One for Sorrow

Pub Date 17 Feb 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #OneForSorrow #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Bestselling author Helen Fields is back with her best book yet. A masterful crime thriller that is set to be the most memorable read of 2022.

One for sorrow, two for joy
Edinburgh is gripped by the greatest terror it has ever known. A lone bomber is targeting victims across the city and no one is safe.

Three for a girl, four for a boy
DCI Ava Turner and DI Luc Callanach face death every day – and not just the deaths of the people being taken hostage by the killer.

Five for silver, six for gold
When it becomes clear that with every tip-off they are walking into a trap designed to kill them too, Ava and Luc know that finding the truth could mean paying the ultimate price.

Seven for a secret never to be told…
But with the threat – and body count – rising daily, and no clue as to who’s behind it, neither Ava nor Luc know whether they will live long enough to tell the tale…

With twists and turns you’ll never see coming, prepare to be gripped by this devastatingly good thriller. Perfect for fans of Stuart MacBride and MJ Arlidge.

One for sorrow, two for joy
...

EDITION Ebook
PRICE £3.99 (GBP)

Send To Kindle (PDF)

Avon, I can't express how thankful I am for the opportunity to read and review book seven! Now I'm obsessed with the D.I. Callanach set! One For Sorrow by Helen Fields book 7 Even though I have not read.1-6 this can read as a standalone. I do intend to read the ones before. Because I hate reading a series out of order. One for Sorrow, This addictive story flows so well. I was seriously captivated by the story and before I knew what time it was I damn near done! Had to slow it down some. The story was amazing, a real thriller that grabbed me from the start.  I loved how real this story felt! Its amazing to me really how an author can do what they do. And Helen did the dang thing with this one. A great page turner from Fields, I devoured it in a matter of hours and am already anxious for the next instalment.  🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 Now I'm off to figure out how I can get book one through six! Because I need them all now! Thank you again to Avon, NetGalley and Fields for this phenomenal story! I will post to my platforms closer to the pub date!

This is the 7th book in the DI Callanach series by author Helen Fields. This is an excellent series that features a former member of Interpol, Luc Callanah who is now working for the Major Investigations Team of Police Scotland, based in Edinburgh. I really enjoy this series which has great characters, interesting plots and always a page turner. This latest book is again written at a very high standard and is sure to please readers of the series. A lone bomber is spreading terror across Edinburgh as he targets victims and no one is safe. DCI Ava Turner and DI Luc Callanach face death everyday in their chosen careers and not just the deaths of the people being taken hostage by the killer. It becomes apparent that with every tip-off they are walking into a trap designed to kill them too, It becomes a race against time to stop the bomber before he causes any more deaths with Ava and Luc facing the ultimate price. All the time the dead body count is rising as the police seek to find the bomber. This is a real page turner with twists and turs and plenty of action. The tension rises to the very end of the novel. I would like to thank both Netgalley and Avon Books UK for supplying a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Having read books by Helen Fields before, I knew what to expect and certainly wasn’t disappointed. If you haven’t read any of Helen’s books then you are missing out and this is as good a one to start with as any, although if you don’t like to jump into a character or characters who have appeared in previous titles, missing out on some of their life stories then start from her first books and work up to this one. Fast moving, nice twists and a very enjoyable read. Recommend.

Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for this ARC. Helen Fields has really wrote a cracker of a read here, and one which had me enthralled. She is one of my favourite authors and her books have always hit the mark with me. The book started off so well, with a beginning I couldn’t have ever imagined and it just got better as it progressed. I’ve followed this series from the start and wow, this book is a great addition to an already fab series of books. I loved being back in the world of the MIT and following Ava and Luc as they investigate a case where a lone bomber is targeting citizens of Edinburgh. Who is he and why is he doing this? I loved the dual time line and had empathy for some of the characters in the story whilst loathing others. The inclusion of a character from a previous book was a brilliant addition to the story and gave depth into the bombers motivation and actions. I hope to see this character feature more in future books. Overall this was a thrilling, fast paced read that was so very well written and engaging. There were many ‘wow’ moments for me and twists galore that made this such a great read. As always this author knows how to connect with a reader and keep that connection going all the way through the book. Highly recommend this book and series and looking forward to Helen Fields next book.

