The Killer in the Snow

Pub Date 28 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 30 Oct 2021

Talking about this book? Use #SolveTheColdCase #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The first fall of snow can be fatal…

James knows that to catch this killer, he needs to solve a case that has long since gone cold…

Perfect for fans of smash-hit TV series Whitehouse Farm, Simon McCleave’s The Snowdonia Killings and Catherine Cooper’s The Chalet.

The first fall of snow can be fatal…

But across the fells, a...

EDITION Ebook
PRICE A$11.99 (AUD)

In the second of the DI James Walker series, it’s a year after the police officer cracked his biggest case, so with a baby on the way, he’s hoping this Christmas will be merry and bright, and murder free. But he wished too soon for a festive miracle. On Christmas Eve, a farmer discovers footsteps leading to his family’s unused basement… but no steps receding. A few days later, his body, plus that of his wife and twenty-something daughter, are found. There’s precious little evidence to help James and his team and worryingly, the crime scene echoed another similar atrocity committed in the same location two decades previously. With reminisces of Whitehouse Farm, it’s a race against time for the police to solve the case and find out who’s responsible. It’s a clever read; layered and the flashbacks really add to the tension of the two cases, as they gradually draw together.

A great sequel. I was quite happy with Alex Pine's previous novel and was expecting something similar this time. I was pleasantly surprised that this was better. It was easier to suspend disbelief and the denouement was more satisfying. Overall, an enjoyable second novel.

I really enjoyed this book and it gave me a well needed lift to my day. The insight and humour spoke volumes about the experiences and challenges that we were guided through as the audience. I am very glad I read this book and would highly recommend..

An intriguing murder mystery. Full of action and sleuthing, it was entertains from start to finish. So many plot twists had me guessing the ending in so many ways. I was wrong of course. The storylines of past and present blended together in the last few chapters and ended in a bang. Can’t wait for more from Alex Pine. Thank you NetGalley for this arc

DI James Walker returns as a killer is loose again in his sleepy village at Christmas time. A farmer, his wife and grown up daughter are discovered dead in a suspected murder/suicide. However, the more Walker and his team investigate into this family, the more interesting the case becomes. For starters, a similar fate met the previous owners over 20 years earlier. There are unaccounted footprints and a mystery peephole with fresh crumbs nearby. All is not what it seems. I enjoyed this latest instalment, so many twists and subplots really kept the suspense going. Walker is such a likeable character too. Well done Alex Pine, 5 stars!

I really enjoyed this murder mystery, this book follows on from The Christmas Killer and i must say i found this book really engrossing, it is one of the many books i would class as my favourites from this year. It has the classic who did it feeling and will constantly keep you guessing, the characters are portrayed very well which i did enjoy. Many twists and turns, very riveting and tense which is perfect for this category. It had me gripped from the very start and i would recommend to fellow book readers. Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.

No Hope For Festive Season… The second outing for DI James Walker and his hope for the impending festive season to be a quiet and peaceful one are about to be dashed. A crime scene in a local farmhouse is to give him cause for consternation. No witnesses, sparse evidence and echoes of a cold case. A compelling and entertaining read and a worthy follow up to the first in the series, although can happily be read as a standalone.

Thanks Netgalley for allowing me to read this book. James who is a detective returns to work after the Christmas holiday. He visits a murder scene that is very gruesome. Their was a similar murder there twenty years ago. This book kept me interested from the first page.

It snows quite a bit in the Lake District and Detective Inspector James Walker is discovering that if it coincides with a big case it's not at all helpful! After a serial killer stalked the streets of his small Cumbrian village the previous Christmas, James is delighted to spend a quiet, relaxed holiday at home this year with wife Annie and no interruptions. In fact the lack of reported criminal activity lasts until he is back at work and then suddenly everything changes. Oaktree Farm is remote, run down, and for sale, but it isn’t empty. Death has called over the festive season and it isn't its first visit. When he finds out the farm's terrible history James can't understand why anyone would still want to live there. As his case gathers pace, and various suspects come to light, discoveries are made which begin to link the present crime to one which happened over two decades earlier. This is the second DI James Walker book and once again it is twisty and complex from the very start. Although I worked out a main thread of the story quite early it was still a very enjoyable read and the various other twists and turns kept me guessing until the very end. There was a continuation of a storyline from book one but it was clearly explained and so both can be read as standalones. As with the first novel this is a high quality Christmas murder mystery which will definitely make you double check your doors are locked and bolted! I was able to read an advanced copy of this book thanks to NetGalley and the publishers but the opinions expressed are my own. This is an entertaining, realistic police procedural which I enjoyed very much.

