I Am Smoke

Pub Date 07 Sep 2021 | Archive Date 02 Aug 2021
Publisher Spotlight, Tilbury House Publishers

Talking about this book? Use #IAmSmoke #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Smoke itself acts as narrator, telling us how it has served humankind since prehistoric times in signaling, beekeeping, curing and flavoring food, religious rites, fumigating insects, and myriad other ways.

EDITION Hardcover

Send To Kindle (PDF)

I loved the blend of science and history in this picture book that could engage students at both the elementary and secondary levels. This is a brilliant book that weaves one theme, smoke, throughout time and shows how one aspect of life can have multiple impacts on history.

Henry Herz’s I Am Smoke is a lyrical look at the science and history of smoke, told in a puzzle of a story for young children to discuss with their adult. The illustrations are soft and add subtle flare to the story. It was interesting to learn that the illustrator, Merce Lopez Ascanoio, actually used smoke in her creative artwork. Paper was held above a candle to catch smoke and then further created with the use of watercolors and some photoshop enhancements. Overall, this a good book to check out for younger children.