This book was sent to me by Netgalley for review electronically…Temes of friendship, respect, murder, and mayhem. Although the story moves somewhat slowly, it does speed up to a conclusion that is satisfactory. The characters are realistic with problems of their own, combined to mesh together to enclose the main idea of this book…. Try this one…this author is an excellent writer in keeping the reader’s attention.

Firstly massive thank to Avon books and netgalley for the oppurtunity to read an early copy of this book. I have read and loved all of the Luc and Ava series so far. I think its quite hard for a writer of a series to keep up the suspense and thrill for so long, but Helen Fields has managed it and each book gets better. I was excited to read the next installment, and from thenvery beginning i was hooked. I was guessing the whole way through and when i thought i knew, i was proved wrong. At one point, i felt like id been slapped, because i couldn't believe what i was reading. Then when i thought i had recovered, Helen dealt a blow so hard, i had to put it down because i knew what was coming and i didnt want to have to read it. Well done Helen, because you have managed another amazing installment to an amazing series. Some series tend to get a bit slow after so many books, but this series has just got better and better. Now please wrote the next book super quick because you left it on such a cliff hanger, i need to know whats going to happen. If i could give more than 5 stars i would because it deserves so much more. Amazing book, i definitely advise reading it

I've been an avid reader of this series from the start, very few authors consistently write such tense, high stakes, high quality dark crime thrillers. This series is at its best when Ava and Luc are working closely together, with high threat levels, racing against time to prevent the next major crime, and this book delivers. There is a bomber causing carnage with devastating explosions, Luc and Ava must try to get get one step ahead before the bomber strikes again. Dr Connie Woolwine who starred in The Shadow Man also makes an appearance. This book has it all, brilliant characters, tension, twists and danger from the first page to the last. The 'Before' plot (which goes deep into the history behind the bomber's motivations) is excellent, surprisingly poignant and as involving and all-consuming as the race to stop the crimes. I can't recommend this book highly enough, one of the very best books from one of the best authors in the genre. It would work as a standalone, but if you haven't read the previous six books you should really treat yourself. The perfect continuation to the 'Perfect' series. Thanks to Netgalley and Avon Books UK