I was kindly sent a copy of the next book in the DI James Walker series by @avonbooksuk to read and reveal the cover. This book follows on from The Christmas Killer. In this book, three dead bodies are discovered and with multiple possible suspects, DI Walker and his team race to find out the truth. I loved reading this book! If you want a book that keeps you hooked right through to the end and keeps you guessing then this is a book for you! I haven't read a thriller for a while and I loved everything about it. The characters, the detailed descriptions and the setting of the story.

Wow. The Killer in the Snow is by far the best book I've read this year. I really enjoyed The Christmas Killer, the first in the DI James Walker series, but this is even better. So many twists and turns and shocking revelations. Had me gripped from the start. I really hope the series continues.

This book was sent to me on Kindle by Netgalley for review. Murder and mystery...mayhem...intrigue...haunted house...or is it really? Bloody footprints...past murders...missing child...this book has all the makings of intrigue and mystery...determine the outcome is not easy...that being said, there are so many characters that it is difficult to keep up. A good read...

This is why I love Avon Books UK. They have some amazing authors. Thank you NetGalley and Avon Books UK for this advanced ebook copy! The Killer in the Snow by Pine is one of the best reads I've read in months. When I seen this and read the description I had to try and get it. I have not read the first book to this series The Christmas Killer but its most definitely on my list now. I thought this book was brilliantly done. With amazing writing and characters that felt real. There was never a dull moment in this dark and atmospheric story and I was riveted from start to finish. The characters were solidly drawn, lending credibility to the festive mystery/ thriller. I look forward to seeing more of DI Walker in future instalments. It was very hard to put this book down and I highly recommend it if you like a thriller or a whodunnit! Thank you again for the opportunity to read this outstanding novel!

Devoured this one in one sitting. In the second of the DI James Walker series, it’s a year after the police officer cracked his biggest case, so with a baby on the way, he’s hoping this Christmas will be merry and bright, and murder free. Hmmm not gonna happen. It was a fast paced book from beginning to end and very intense. The author has a very clever mind. This is the fourth book I have read by this author and will now search out other books!

A year has passed since DI James Walker cracked his biggest case yet, and he’s hoping for peace and quiet this festive season. But across the fells, a local farmer returns home on Christmas Eve to find footsteps in the fresh snow that lead down to his unused basement – and no footsteps leading away. Days later, his body is found, alongside those of his wife and daughter. Without a neighbour for miles, there are no witnesses and little evidence. And the crime scene has strange echoes of another terrible murder committed at the farmhouse, twenty years earlier. This is the second in the DI Walker series and an outstanding sequel. Interesting characters and location, a gripping and dark mystery, this book was such a great read. I am really looking forward to the third book in this series. Thank you NetGalley for the advanced readers copy for review.

This is a Christmas Mystery, and this is the second book in the DI James Walker Series. I did read and review the first book in this series before picking up this book. I did not feel you have to read the first book in this series before reading this one, but there is a lot of things said about the first books case in this book. I have to say I liked this book a lot more then the first book not that I did not enjoyed reading the first book. I found the case that DI James is working on in this book more interesting. I was really pulled into the case, and I found myself wanting to how what happen to the family that was killed. I did find the flash backs in this book to be a little weird at first, and I think they could have been written in a little bit better. The characters in this book are the type of characters that grow on you. I found that I also really did not care about the side storyline that was going on in this book because I guessed what was going on the minute it came up in the story. I am glad it came to a end because I was getting sick of it coming up, and it runs in the first book and this book. I was kindly provided an e-copy of this book by the publisher (Avon) or author (Alex Pine) via NetGalley, so I can give an honest review about how I feel about this book. I want to send a big Thank you to them for that.

