Sense and Sensibility

Illustrations by Marjolein Bastin

Pub Date 02 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 02 Nov 2021

Talking about this book? Use #SenseandSensibility #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Gems of literature in a luxurious and unique design by Marjolein Bastin.

The Marjolein Bastin Classics Series is a chance to rediscover classic literature in collectible, luxuriously illustrated volumes. For the first time ever, the internationally celebrated artwork of Marjolein Bastin graces the pages of a timeless classic, Sense and Sensibility, the story of the Dashwood sisters. Beyond bringing these stories to life, Bastin’s series adds elaborately designed ephemera, such as four-color maps, letters, family trees, and sheet music.
Gems of literature in a luxurious and unique design by Marjolein Bastin.

A Note From the Publisher

We regret that this ARC is not available for Kindle viewing.

We regret that this ARC is not available for Kindle viewing.

Of course who doesn’t know who Jane Austen! Sense sensibility is my favorite of her stunning life-changing books. Those who are new to her works, will be allured by the beautiful cover. I will always recommend sense and Sensibility. 5/5

Can you get a cheaper copy of this story? Of course you can. It's in the public domain. But if you are an Austen lover cultivating a home library, then this is a perfect addition. I've long been a fan of Bastin's beautiful illustrations, and they are sprinkled throughout this lovely book. I wish this were a physical copy of the ARC so I could fondle the paper and appreciate the binding. This review is about this particular edition--the story itself has been reviewed for decades. It's my second-favorite Austen.

I received a free copy of this book for an honest review. This story is doubtless worthy of its high praise and this edition, in particular, reinforces that. The illustrations are dainty and beautifully done. They do not distract from the novel, rather enhance it and add to the character of the novel.

Beyond the typical concerns of beauty, personality, and character behavior while seeking for a marriage in 19th century England, there are three important elements in Sense and Sensibility. Indeed, what the Dashwood sisters seek—especially Elinor, who has more sophisticated tastes and is far more discriminating when it comes to men—is a man's judgment on literature and comprehension of natural beauty. One of the novel's greatest aspects is the love sister connection. Good sibling connections melt my heart more than anything else. And Elinor and Marianne are completely committed to one other. Despite the fact that their personalities are diametrically opposed, their love and compassion for one another has no boundaries. amazing book. i loved it so much

This was a very lovely edition of Sense and Sensibility. As a person who a) loves this book and b) loves anything floral, it was a hit! I wish there would have been more illustrations, but I understand that you don't want to overpower the book. The colors fit well with the theme and tone of the book, as well as the floral motif. While I have my own copy of Sense and Sensibility and won't be rushing out to buy another copy at this point, this would make such a lovely gift for an Austen fan, and I can already visualize it in an attractive book display in someone's home.

What a gorgeous version of Sense and Sensibility! With beautiful floral watercolors on each page, this would make the perfect gift for anyone - whether they are new to Jane Austen or already own a copy of the book. This would look lovely on anyone's coffee table or bookshelf.

This illustrated edition of Sense and Sensibility is a wonderful addition to the previous editions of Pride and Prejudice and Emma. These beloved classics are made even more beautiful with wonderful illustration that not only fits, but enhances the story. I am delighted to have found the illustrated books that remind me of my favorite childhood illustrations, and can enjoy as an adult. The watercolors of nature with beautiful colors interspersed throughout the text are evocative and just put a smile on my face. This delightful book, or the entire collection, would make a fantastic gift (or self-gift!). I received an ARC in exchange for an honest revie.w.

What a gem of literature. As with Wuthering Heights, the best part of this edition is the margin illustrations. The flora and fauna very much draw you into the story. Stunning simply stunning

I read all Jane Austen’s novels a long time ago and absolutely adored them. Sense and Sensibility is my second favorite by her, and this addition is absolutely stunning! Loved the illustrations – what a great way to enhance the vibe of the book!

This copy of Sense and Sensibility is so pretty! Would be beautiful on display for spring and summer. While I own a not so pretty copy of Sense and Sensibility I really think I'd buy this one as well if it' was a reasonable price. This cover would get reluctant readers to maybe pick it up atleast and is sure to catch many book buyers. I hope she comes out with a fallish version for Northanger Abbey!

Jane Austen is an outstanding author, and her books are very fresh and you never want to put your book down. I definitely recommend it.

The opening chapter of Sense and Sensibility is one of my favorite in all of Austen. I find her wit here to be so sharp. The reduction of expectations for the Dashwood family as they lose their property and much of their financial security, because of primogeniture, is described in a way that is actually quite scathing and revelatory of the estate’s new female doyenne. There is much to delight in as readers observe Elinor and Marianne interact with each other and those around them. Suffice it to say, that each embodies one of the titular traits. A rereading of this novel is always welcome to me. If you have not read S and S, I recommend it most highly. I especially want to draw you attention to this absolutely gorgeous edition of the book. It is surely true that there are many, many less expensive versions of the novel. That said, this enchantingly illustrated one will be adored by true Austen aficionados. The flowers throughout are just lovely. Consider making this one a gift for someone you know…maybe even yourself. Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher. All opinions are my own.