Wow, what can I say? I finished One for Sorrow late last night and I can honestly say I’m still reeling. What a triumph for Helen Fields. Few words come to mind upon reflecting back on my voracious read of her latest book; Fast-paced. Relentless. Powerful. Breath-taking. Emotional. Devastating. Heart-stopping. I have been an avid reader of Helen Fields since 2018 when I first stumbled across Perfect Remains just as I started my Masters. Delighted to have discovered a series that was already well-established and highly praised, I began reading and listening my way through the rest of the series on my morning and evening commutes to and from college – it has to be said that Robin Laing does a masterful job of narrating the series and his portrayal of Luc, in particular, is exemplary. I quickly learned that this was the story of two detectives with a difference and with so much to offer both new and enduring readers. Fields’ realistic and refreshing portrayal of a man who is left to deal with the aftermath of a false rape allegation is manifest in our first protagonist, Detective Inspector Luc Callanach. Cleared of all charges, he escapes France and returns to the country of his birth, Scotland, to start a new life, a new job, and to ultimately try to heal physically, mentally, and emotionally. Luc is a real gem and Fields provides him with the room and tools to grow as the series progresses. This is evident in his work ethic, his relationships with his colleagues and closest friends, his endless empathy for victims, and the difficult challenges he faces and overcomes. Following his character development and journey is such a pleasure. Our second protagonist is Ava Turner, a sharp, bright, unfailingly hard-working detective who, as the series progresses, quickly rises through the ranks. At the end of Perfect Prey (Book #2), we see her rise to the position of Detective Chief Inspector of the Major Investigation Team. Although entirely well deserved, the role does not come without its challenges and Ava finds herself, more often than not, shouldering the brunt of the investigations she leads, getting up close and personal with the truly gruesome and horrifying aspects of these crimes. It was in Perfect Silence (Book #4) that Ava tells Luc, “Police work turns you into an emotional sieve. You start off with so much hope and good intention. Little by little it runs out of you and you’re left with only the hard bits of yourself.” This is especially evident in One for Sorrow. While Ava is a no nonsense, boots-on-the ground detective, she has an unshakeable compassion for victims and little by little, it is revealed to the reader the extent of the impact these horrific crimes have on her, physically and mentally, and yet, she perseveres. The reader can only hope that Ava takes action before she allows herself to become the sieve she once cautioned Luc about. Luc and Ava’s relationship is, for me, the highlight of this series and Fields does a fantastic job of portraying their enduring friendship, their struggles, and later, their deep love for one another. And so, we arrive at the heart-stopping events of One for Sorrow. From the get-go, we are flung right into the action, brought on a journey that grips you tight and never lets go, even to the last page – I can certainly say this book will stay with me for a long time. Luc, Ava, and the rest of Edinburgh’s Major Investigation Team are plunged into a destructive plot that seeks to maim and kill innocent victims all over the city. It becomes clear that no one is safe and Edinburgh’s finest find themselves at the very centre of it. The twists and turns are unrelenting and as the reader navigates their way through the shocking events, it becomes abundantly clear that everything is on the line. I really enjoyed catching up with the familiar characters that make up MIT again; DS Lively, DS Tripp, Superintendent Overbeck, DI Pax Graham, and new joiner Dr Nate Carlisle. Fields does a wonderful job of portraying their rapport with one another – I have become so invested in the team I feel like I know them personally. Also, our beloved Natasha – I constantly found myself laughing at her antics and her exchanges with Luc and Ava. She is simply irreplaceable. Other highlights of my read included Dr Connie Woolwine’s appearance (from Helen Fields’ standalone The Shadow Man). The conversation she has with Luc in the bar is a stand-out. Also, I really enjoyed Dr Carlisle’s appearance - I am looking forward to seeing him again at some stage. One for Sorrow had me gripped from the very start to the very end. Truth be told, it took me an exceptionally long time to pick up my jaw from the floor after reading the last page. For any prospective readers out there that are looking to delve into a series that has superb character development, enthralling plotting, and unforgettable twists and turns please consider this one – I promise you won’t regret it. I would like to sincerely thank Helen Fields, Avon Books UK, and NetGalley for the ARC.

I didnt rea.ise that several other books had come before this one fesaturing the same detective, however that didnt stop me enjoying this book. It was gripping and tense, full of mystery and suspense and was so unpredictable. A great stroy, great writing and well devloped characters makes this one of my new favourite charcaters and a new author that i need to devour at every opportunity.

I have read every single one of Helen's books and enjoyed them all. This one was just as brilliant maybe even better. I love following DCI Ava Turner and DI Luc Callanach's lives and seeing what they get up to. I would say you really need to read all the other books to get a sense of each character and hear their back stories. Trust me as soon as you pick this book up, you will not want to put it down. It is a cracker of a read with twists and turns coming at you from every corner, you won't know who to trust, or what is going to happen. The story had me from the first chapter and I managed to read it in a day. I think this is the best detective series I have ever read and I wonder where it will go from here on out. This series would be perfect for a TV series. I feel as though Ava and Luc are my friends and I was rooting for them to find the killer in their next investigation. Such a great story that I want to re read, just to get that feeling again.

As twisted as always from this author. Well written with a complex plot, the return of several characters and a killer conclusion

When a madman intent on taking lives and destroying property begins detonating bombs all over Edinburgh, Detectives Ava Turner and Luc Callanach are tasked with tracking down the killer before he can strike again. Playing a deadly game with a killer leaving them clues, Ava and Luc are aware that every step closer to the killer means that they are putting themselves in harms way. What is the killer’s agenda, and who is next on his list? This is a tight, believable police procedural that kept me on the edge of my seat

Absolutely brilliant! I have loved every book in this series but this is by far the best. Tense and gritty it has left me very unsettled. More please.