I really enjoyed Alex Pine’s first book in this series The Christmas Killer and was excited to have the opportunity to read the Is as an ARC. The Killer in the Snow is set 12.months after the events of the first book in the sleepy Cumbrian village Kirkby Abbey. DI James walker and his team find themselves faced with another multiple murder to solve. A good romping yarn that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Thank you to NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read this book. This is the second instalment in the James Walker series. James Walker is a detective, and lives with his wife, Annie, in Kirkby Abbey after moving from The Met in London when his life was threatened from a previous case he had worked on. The first book focused on their arrivals to Cumbria and a serial killer that was on the loose. In this book, Walker is sent to investigate the deaths of a husband, wife, and daughter on their farm over Christmas. We go through the highs and lows with the team to catch the perpetrators. And to top it off, the threat from London on Walker’s life has caught up with him in Cumbria. Although this is only the second one it is definitely shaping up to be a series I will look forward to and enjoy. The characters are all down to earth and relatable. The stories and emotions all feel authentic. The author uses lots of descriptives to really set the scene to give the book a real feel. It’s extremely well written, and every chapter offers a new element to the story, and I genuinely didn’t guess until the final few chapters. Another excellent read from this author.

What a twisty-turvy mystery “The Killer in the Snow” turned out to be. A Scottish murder neeeds to be solved and who better than Detective James to do the solving. As typical this Scottish detective has moved to this small town after he and his wife were threatened by a criminal, our detective had put in jail. Who exactly was the killer? Many possible suspects were interrogated along this novel’s storyline. Woven into the story seamlessly, these characters had me guessing whodunit with various clues. Would make a good Netflix series!

A solid follow-on from the first DI James Walker book. This was a fabulous blend between a new murder mystery to be solved and his personal life with wife and his enemy from the previous book. Both stories develop very well throughout the book. I enjoyed the diversity of characters, the explanations and tension building. It kept me guessing without requiring too much brain power. One of the main benefits was small recaps, disguised as police briefings, but gave time as a reader to remind you of the evidence so far and form theories of your own. This is a comfort series for me. I’ll keep reading as long as they keep being released!

My thanks to Alex and Netgalley for allowing me to read The Killer in the Snow in advance of the publication date. Last Christmas, DI James Walker and his team had to investigate a serial killer in the quiet Cumbrian village of Kirkby Abbey. This year, James is enjoying a quiet Christmas with his wife, Annie, as they make plans for the birth of their first child. On his first day back at work, there is a report that 3 bodies have been found at Oaktree Farm outside Kirkby Abbey. They are identified as the owner, Robert Bateman, his wife, Mary and daughter Charlotte. As the investigation gets underway, DI Walker discovers that there was friction within the family and there are a number of people who were unhappy with Robert Bateman. 24 years earlier, the then owners of Oaktree Farm, Simon and Amanda Roth were found dead and their 6 week old daughter, Megan, was missing. This raises the question of whether there is a link between the 2 events and is Walker investigating 2 crimes. Walker also receives a report from his former colleagues in the Met that his nemesis, gang land boss Andrew Sullivan, is wanted for murder and has Walker in his sights. Pine manages to weave a gruesome tale of murder with the beautiful settings of Cumbria, exposing the secrets of the residents.

The Killer in the Snow by Alex Pine DI James Walker and his pregnant wife are enjoying their second Christmas in Cumbria. They have had a quiet Christmas in comparison to the year before where James was newly in the job and dealing with a highly unusual for the area , a series of murders in a quiet village. No sooner than being back in the office , and a call comes in from a solicitor who was called to a farm by a farmer who is selling up at the point of bankruptcy. She finds him , his wife and daughter dead. DI James soon on the scene , finds out the farm was also the spot the previous farmer killed his wife 20 years previously. What follows is the mystery , suspense and brilliant twists to make this a great read. Whilst it is the second of a series of Di James Walker and not one I had read previously , it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the story and I look forward to the 3rd one.

A page turning delight! I couldnt put this down and when I thought I had it figured out I was wrong. A very enjoyable read

This is the first book I have read by this author & I enjoyed it. Lots of twists & turns to keep me guessing & racing to the end to see how it all finished up.

