Home for Christmas

Stories for Young and Old

Pub Date 05 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 05 Oct 2021
Plough Publishing, Plough Publishing House

Talking about this book? Use #HomeforChristmasBook #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Twenty tales for the holiday season selected for their spiritual value and literary quality.

They are some of the warmest childhood memories, those unhurried evenings around the fireplace, Christmas tree, or dinner table, when there was time for a story… Now, with this collection, you can keep the story-telling tradition alive in your family, and pass it on to your children or grandchildren.

Home for Christmas includes twenty time-honored tales. Several are by world-famous authors; others are little-known treasures translated from other languages. Selected for their literary quality and spiritual integrity, they will resonate with readers of all ages, year after year.

With original woodcuts by David Klein

A Note From the Publisher

Beautiful gift edition of a well-loved favorite with a new cover, embossed paper over boards, and colored endpapers. Over 22,000 sold in the original paperback release. Includes a new cover by the woodcut artist David Klein.

Advance Praise

If you’re giving one book for Christmas, make it this one. —Jim Trelease, author of The Read-Aloud Handbook

This is undoubtedly the most literary collection of Christmas stories to be published this season. The editors at Plough have taken a conservative approach, eschewing sentimental claptrap in favor of classic, elegant writing. There are some standard-bearers here, including Henry van Dyke's enduring yarn The Other Wise Man and Pearl S. Buck's gentle and touching story Christmas Day in the Morning. Some contributions are deeply theological (Madeleine L'Engle's Transfiguration) while others offer the dark, discerning cadences of a timeless fable (Selma Lagerlof's The Christmas Rose). The collection has an international flavor, with stories set in Cuba, Germany, Siberia, Palestine, Denmark and Spain, as well as in Vermont and New York City. Readers who crave literary excellence as well as a heartwarming Christmas message will relish this carefully selected and intelligent anthology. —Publishers Weekly

Home for Christmas is a thick book packed with lovely stories. Some of them are slightly comic, some of them have a clear moral lesson, some of them will make your heart swell with happiness, and all of them celebrate truth, goodness, and beauty… This is truly a fine collection, and if you read-aloud from this book you will touch hearts and make memories. Start with any story, snuggle in on the couch with some children, and prepare to have your heart readied for Christmas. —Faith F.

This book is a treasure. I am Chaplain at Portsmouth Abbey School and have distributed over 80 free copies of it to my high school students of all faiths, who have requested it. As they carry their copies home to family for Christmas vacation, this book will be a wonderful Christian support to their holidays. —Fr. Gregory Havill, OSB

It's often difficult to write stories that fit an inspirational Christmas theme but aren't sappy. The stories collected here have the dramatic heft that is usually lacking in Christmas stories. Even the stories that aim for fable-like simplicity have some compelling twist or a writing style that makes the usual seem incredible. Beautifully done, and well worth reading.

This is an adorable book. I read it on my Kindle, but I can't wait to see it in print as the woodcuts are wonderful. There are multiple short stories, all centered around Christmas. Some of them make you think, some make you smile, several may make you cry. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and I think that there may be several people receiving this book as a gift from me this Christmas. I wish it had gone on and on and on. It captures the meaning of Christmas.

A fun read with lots to love! A great gift for Christmas. Buy it early . . . I will be appreciated by your recipients.

I received an advance copy of, Home for Christmas, by Henry van Dyke, Pearl S. Buck, B.J. Chute, Rith Sawyer, Elizabeth Grouge, Selma Lagerlof, Rebecca Caudill, and Madeline L'Engle. This book has 22 stories about Christmas, from all over the world. Its a great collection for families to read together.

Though I'm unfamiliar with some of these writers, I'm delighted to get to know them in this book! There is something so cozy about a book of short stories, especially with themes of Christmas and the values that traditionally come with them. This is a book for old souls or for those who hope to develop the old souls in your own children. Most of the stories aren't explicitly focused on Christ's birth, but they're stories with Truth as their guide. I'm still working my way through the stories, seeing as I'm writing this in August, slowly approaching them like a wise ten year old who takes his or her time to eat the Christmas candy. I can't wait to make some of these stories part of our tradition. I received a digital advance copy of this book. All words and opinions are my own.