How had i never come across this author before?! This, for me, was the perfect book!! Its so complex and well written, there are twists and turns and it keeps you hooked right through til the end! It's nice and dark and edgy and really does send shivers down your spine at parts. The characters themselves are so well crafter that these are almost real people woth real personalities and backgrounds and it just adds so much to the story and to how invested you get in these people when you are left feeling you do really know them. They're not characters anymore, these are people you care about and who you want to see come out on top and I loved that about this story. This book keeps you so edge for so much of the story that once you do finish it, you will definitely need a lie down to actually process the insane journey this book takes you on! Amazing!!

Without a doubt the best book I've read in 2021, probably in a very long time. This is the most gripping, horrific and heart wrenching book I've ever read. I couldn't tear myself away from the pages, I cried I raged and now I am desperate for the next book! What an excellent piece of work, the author should be very proud.

The latest instalment in the Helen Fields ‘Perfect’ series. Fans of Ava and Callanch will not be disappointed. From the off, this book had me gripped. I felt tense as I read on, as each chapter was action packed and full of yet more twists and turns. Whilst reading, I gasped, I cried and may even have laughed once or twice. I really recommend this book to all. It can be read as a standalone, or as part of the series.

I have followed this series avidly from the start and it never disappoints, I was delighted to receive a copy from Netgalley for One For Sorrow and had to dive in as soon as my approval email popped up. The 7th installment but by no means any less tense or engaging than its predecessors this book truly had me gripped from the very start. A bomber is wreaking havoc on the city of Edinburgh. MIT detectives Luc and Ava are a formidable and robust duo, tasked with bringing the reign of terror to a close. This book was a real page turner. I would urge you to read the first books in the series, as the history and background just make these books so, so good, but it could easily be read as a standalone. The writing is seriously clever, the actions of the killer make this book truly terrifying, but the twists add another level of surprise that truly leave you in awe and on the edge of your seat. I loved the appearances of characters from other standalone books by Helen fields. These characters are so well written they truly feel real. The relationships between the characters are so believable and natural, that you can truly picture the conversations and connections between the characters leaving you not just invested but feeling them really come alive. The dual timelines give you different perspectives adding another level of tension and true horror to the book. As I was reading I was trying to piece the story together, trying to guess how this was all going to come together. I am always left impatiently waiting for the next book of this series but the ending of this left me truly horrified that I will have to wait for the next book to find out what’s next for this pair of characters. The ending was absolutely brilliant and without giving away any spoilers has been the very best yet! If I could award more than 5 stars for this I would, it’s an absolute masterclass of a thriller!

Stop everything you’re doing and read this book. The next in the DCI Ava Turner and DI Luc Callanach series – and seriously, start reading this modern crime classics if you haven’t already – sees Edinburgh in a state of terror, unlike anything the city has ever known. A lone bomber is targeting victims, seemingly at random, meaning no one is safe. The police face down death every day but they couldn’t predict the speed, or trauma that would be inflicted on families in the city… and within their own professional lives. Once they realise that every tip off leads them into another trap, they keep working, putting their lives on the line to look after others’. But the story is complicated, and as the body count rises and they’re at a loss as to who is responsible – and why – will the more-than-friends colleagues discover the truth? There are ample twists and turns to keep you entertained and the writing and plot are so well crafted, that it’s hats off and a round of applause yet again for Helen.

DI Luc Callenach and DCI Ava Turner #7. DCI Ava Turner attends a funeral of a good friend, she’s dazed, angry and full of grief but informs Death that it hasn’t won and she will exact revenge no matter the cost. This is the start of an adrenaline fuelled, high octane investigation with fury unleashed on many people including the Edinburgh based MIT team led by DCS Overbeck placing them all in terrible danger. The race is in to find the source and cause of the cruel mayhem. Interspersed with the horror of the investigation is a back story that contrasts sharply with the terror being witnessed and which is absolutely heartbreaking and poignant. I’m keeping things as vague as possible as this one is best entered blind for maximum impact. I have loved the series since Book One but in this Helen Fields is on fire, it really is a strap yourself ride into shock city. Talk about unleash all your creative juices in this latest instalment, it’s a no holds barred journey into anguish, fear, sadness and pain. The pace isn’t just fast it’s almost warp speed. What transpires makes for incredible reading, I literally gasp in a few places as it’s such an unexpected punch to the gut. The plot has everything from despair to danger and inconceivable violence that seems to defy explanation. I love this police team who feel so familiar now with all their likeable flaws and I’m still just a tad in love with Luc. There are such great vibes between Luc and Ava and I also enjoy the tense standoff between Ava and Overbeck. I do figure some of it out but not all by any means and as for the ending …. can you hear me shouting from here Ms Fields???? I trust you won’t keep your fans hanging too long. Overall, if you want a jaw dropping, fast paced, tension as taut as piano wire read with excellent characters, a rollercoaster plot that has so many twists it’s dizzying and dazzling then this is for you. It doesn’t matter if you haven’t read the other six books (they are good though!) as this one is just begging to be read. With thanks to Netgalley and especially to Avon Books for the much appreciated arc in return for an honest review.

