help. I think this would make a great addition to any knitter's library.