I had loved the 1st book from this author, so had to read this one. I was certainly not disappointed. The book was very fast paced and exciting. Twists and turns throughout. Fantastic plot to keep you on the edge of your chair, desperate for more. Was great to head back to Kirkby Abbey and catch up with those we had heard about in the last book. If you haven’t read either of these books you must. You don’t know what your missing. The book once again was very well written. Flowed well. Nice cover on the book also. Can’t wait to find out if there is another book to come

Thanks to NetGalley and Avon Books UK for this tantalizing mystery in return for an honest review. The complicated, but easy-to-follow plot flows well. It will keep readers engaged while they try to untangle the mystery. This is a police procedural that describes how painstaking and detailed their work must be in order to solve the case. There are no graphic sex scenes or vulgar language. Violence was described through flashbacks to the past, or by discovering already murdered victims. I enjoyed the fact that the lead detective, DI James Walker, seems so well adjusted with a pleasant, comfortable home life, unlike many lead detectives in fiction who have emotional issues in their personal lives that they soothe with alcohol. He also has a cooperative team working together without dissension, and delegates tasks wisely. He is calm, persistent, and patient in his skilled interrogation of suspects. I learned that this is the second book in the DI Walker series, both cases occurring in a quiet village during the Christmas season. This works as a standalone but refers to previous events which raised my interest in reading the first book. A family of three, an adult daughter and her parents, are found in a bloody scene at an isolated farmhouse. Forensic evidence suggests they were murdered on Christmas eve. DI Walker was hoping to spend the holiday season relaxing at home, but like a year ago this is not to be. To add to the mystery, the team finds a walled-in hidden room containing a peephole, giving an eerie suggestion that the family was being watched. There is shocking proof that an unknown person was secretly observing the murdered family. The farm was deeply in unpaid debt, partly due to the father's gambling addiction. The high-strung mother hated the home, believing it to be haunted. The daughter had anger issues and was rebellious, engaging in drugs with unsavoury friends. The detectives uncover multiple suspects, secrets and intrigue. More than two decades earlier, the previous owners of the farm were murdered in the basement and their baby daughter vanished. This murder was never solved. The investigators feel there must be a connection between this cold case and the present family murder. With so many possible perpetrators, they must find a motive linking both killings within the same house during the elapsed time period. Can they succeed? In an unrelated thread, there is a gangster that Walker helped imprison while working in London who is bound on revenge. Recommended for readers those who enjoy a suspenseful, complex, easy-to-follow mystery with engaging and dedicated investigators. I would read Alex Pine's next book in the series.

The first DI Walker book in the series was an amazing debut novel from Alex Pine and I was thrilled to be able to read the second one. However, The Killer in the Snow can easily be read as a standalone. DI Walker worked for the Met and lived in London with his wife, Annie, but when she inherits the family home in the village of Kirkby Abbey and there’s a dangerous criminal looking for her husband, they move up to the Cumbrian village. They’re only up there for a short time when a killer strikes. A year later, on Christmas Eve, a family of three are found dead, and the dangerous criminal is still looking for DI Walker. A brilliant, well-written story with lots of twists and turns that the reader won’t be expecting. Thank you to NetGalley and Avon Books UK for an advance reader copy in return for an honest review.

A brilliant book loved it, full of action this book has some nice twists that will keep you guessing. It has a great storyline and the characters really blend together.5*

Another amazing and intense book in this series, you really don't have had to read the other book in the series, but it would help. I got so engrossed in the work, private life as well as the threats to the main characters. What a beautiful setting it was so well described that I thought I was there. I just cant wait for instalment three - cant say anything more as don't want to spoil it. I was given an advance copy by netgalley and the publishers but the review is entirely my own.

This is probably one of my favourite books tk review in recent weeks. It has twists, it has turns, it keeps you guessing, it doesn't drag and doesn't go into the realm of being ridiculously unbelievable! It'll definitely keep you reading through the night and no doubt, heading off to download the rest of the authors books as soon as you finish this one

Spooky scary crime book. Absolutely fantastic. Really made me keep the light on and read into the night. Sad I finished reading it as it was so good. Am going to look at the authors other books which hopefully there are lots of!