Oh my this is an high octane of a book! From the get go it set a heart racing pace, a nail biting narrative and a true triumph for Helen! This is the 7th book in the DI Callanish series but you could definitely read it as a standalone. I have a wee confession that although I own all the previous books in the series I haven't read them all and I had no problem following the threads from the previous outings. However, this is a mistake that I am going to rectify! Ava and Luc are dealing with a serial bomber in the Edinburgh area, one who seems to be targeting front line workers like the police and ambulance services. It's a complex case with not many leads. However, the bomber keeps tipping off the police and they are having to respond even though they know they are walking into a trap. Ava in particular is being very reckless when responding as she is reeling from a personal loss and Luc is at a loss at how to reach her. I read this book in one sitting and I can honestly say I will be recommending this both on my personal blog and via Murder at the Bookshop. 'One for Sorrow' was a deeply moving and empathetic look at obsession and the consequences of failing to curb this both on a societal and personal level. The number of twist and turns meant you were constantly on the edge of your seat and left you guessing right up to the end. It truly is an example of a writer at the top of their game and I for one am very excited to find out what comes next!

Another excellent addition to the DI Luc Callanach and DCI Ava Turner series by Helen Fields. I've enjoyed this series since I read the first book 'Perfect Remains' back in 2017 and it was great to be back with the Major Investigation Team; this time the case becomes very personal. As with all series, it's ideal to start at the beginning to follow the character and relationships progression. Saying that, the case and its escalation work independently and provides a high paced, thrilling read. Turner is the character focus for this book in the series; she's an intense, committed officer who's going through grief and crisis during the book whilst tackling a traumatic and violent serial bomber. Interspersed with the main narrative are back story events and we slowly begin to piece together the developments into one plotline. Along the way, Fields pushes red herrings and twists skillfully to keep the intrigue and tension building. There's also some very emotional moments and those who are following the series will be moved and upset by these... and, wow what a shock ending! Highly recommended.

Just when you think a series can't get any better, Bam She's done it again. The Story of Luc and Ava continues with them facing a lone bomber. This is an absolute page turner of a book with so many twists and turns. It's an absolute belter of a book and I can't wait for the next one.

A Determined Killer… Turner and Callanach are back in this gripping and suspenseful thriller and Edinburgh is the grasp of a high terror situation. With ongoing threat and a rising body count will the detectives be able stop this determined killer in their tracks? The trouble is that the killer’s traps are also meant for them. With a constant thread of tension and menace, a wholly credible cast of characters and a sharp plot this is a one sit, chilling read.

Another great edition in the Ava & Luc series. Gripped from the first page as always with Helens books and didn't let go, plenty of twists and turns with a very tense suspenseful story at times. This book can be read as a stand-alone but I would recommend reading the series from the beginning to get the background of the great characters. I highly recommend this book, series and author.

Firstly I would like to thank Netgalley for the opportunity to read this title by Helen Fields, as a huge fan of all her books I knew I was going to love this one and I was not wrong!! Wow!! I could not put it down, totally chilling yet expertly written to keep you on the edge of your seat from start to finish! Have tissues at the ready it’s going to get you in the feels for sure! Already cannot wait for the next offering in 2022 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

This is a really dark addition to Helen Fields series staring Ava Turner and Luc Callanach. So much death and destruction as a lone bomber terrorizes Edinburgh. It is written with empathy as well as unflinching descriptions of the aftermath of the bombings. There are interludes in the form of a dual timeline which is puzzling at first but becomes clear as it progresses. The suspense throughout is brilliantly maintained as Ava and Luc strive to find the bomber’s identity. Not only is Helen excellent at suspense, she writes characters that leap off the page, they feel so real as you follow their lives beyond work encompassing sadness, happiness and joy. A terrific read and I recommend the series. Thanks to Avon books and NetGalley for an Arc in return for my honest opinion.

