50 Hikes with Kids New England

Pub Date 31 Aug 2021 | Archive Date 30 Nov 2021

Talking about this book? Use #50HikeswithKidsNewEngland #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Inspire a love of nature with the best local hikes for little legs!

Handcrafted for caregivers that want to spark a love of nature, 50 Hikes with Kids: New England highlights the most kid-friendly hikes in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont. These hikes are perfect for little legs—they are all under five miles and have an elevation gain of 900 feet of less. Every entry includes the essential details: easy-to-read, trustworthy directions; a detailed map; hike length and elevation gain; bathroom access; and where to grab a bite to eat nearby. Full-color photographs and scavenger hunts highlight the fun things to see along the trail.
Inspire a love of nature with the best local hikes for little legs!

Handcrafted for caregivers that want to spark a love of nature, 50 Hikes with Kids: New England highlights the most kid-friendly...

This guide does an excellent job of presenting information on a selection of hikes in the New England area. It includes a lot of information for parents to make these hikes even more fun for kids, with suggested activities and descriptions of wildlife. Since it covers all of New England, 50 hikes are almost not enough, so I hope the author is working on a companion volume or supplement. This would make an excellent gift for any family new to the New England area or new to hiking.

I received an advance copy of, 50 Hikes with Kids New England, by Wendy Gorton. This is a great guide book on, hikes in New England for families. It tells you how long the hike is, if its easy, hard, or intermediate, and lots lots, more.

Love this book!! 50 Hikes with kids New England is very detailed and separated by state which makes it very easy to follow. Great bucket list for activities to do with the kids. Definitely going to purchase the print book. You have a winner here!!

Incredibly well written guide to hiking with kids in New England. Ideas for each state are given as well as guides for what to bring hiking. Highly recommend,

Do you like hiking? Do you have kids? Do you live in New England or have plans to visit? 50 Hikes with Kids New England is definitely worth checking out. Wendy Gorton has put together a fabulous resource. First, this book is organized. Split between adventures in Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine, you can easily find the state you are looking for. There is a chart of each section (swoon) listing the adventure, the nearest city, the length of the hike in miles, the difficulty and elevation, and highlights of that particular hike. If you are hiking with kids, this is all pertinent information. It’s no fun to start out on hike you thought was a couple of miles only to realize you are now eight miles away from you vehicle and no, you are not almost back. I also love that she refers to the hikes as adventures. Would you rather search for adventures based on features? She has that covered. There are lists of hikes with lakes, waterfalls, history, flora and fauna, geology, caves, summits and views, river and streams, beaches, and campgrounds. Or perhaps you want a little seasonal flair? Gorton also has lists popular trails for each season. Then, for each adventure, Gorton goes through everything you need to know for that trail. Throw in her helpful tips for newer hikers (or hikers new to hiking with kids), scavenger hunts specific to each adventure, and where to get awesome snacks, and this book is a must have for anyone with kids. The book has full color photos of the areas, as well as a basic visual appeal to the layout. The only bad thing I have to say about the book is that it only crams 50 adventures in it. I understand that any more would be too thick, but I wish I had this information for every hike we went on. She has other versions of this book for different areas around the US, and we will definitely be checking some of them out.

A great resource for families who want to start hiking with their children, but really don't know where to start - what is kid-friendly, accessible, etc. The book starts with the basics of planning a hike and then highlights the best hikes in the New England states. Each hike that is featured includes, photos, notable sites/features, flora and fauna to watch for, a difficulty rating, a fantastic description, and a map. This book is really a fabulous resource! Thanks, #Netgalley, for the ARC! #50HikeswithKidsNewEngland #NetGalley

This book was wonderful! I don't have kids, but I do hike a lot. I get winded very easily so I thought this book would be useful for me- if a kid can do the hike, I should be able to as well! I've been working on planning a trip through the New England states and this book gave me a lot of great ideas for hiking. I loved that it included what you could find along each trail as well as the difficulty level.. There was even a section that broke the trails down by features along the trail and what season is best for hiking that trail. Each hike's section also included useful information like if there was a fee to hike the trail or if there were restrooms nearby. I can't wait to use this book for my trip!

This was so well done! I was able to enjoy it as a read as well as recommending it to several friends who have kids younger than mine. It is a great guide for the whole family to enjoy!

Thank you, Netgalley and the publisher, for the opportunity to read an arc version of this book! This book is lovely! While it is directed towards families, I think beginner hikers would also find this to be an accessible and fun guide. I loved that this was broken down by state, and there was information on things like when to go, restroom access, and things to do afterwards/in the area. The formatting is also very attractive, with images and icons scattered throughout, and easy to flip through. This book is a great reference text, and a place to encourage students to look through for ideas for their next safe adventure.

50 Hikes with Kids New England is an expansive guide to hiking and outdoor adventures that are easily taken with kids in New England. The book starts right off the top with a list of all the hikes broken down by state and includes the location and difficulty along with the sights you’ll see on the hike! This seemed like a great way to start the book! Parents don’t have to thumb through looking for the info for each hike! It’s right there are the front of the book, for your convenience. This is a theme that sticks around as the book then breaks the hikes down by the sights you’ll see! Want to see lakes, here's a list of the hikes that have lakes. Honestly, 50 Hikes is full of great information and great guides to each of the hikes they feature! I’ll definitely be purchasing this one for my friends with kids!

Thank you to Timber Press and NetGalley for a digital ARC of this book in exchange for my honest opinion. This is the perfect book for parents who want to bring their kids on hikes, but don't want to have the worry of planning for bathrooms, food, and entertainment. This is a comprehensive guide for hikes under 5 miles with some elevation gain. Wendy Gorton organizes the hikes by state, as well as by feature (waterfalls, caves, history, geology, etc). I was pleasantly surprised to see hikes in CT, NH and RI that I've done with my children, but will do again now that there is a guide for fun features!

This is a wonderful resource. the book is separated into sections by state, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and. Connecticut. Each family hike has the name, length, amenities, and difficulty. Beyond that, the book calls out lakes, waterfalls, historical sites, vies and other sites. This book also presents you with tips for what to bring and consider on your trip and really helps make going on a hike with little kids manageable and achievable.

This is a great book! I am a big hiker who is currently pregnant and I love the idea of a book like this that can help me find great hikes as my baby grows. I enjoyed the format of this book too. I have done some of the hikes already so I was able to compare the book with my experiences and I think this book will be well loved by any family!