This is the second book in the DI James Walker series and it is just as enjoyable as the first. A family is found dead at their farmhouse just after Christmas. Was it murder-suicide or something more sinister? It’s up to DI Walker and his team to discover exactly what happened. A good story with plenty of twists which was an easy and enjoyable read. I look forward to the next book in this series.

I stayed up past my bedtime to finish this last night. When three dead bodies turn up in DI James Walker’s village he needs to find out if it’s murder or a murder/suicide. It soon comes to light that the deaths resemble those of 24 years ago in the exact same farmhouse. Are they linked? To make matters worse DI Walker’s old adversary from London is released from prison and looking for revenge. It’s one I’d definitely recommend if you fancy a Christmas book but prefer crime to rom-com. It’s the second book featuring DI James Walker, the first being “The Christmas Killer” released last year. You don’t need to have read the first book to read this one and if you thought the first one was a bit predictable and you guessed the ending id still recommend checking this one out. I thought I knew what was going on but then there’s clever little twists that make you doubt yourself.

A good thriller that was fast paced with a good amount of twists and turns and unpredictability. I also loved the setting and how it made me feel warm abd cozy as snow and cabins etc al;ways do yet at the same time unsettled and uneasy.

I really enjoyed this book. It was a great storyline with excellent characters. I would highly recommend this book as it was a great read.

I found this book highly entertaining and and a very enjoyable read.It is the second book by Alex Pine and has the making of a wonderful series..A good plot line and lots of twists and turns and very likeable characters. I would definitely recommend this book.

This ARC was provided to me via Kindle by Avon Books UK, Avon and #NetGalley for my honest opinion. This sequel in an established series was as thrilling as the first one. Twists and turns keep your guessing.

First of all, thank you to Avon Books UK for giving me an advanced reader's copy of this book. Here's my review: This book is all you can ask for when looking for a good thriller. There were a lot of times I thought I really had it in the bag of whodunnit, but, man, was I always wrong after a new twist. And the twists were well-thought-out, too. Most books I've read in the past that had this many twists felt kind of forced, honestly speaking. Plus the ending totally caught me offguard. Brilliantly written! Now I have to read more of Alex Pine's work, and looking forward to it. 🧡

I greatly appreciate the publishers sending me this book in exchange for my honest review. The Killer in the snow it the follow up to the DI James Walker series. I enjoyed the plot as I found it rather easy to follow and that it flows nicely. This book can be read as a stand alone but does reference previous events from the book before. Walker is a great character and one that I find refreshing. I love police procedural book but often times the detective is saddled with mounds of their own issues making them unreliable trying to solve the case. I enjoyed the straight laced mindset of Walker!

This is the second book in this series and though I have read both it is important to know you don't need to read the first to understand and enjoy this book. DI Walker is back with another murder to solve at Christmas. This time it's a triple murder to investigate of a husband, wife and grown daughter. The farm where the murder occurs is the same place of a double murder/suicide which happened with the previous owners. Are the two incidents related? I really enjoy this series of books and hope there are more to come as I will enjoy knowing more about Walker and his wife Annie. No, this book isn't a hard hitting gruesome crime thriller, so if that's what you are wanting then this isn't for you. This however is an easy mystery read with a wonderful scenery and enjoyable characters which takes you away from our every day mundane lives.

A year has passed since DI James Walker cracked his biggest case yet, and he’s hoping for peace and quiet this festive season. But across the fells, a local farmer returns home on Christmas Eve to find footsteps in the fresh snow that lead down to his unused basement – and no footsteps leading away. Days later, his body is found, alongside those of his wife and daughter. Without a neighbour for miles, there are no witnesses and little evidence. And the crime scene has strange echoes of another terrible murder committed at the farmhouse, twenty years earlier… I enjoyed this book, having read The Christmas Killer I was familiar with the characters and am growing to like them, the book I feel was better than the first and gripped you from the first pages, I liked the way in concentrated on the actual murder and not so much on DCI Walkers Home life, I am looking forward to more in this series of books as I already enjoy JP Carter's (Alex Pine) writing style, would recommend reading this

This is the second book of the DI James Walker series, although this is the first time I am reading the series. In a farm, a father, mother and a daughter were found dead inside the barn. It happened to look like a suicide--daughter was stabbed, the mother was shot and the father shot himself. But when the detectives finds that the father, Robert Bateman is in huge debts and the Bateman seemed to be having enemies, they soon ruled this case as a murder. The story started out a bit slow but soon towards the middle, it got a bit more interesting as the secrets started revealing about the family and that there was another murder that happened on the very same farm almost twenty four years ago with a baby missing. Soon, this begins a cat and mouse chase game and then there were some twists and turns that it got fast paced until the end. Overall this thriller is a slow burn book--it wasn't bad but it was good too that will keep you engrossed in the book. Many thanks to Netgalley and Avon publishers for the ARC. The review is based on my opinion only.