#OneForSorrow #NetGalley A good read. A bomber is targeting people and this is getting more sinister and it seems that the police is dealing with their darkest case till date. How will they solve this case? A second story of Quinn is going on which seemed unconnected in the beginning but Helen Fields made a connection. Read this thriller to know more. Thanks to NetGalley and Avon for giving me an advanced copy.

Wow. Having ended the previous book in this series with Natasha seriously ill with cancer, we open this one with a funeral. A very upsetting start and we finish with yet another cliffhanger. Hope the next book comes soon ! From beginning to end though it's top quality and while it's pretty obvious what the motivation is there are plenty of twists and turns. Very enjoyable as was the appearance of Dr. Woolwine from The Shadow Man.

This book is the 7th in a series which features DCI Ava Turner and DI Luc Callanach it is set in Edinburgh. It does not disappoint, Helen Fields has not lost impetus with this story, it starts with a killing of a member of the team and it becomes apparent that there is a serial bomber loose in Edinburgh. I couldn't put it down!!The cast of characters are fantastic and well observed. The dynamic between Ava, Luc and their flatmate Natasha is well written. The plot is so devious and twisted a page turner until the last page which left me open mouthed. I loved it !!!

Heck, this one certainly grabs you by the throat! No need to repeat the story as others have, in fact I always think it’s best to read a book knowing very little about it. I have not read any of the previous books in this series so didn’t know anything about the characters, but for anyone else in the same situation it really doesn’t matter. This is an excellent standalone story and there are useful references to what has occurred previously. It’s a proper thriller, and brings out every emotion that you can think of. It’s full of unbelievable horror, excitement, anguish, fear and, at times, extreme sadness. If I had to sum it up in just one word it would be harrowing. I preferred the first half of the book to the second, probably as I’d half-guessed what was going on by then and the pace seemed to slow a little. The only reason I’ve given 4 stars and not 5 is that it was just a tad ‘over the top’ for me. It was very well written, and I’ll definitely be reading the next instalment. Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the ARC.

DCI Ava Turner and DI Luc Callanach return in this 7th instalment of the series. Ava is mourning and investigating the death of her close friend and team pathologist when events lead to another fatal bombing situation. Then a whole series of attacks follow and the pressure is on to find the attackers. A fast paced and adrenaline filled time for Ava and the team which is reflected brilliantly in the writing. A sub plot, which occurred a few months earlier is also instrumental to the events taking place in the present. The last chapter really choked me up. I am anxious to read what happens next.

The latest book in the Luc and Ava series by Helen Fields, which is one of my favourite crime series. The premise is so clever and seriously dark – it pulls no punches – and the dual timeline narrative, the BEFORE that starts to work up to the "why" of the crime is so well written, and utterly heartbreaking. I felt like I had my pulse in my throat from about half way through, and it stayed there all the way up until the end. It is an incredible, heartbreaking, terror-filled, pulse-in-throat thriller. So brilliantly plotted, clever and slick and so, so dark. You will struggle to put it down, and then when you run out of pages you’ll be absolutely bereft. And that ending . . . No spoilers, but I'm still not over it.

Wow! I love the D I Callanach series but Helen Fields has outdone herself with this one. Full of twists, turner and reverses. I absolutely loved it. Where now?

I just finished One for the Sorrow and it was just brilliant, I feel like all my emotions were put in the tumble dryer on high speed spin for 8 hours, what a ride that book was. From the first pages my heart was in my mouth, phenomenal read, the characters are perfectly written, everyone of them a star, cannot wait for the next book.

Tons of typos in the early edition I read, but otherwise pretty darn fantastic. The author did a great job representing everyone without making everything black and white.