“Home for Christmas – Stories for Young and Old” by Elizabeth Goudge is a classic collection of twenty time-honored tales, with exemplary spiritual integrity and outstanding literary quality. Among the warmest childhood memories of Christmas, some are by world-famous authors; others are treasures from other languages. This timeless collection resonates with readers of all ages, down through the centuries. This classic anthology, full of elegant writing, has an international flavor, with stories set in various countries across the globe. Literary excellence and a heartwarming Christmas message blend together perfectly to create one of the finest Christmas collections ever. Home for Christmas is full of heartwarming stories, with clear moral lessons, to fill your heart with happiness. All the stories, filled with sweetness and light, celebrate truth, goodness, and beauty, to touch hearts and make memories. This book is a rare, priceless treasure to be enjoyed by one and all, as we prepare our hearts to celebrate Christmas.

Thanks Netgalley for allowing me to read this book. This book is a must read for all families during the holidays. It has several different short stories that capture the season of the holidays and will be enjoyed for many years to come.

This book was sent to, me on Kindle by Netgalley for review… this is a collection of Christmas stories…some enchanting and others intriguing…an unusual collection…

A wonderful book of stories for the Christmas season by so many well-known author. I'm looking forward to seeing it in print and in gifting it to other bibliophiles. An excellent edition to the genre.

Home for Christmas is a compilation of short stories by various authors. I found most to be very uplifting and inspirational. A few I felt a bit bogged down when reading, mainly those set in other countries where language may be unfamiliar. All have a happy ending in some way. This book is well put together and each story is well written. Many have been published previously in other books but there was only one I had read before. I believe this book would make a nice gift for any adult reader. I received an advance copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

Home for Christmas, brings us different authors telling us their story of Christmas. I enjoyed the book because there was more depth to the stories, the stories came from all over, and it not only felt like stepping back in time, but seemed to transport me there. Each story is unique, some I learned a lot from, and others, felt like, going through it while reading it. It is a different style of Christmas book, that reminded me of the classic Christmas stories of long ago. I received an ARC from Plough Publishing House through NetGalley.

A book of 20 tales of Christmas for all ages by various authors. This would make a nice Christmas gift and be a nice tradition for family reading during the holidays. I received a copy of this book from Plough Publishing and NetGalley. The opinion expressed is my own.

This book is sure to be a favorite of all those who love Christmas. A collection of 20 short stories that all honor the spirit of Christmas, this book would be a perfect read during the Advent season. The stories are appropriate for readers/listeners of all ages and offer a nice variety in tone and message. It would be a nice gift as well. I'll be re-reading this each Christmas season! My thanks to NetGalley and Plough Publishing House for allowing me to read an ARC of this book which is scheduled for publication on 10/5/21. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and are freely given.

Home for Christmas is a classic collection of Stories for Young and Old by many well known authors such as Henry van Dyke, Pearl S. Buck, B. J. Chute, Ruth Sawyer, Elizabeth Goudge, Selma Lagerlöf, Rebecca Caudill, and Madeleine L'Engle. A few of them were not as well known to me but wrote lovely, beautiful stories. Some of these stories reminded me of my childhood when I first experienced reading them. Wonderful stories with wonderful memories. Others that were new touched my heart too. Many of the stories are heartwarming and seeming simply at first glance but all have a big idea and lesson to be pondered. All in all a rare collection. The publisher through Net Galley provided a digital ARC. I have voluntarily decided to read and review, giving my personal opinions and thoughts.

Christmas is just around the corner and this is a wonderful collection of stories with Christmas as the theme. Some of the authors are familiar, some are not - - but all the stories are worthwhile. This book would make a wonderful Christmas gift.

Thank you for the Advanced copy. This is a wonderful collection of stories about Christmas by many authors, including Madeline L'Engle (A Wrinkle in Time). Highly recommended for Readers who love the Christmas season.

Christmas is one of my favorite holidays. It has always been a special time for me. There are 20 wonderful stories written by well known authors. There are other stories tha were unknown to me and may be to you. Those stories have been translated from other languages. Reading these stories made me feel a warm glow within. I felt comfort and hope from reading the stories. The stories enclosed that you may know isn’t the whole story and you may discover an alternative ending. This is a book to treasure as it definitely will remind you about the Christmas spirit and love. It’s an amazing book to read.

The stories represent various cultures and time periods showing the universality of Christmas. With the variety of stories presented in this anthology, readers will definitely find one that will ignite their hearts with the spirit of Christmas. I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book provided by the publisher and Net Galley but the thoughts expressed are my own.