Dead Kennedys

Pub Date 08 Jun 2021 | Archive Date 15 Nov 2021

Read the book that NetGalley readers are finding so controversial.

Heartbreaking, savagely funny, Dead Kennedys is a book of dissent. It's the modern-day story of John Kennedy, 17-year-old member of the famous Kennedy family, who after a shattering tragedy goes on a reckless binge through Washington DC he may not survive.

In his third novel, Scott Reardon presents a wise-cracking antihero—unfiltered, beaten by life and unwilling to bow to modern pieties.

"Confronting...compelling...the child forgotten in the divorce of Brett Easton Ellis and J.D. Salinger.”—Tobias Carlisle

Read the book that NetGalley readers are finding so controversial.

Marketing Plan

Author interviews in print, online and on radio.

Author interviews in print, online and on radio.

Links

From the first words of this book I was drawn in-- the voice is that strong. It reminds me of my first time reading The Catcher in the Rye, when I was much, much younger. "Can he really say that?" I kept asking, and yet the voice was so compelling that I believed everything John said. There's a conceit here that made me a bit uncomfortable-- that "John Kennedy" and his brother Joe are somehow offspring of the famous Kennedy clan. I don't think the book needs that hook, because the characters are so strong and the voice so compelling that I would have read it without that overlay. Of coursed that would mean a different title... I can't rave enough about this book, which I think captures the zeitgeist in the same way that Catcher did, with many of the same conceits (alienated prep school boy on a wild weekend).