I loved Alex Pine's first book - The Christmas Killer, so I was excited to return to Cumbria for another snowy crime-fest. DI James Walker and his team have another mystery to solve, whilst battling harsh winter weather. Shortly after Christmas a family are found dead in their remote farmhouse, one stabbed and two shot. Was this a family murder suicide, or is there something more for DI Walker to discover? The plot thickens when a previous incident from over 20 years ago is raised. At the same farmhouse a couple were found dead and their small baby missing. Are the crimes linked? There are plenty of credible suspects and lots of twists and turns in the investigation. I wasn't quite as gripped as the first one in the series, but still an excellent read. Thanks to Netgalley and Avon Books for the ARC.

Another good book by this author. I enjoyed the characters and the plot line was interesting. The only part I didn't like was right at the beginning giving the description of the main character and the back story. It's second in a series so there was no need for it I thought. Was a great ending!

I keep trying to love police procedurals and I keep not liking them. I did finish this book and will rate it based on the writing alone. The prose was wonderful. I can read Alex Pine all day long. Just not a fan of police side of things.

This story is gripping from the start. It gets into the mystery of the murder quite quickly. The story was easy to follow even though there was a lot happening, which was great. The story also keeps you guessing what actually happened until the ending. Overall it was a super enjoyable murder mystery book!

A entertaining, though rather grim, story. Quite predictable, really, as clues were dropped at various points in the novel. However, I suppose that is part of the satisfaction, working it out for oneself. The characters seemed a little bit wooden to me, although they were interesting, and gave the story its twists and turns. I would certainly read another book by this author. A good read for light entertainment.

I really enjoyed Alex Pine first book in this series and was really looking forward to reading the second installment. In fact i found that this second book even more enthralling that the first. I loved the characters, the thrilling storyline, everything about it really .

The Killer in the Snow is an unputdownable, suspenseful and riveting book, chock full of layered mysteries and tension. I did not realize it is part of a series. Though it stands beautifully on its own, it is so arresting that this series has been added to my list to immerse myself in. That cover, though! DI James Walker and his wife are living in rural England. And they have a secret. But so do killers. When murder enters the scene, locals are sickened in many ways. Not only were there killings in the area twenty years prior but the similarities between them and the current case are uncanny and disturbing. Walker must contend with fear, mysterious shoe prints and a creepy house, not to mention his past. I read this book in a small cabin in the woods in the dark of night, deliberately setting the scene for maximum enjoyment of this thriller. The introduction to DI Walker and his colleagues is helpful and I really like the plot building. So well done. Walker's relationship with his wife is refreshingly a loving and caring one. Suspense and thriller readers, do not miss this perfectly dark (yet not a Horror) story. To me it is the perfect balance of past and present happenings, psychological mind plays and importance of unshakeable relationships. My sincere thank you to Avon Books UK and NetGalley for introducing me to a new-to-me series and the privilege of reading this suspenseful book. Can't wait to read everything I can get my hands on by this author.

This is an excellent police procedural, set in the beautiful Lake District. It is the second in the series, but I haven’t read the first volume so can testify that it works equally well as a stand alone novel. Investigating 2 apparent murder/suicides, 24 years apart, at a remote farmhouse, with a violent criminal looking for revenge to add extra stress, DI James Walker certainly has his work cut out. Numerous suspects add variety to the tale. A thoroughly enjoyable read. I’m looking forward to next next in this series.