I'm always on the lookout for a beautifully done classic novel to recommend for a home book collection (or to add to my own!) and this one totally fit the bill. I've reviewed this version of Sense and Sensibility for style and art, rather than the test, as it is a classic we all know. The book is full of gorgeous watercolors at almost every turn - peonies, camellias and fuchsias; butterflies, birds, and feathers; oak leaves, acorns, and mushrooms. They fill the margins of pages, sit on top of the first letter of chapter, and/or fill the blank at the end of the page at the chapter closes. The story is told in three volumes, each of which are headed by a lovely, purple-shaded cover page that coordinates with the lovely dark pink, hardback cover, purple end pages, and multitudinous floral illustrations. The description of the edition also mentioned additional ephemera as well, such as four-color maps, letters, family trees, and sheet music, which were not apparent in the PDF copy I reviewed. As these sound fabulous, hopefully these will be available in the final hardcover version coming out this autumn. A big thank you to Andrews McMeel Publishing and NetGalley for providing and Advance Reader Copy in exchange for this honest review. Available November 2nd, please consider buying a copy of Sense and Sensibility from BookShop.org - the online bookshop that gives 75% of the book's profit margins back to independent bookstores. Find yours at https://bookshop.org/lists/best-gifts-for-book-lovers-2021. #SenseAndSensibility #MarjoleinBastin #AndrewsMcNeelPublishing

Gorgeous, timeless edition of the classic Sense and Sensibility. It's always a pleasure to pay a visit to these two sisters, Elinor and Marianne Dashwood, and the wit and writing of Jane Austen. The lovely artwork by Marjolein Bastin in this timeless edition enhances the story and is a perfect addition to any Austen lovers library. Many thanks to the publishers and Netgalley for an ARC in return for an honest review.

I love Sense and Sensibility and will take an opportunity I have to read it. This book was so pretty though, I loved the illustrations throughout the book and it made it even more enjoyable to read. This would be the perfect gift for any Jane Austen fan.

“It isn't what we say or think that defines us, but what we do.” Sense and Sensibility is a joyous classic. There are certainly truly detestable characters (looking at Willoughby, Lucy Steele, and John and Fanny Dashwood) but the story itself is wonderful to read. I’ve spent many hours happily re-reading (or listening) to this lovely Jane Austen title. I don’t know how to convey just how much Marjolein Bastin’s illustrations add even more gloriousness to this well-loved classic. Her artwork is stunning and this would make a beautiful addition to any well tended home library. “If a book is well written, I always find it too short.” Thanks to Andrew McMeel Publishing and NetGalley for the ARC of this book. Opinions shared are influenced by nothing other than my reading experience.

Yet another beautiful edition of Jane Austen’s novels from this publisher. It is wonderful to read the tale of Elinor Dashwood and Miss Dashwood in such a beautiful form. Probably my favourite of Jane Austen’s novels, this edition is a dream to read with its gorgeous floral illustrations at every turn. Highly recommended for Austen’s fabulous story and the added bonus of the beauty of the edition, Thanks to Netgalley for a copy of this beautiful novel.

It's not news that I'm a Jane Austen fan, but this new edition is beautifully illustrated and a happy addition to my shelf. Whether the Dashwoods have long been some of your favorite characters (see one of the 1892 editions of this book earlier in my Insta gallery at Instagram.com/BeautyBeatLifestyle), or you're meeting them for the first time, this edition is perfect for reading in a garden (or pretending you're in a garden while snuggled up at home). I also love to go through the book and highlight dialogue and sections used in the film (Emma Thompson is a dream in everything), and this version lends itself well to that study and writing research practice. Sense and Sensibility - (Marjolein Bastin Classics) by Jane Austen (Hardcover), releasing November 2nd. #SenseandSensibility #NetGalley @NetGalley #Bookstagram #booksaremylife #bookishlove #bookshelfie #bookblog #bookaesthetic #bookishallure #bookishfeed #bookgram #bookster #bookishphotos #bookishcommunity #bookishrainbow #bookstack #bookishladiesclub #bookishglee #booksgram #booksarelife #bookobsessed #booknerdigans #bookcover #booklife #bookstagramer #bookishlife #booksofinsta #booknerds #booksta #bookishthoughts

This was an absolutely gorgeous edition of an incredible book! The illustrations weren't too over the top, and didn't distract from the story but added to it. Floral motifs repeated throughout elevated the story, and the colour palette really fits the book's mood. Would absolutely buy this for any Jane Austen lovers, it'll look great up on a bookshelf and is a real treat.