Role Model

A Gay Sports Romance

Pub Date 10 Aug 2021 | Archive Date 09 Sep 2021

Talking about this book? Use #RoleModel #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

"Rachel Reid crafted a story of true heart, beauty, heat, and glorious, hard-won redemption! I loved both heroes and their journey to love was a gorgeous one to watch!" - Lauren Blakely, #1 NYT Bestselling author of Scoring With Him

The highly anticipated fifth novel in Rachel Reid’s Game Changers series sees a grumpy professional hockey player meet his match in an out-and-proud social media manager…

The hits just keep coming for Troy Barrett. Traded to the worst team in the league would be bad enough, but coming on the heels of a messy breakup and a recent scandal… Troy just wants to play hockey and be left alone. He doesn’t want to be in the news anymore, and he definitely doesn’t want to “work on his online presence” with the team’s peppy social media manager.

Harris Drover can tell standoffish Troy isn’t happy about the trade—anyone could tell, frankly, as he doesn’t exactly hide it well—but Harris doesn’t give up on people easily. Even when he’s developing a crush he’s sure is one-sided. And when he sees Troy’s smile finally crack through his grumpy exterior, well… That’s a man Harris couldn’t turn his back on if he wanted to.

Suddenly, Troy’s move to the new team feels like an opportunity—for Troy to embrace his true self, and for both men to surrender to their growing attraction. But indulging in each other behind closed doors is one thing, and for Troy, being in a public relationship with Harris will mean facing off with his fears, once and for all.

Game Changers

Book 1: Game Changer
Book 2: Heated Rivalry
Book 3: Tough Guy
Book 4: Common Goal
Book 5: Role Model

A Note From the Publisher

Content Warning: Role Model contains mentions of sexual assault and rape culture. There are no graphic descriptions or on-page depictions of assault, but the story does include depictions of victims not being believed.

EDITION Ebook
PRICE CA$7.99 (CAD)

I LOVE this series!! MM hockey romances have quickly become some of my favourite books to read. I end up re-reading them over ad over again they're so good! And this series is definitely ones of the best ones I've come to read. So when I found out that there's a new book coming out?? I screamed on the bus, no big deal. I loved this story! It's the ultimate bully turns good and finds love kind of romance and I'm here for all of it. It reminded me of K. Webster books (I love her books so much) and the fact that Troy was able to understand how he was wrong and fixes his attitude throughout the story was an amazing thing to read. And Harris is just the biggest ray of sunshine on a grumpy Troy which makes this whole thing way more fun. Everyone has got to read this series!! I think the next book is Ilya and Shane's book again and I am beyond ecstatic for it!!! Thank you to NetGalley and Carina Press for the earc in return for an honest review,

I absolutely adored this book. I have loved each book in this series, and Reid has done it again. Troy Barrett is going through it. After publicly confronting his former friend, being dumped, and then being traded to the worst team in the NHL, he’s having a rough time. Enter Harris Drover: social media manager for the Ottawa Centaurs and pure ray of sunshine. Harris is a people-person and tries to help Troy boost his image online. Working closely, though, the two start to develop feelings for each other. Will Troy be brave enough to come out and live his life how he wants to? I truly loved this book. The ensemble cast was outstanding and it made me so happy that we have appearances from every single main character from Reid’s earlier books, some more than others. Ilya stole the show and I loved the snippets with him. Also, Chiron. I love that there was a team dog. I honestly loved every part of this book and I absolutely could not put it down. It does deal with some heavy subjects, with some aspects dealing with sexual assault (not on page), the book still manages to be sweet and funny. So funny that I actually found myself laughing out loud at moments. Highly recommend.

Bottom line: A beautiful, gripping story of redemption and self-discovery. The stand-alone fifth novel in Rachel Reid’s Game Changers series is a real treat. With themes of hurt/comfort and coming out, "Role Model" is a stunning read that is filled with emotional discoveries, bravery, and an opposites-attract couple who fit so perfectly. This book is super trope-y, which honestly is a huge win, especially because the narrative is so well crafted and the characters' voices are unique and evolve so naturally. Troy Barrett and Harris Drover's love story and swoon-worthy romance ticks so many happy-sigh boxes. The heat is sizzling, the internalised angst emotive, and the journey the two take is beautifully balanced, sweet, and exciting. A definite must-read.