What a puzzle! On Christmas Eve, at Oaktree Farm, the owner, his wife and daughter are found murdered. Twenty four years earlier, at Oaktree Farm, the owner and his wife were found murdered. Their infant daughter was never found. Wondering how these cases could be related, DI James Walker and his team begin to investigate. Robert Bateman, killed on Christmas Eve, had a gambling problem and was about to lose the farm. Threats are found on his phone. His daughter Charlotte is dating a possible drug dealer. And, behind the boarded over cellar door, there’s a peephole where someone has been watching the Batemans. Someone who left bloody shoe prints from the outer cellar door. Prints that don’t match any found near the bodies. As Walker tries to unravel the mystery behind the killings, he faces another threat. Andrew Sullivan, a gang leader, is out of jail and looking for revenge. Walker and his wife are on his list. Alex Pine seamlessly weaves together two murder cases, decades apart, with a memorable group of suspects and a distracting outside threat in this well written, suspenseful police procedural. The conclusion is a total surprise. 5 stars. Thank you to NetGalley, Avon Books UK and Alex Pine for tis ARC.

A family murder on Oaktree Farm seems to be a simple case of murder suicide but DI James Walker of the Cumbria Constabulary isn't too sure especially when he learns about the sad history of the farm. Will the team be able to find out the truth about the farm and it's secrets? Things can't get any worse for DI Walker as there is a gang boss out there that wants revenge for sending him to prison. The team is working hard to piece all the clues together and the pool of suspects grows the more they learn about Robert Bateman as he was in a lot of debt and he let some of his friends down but could one of them killed the whole family? The family has secrets and when the team learn the truth about the family murder all those years ago they are shocked but it answers all the questions about the original murder and the missing baby. Will Di Walker and his wife be able to enjoy the upcoming birth of their baby without fear? A good read full of shocking revelations that kept me on the edge of my seat. I was lucky enough to receive a copy via Netgalley & the publishing house in exchange for my honest review.

I received a copy of this e-arc in exchange for an honest review thanks to NetGalley and Avon Books. This is the 2nd book in the DI James Walker series. I didn’t realise this was part of a series, it wasn’t clear on NetGalley. However, I was able to follow it without feeling like i’d missed major details from the first book. It’s a Christmas crime book - which you could argue it is a bit early for since it’s 3 months away! I did enjoy this book. It a cosy mystery with plenty of twists to keep you gripped. Now knowing it’s part of a series, I’m interested enough to want to go back and read the first book.

This is the follow up to The Christmas Killer, with DI James Walker, and his wife Annie, who have moved from London back to her home village in Cumbria, after a crime boss made threats against them. This is a really good follow up to that book; it’s a year on and just as gruesome a crime with - as the author put it - more ups and downs than a Big Dipper. The pace is brisk, as the first hours and days of a murder incident room would be. From no suspects to several, and back again. The victims too aren’t quite as they seem on face value. Added to that a very similar crime took place at the same location over 20 years before. Very well written, especially with the use of flashbacks, and I really like James, Annie and the other characters we met before, they’re developing really nicely. I did guess what the main twist would be but not who actually did it. Although this is definitely a stand alone read, I’m glad I read the The Christmas Killer. I look forward to more in this series. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book.

The Killer in the snow by Alex Pine is the second in the D I James Walker series. It is a year since the Christmas killer case and James is thrown into another case during Christmas time. On Christmas eve a farmer comes home to see footsteps in the snow lead to his unused cellar. Days later the farmer and his wife and their grown-up daughter is found brutally murdered at Oaktree farm. Is this suicide or were the murdered? As the case is investigated James Walker finds out that the farmer was in a lot of debt. Was this one of the reasons that he and his family are dead? We also learned that 24 years previous that the owners of the farm also ended up the same way and their daughter was missing. Are these deaths connected somehow? This is another great story from Alex pine that I really enjoyed. It had interesting plot with several points of view that kept you guessing and a few red herrings along the way. The story was also going back and forward in time to find out the similarities between the two murders which gave you the full picture of what and why these deaths occurred that kept me guessing until the end. James walker is such a likeable character I would like to see how this series develops. 5 stars from me.

I enjoyed this second book even better than the 1st. The plot was intriguing and kept me guessing until the end. I enjoyed all the characters and learning more about them throughout the book. Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for a copy to honestly review.

I thought this was an okay read, with a great setting. I like the lake District, the characters were well written, and the mystery was interesting. I found the writing style a little stilted and I think it could have been tightened up. I was also very concerned about the lack of nutrition eaten by the main police man, when he came home from a hard day at work trying to solve a messy crime his wife bunged a ready meal in the microwave for him, on another occasion he had a cheese sandwich after a hard day at work. There is obviously a shortage of fruit, veg and salad in the lake district these days, I can't believe how distracted I became by his lack of good food ! Overall this was a reasonable read and its a 4 star read for me.

DI James Walker and his wife Annie moved to Kirkby Abbey, a sleepy Cumbrian village, to escape from London. Last Christmas their plans were ruined when a serial killer roamed the district but they are hoping for a quiet family Christmas this year. A local farmer returns home to find footsteps in the snow leading to a disused cellar and a commotion going on inside the farmhouse. Like a lot of farmers in the area the family are struggling financially and the farm is up for sale but they too are hoping for one last family Christmas in their home. Sadly it is not to be for either household and the unfolding story is brilliantly woven and had me gripped from the first page to the last.

DI James Walker was hoping for a quiet Christmas as last year was stressful hunting down a serial killer. Unfortunately, he’s not that lucky. Two days after Christmas he is called out to a possible murder/suicide at Oaktree Farm where the owners, the Batemans, have suffered gunshot wounds and their daughter has been stabbed, plus the daughter’s boyfriend has gone missing. The investigation is just getting underway when DI Walker is made aware of a similar murder/suicide at the farm twenty years ago, one in which the couples baby daughter went missing, presumed dead. Could the cases be linked? I haven’t read the first book, The Christmas Killer, but as this book worked as a standalone and I was intrigued enough by the plot that I decided to give it a read, though I never felt like I got to know DI James Walker fully or appreciated his character in the way I would have had I read the first book. The book is set in Cumbria, a place where I’m not sure I want to visit anymore given by how many thriller/detective books are set there!! Joking aside, Cumbria with its vast open spaces, numerous forests and lakes, plus tiny villages make for a great place to set a thriller and I can see why so many authors do. The plot felt fast and edgy, plus, the investigation had many leads to it, including a few red herrings. Given that I read a lot of thrillers I tend to have a good idea early on what has happened and by 38% of the way through the book I made my prediction which turned out to be near as damn right. This, however, didn’t take away my enjoyment of the book as I then needed to see if I was right or what I had missed. The Killer in the Snow kept me interested the whole way through. It had plenty of suspense and twists to keep you on your toes. It is dark and foreboding at times and I loved the snippets of info from twenty years ago and the first murder case at the farm and how DI Walker worked on the two cases to close them both.

Wow I loved this……. So much that i’ve downloaded the first book! Was grateful for the overview of the characters at the beginning of the book! Fast paced thriller, believable storyline and interesting characters! Would highly recommend

I loved this book and couldn't put it down. The storyline intertwined so well with the previous book and flowed well. Very refreshing that the main character isn't a hard drinking man with a broken marriage behind him living in a crappy flat. I did figure out who dunnit but not until well into the book and it didn't ruin it for me, I wanted to keep reading to see if I was right and how it had all come about. I really hope that there are many more books planned for this detective.

I am new to the murder-mystery genre, but, as they toe the line between thriller and true mystery, I have started to try more and more. Recently, Alex Pine’s James Walker follow-up was available for a look, and I am glad I didn’t pass this up. There is just enough chaos to drive you crazy and more than enough intrigue to keep you asking, “what in the hell is going on?” Robert Bateman is a troubled farmer with great debt, mainly due to his gambling habits, on the way home to Oaktree Farm. When he returns, his world completely changes. Oaktree Farm has its secrets. More than two decades ago, Simon and Amanda Roth met a grizzly death there that was ruled a murder-suicide. Megan, the Roth’s daughter, disappeared the same night. Detective James Walker and his partner Detective Jessica Abbott are on the case and endure car chases, shootings, and enough bad guys with secrets to keep you glued to the pages. Pine’s ability to keep multiple storylines going all at once and keep them separate is phenomenal. The Killer in the Snow is dark, gruesome, and will make you question everything about everyone you have ever known. How dark are their secrets?