Helen fields is fantastic! After I finished her last book, the shadow man, I was so excited to see this one! I read it in one day. I really enjoy police procedurals, and this one kept me hooked the whole time. It’s fine to read on it’s own, but I’m sure it makes more sense when you follow the series. I wasn’t lost, but I plan to read older ones to catch up on anything I’ve missed. I highly recommend this for those who like fast paced books and detectives stories.

I would like to thank Netgalley and Avon Books UK for an advance copy of One for Sorrow, the seventh novel to feature DCI Ava Turner and DI Luc Callanach of the Edinburgh Police. A lone bomber is wreaking havoc in Edinburgh, but with no idea of the motive or any clues to link the events Ava ans Luc are struggling to solve the case. I thoroughly enjoyed One for Sorrow, which is a tense, difficult read full of twists and turns. The novel is mostly told from Ava’s point of view with Luc’s added at strategic moments and is intercut with the story of a young woman, Quinn, and her difficult relationship. The bombings are gruesome and only for readers with a strong constitution because they have a high body count and some warped and fiendish delivery systems. Still, it is extremely well done and the reader can feel Ava’s tension and stress as she tries to progress the case. I also liked the misdirection in the second half, where all is not as it seems. This part of the novel is a bit over the top in terms of what is realistically possible, but so what? It’s exciting, entertaining and pushes the reader to keep turning the pages. I had no idea where the author was going with Quinn’s story, but I think it is almost better than the bombing thread because it is so realistic. I found it harrowing and all too believable as it closely resembles an article I was reading today by coincidence. There are no winners in this novel and the solution is tinged with sadness and what ifs. This can also be said of the conclusion which ends in a massive cliffhanger. The next novel will be interesting. One for Sorrow is a good read that I have no hesitation in recommending.

Wow. Now I’ll admit that the DI Luc Callanach series is one of my favourite crime series and the tension is ramped up in each book. Helen Fields has surely surpassed herself with this, which is an adrenaline packed page turner. Book 7 is explosive and gripping. It also leaves us on a major cliffhanger - I could not help exclaiming “Oh My God!” at the ending of this. Dear Ms Fields, please don’t leave us in limbo too long and those characters we know and love, you know, can we have a happy outcome for them? I’d like to say thank you to Avon and Netgalley for kindly giving me an electronic arc of this story in exchange for my review.

I’ve been a fan of Helen Fields and the ‘Perfect’ series from the start, and this latest instalment was incredible. Shocks and twists from the start with moments of genuine out loud gasps of horror. No spoilers here but just a wholehearted recommendation for fans of the police investigation/ crime thriller genre. I hope it’s not long to the next one because the ending is begging to be resolved!

WOW What a great read this book was. A lone bomber in Edinburgh is targeting victims but the link is unknown its left to DCI Ava Turner and D I Luc Callanach to solve the case. With every tip off they are walking towards danger.The body count is growing and they have no idea who the killer is. Told from the now and before prospective. The writing is so good you feel what the characters feel at each turn. From the first page I was hooked and the last chapter left me shouting "NO DON'T STOP NOW". Can't wait to read more in the series, Thanks to Netgalley and Avon Books for the ARC

This is the 7th book in the DI Callanach series by author Helen Fields and I haven’t read the previous 6 but that’s no problem, it works beautifully as a stand alone novel. That said I can’t wait to read the rest of the series in order. Set in Scotland its a real page turner. Lots of drama, heart stopping tension and a page turner from start to finish.

This is the 7th book in the DCI Turner/DI Callanach series, they can be read as a stand-alone, situations are explained as they go along! Ava Turner is attending the funeral of her dear friend and pathologist, she then has to go and watch the video of how the death happened. This book is not for the faint-hearted! It is very gruesome and graphic but wow, what an absolute roller-coaster. I could not put it down Highly recommended

Wow! What a brilliant book. Totally had me gripped from the first and held my attention all the way through. Such a roller coaster of emotions and horrors and tense moments. Wonderful storytelling.

A mad man is on the loose in Edinburgh. He's kidnapping random people and then using these victims to stage elaborate situations, drawing as many first responders as possible so that he can blow them up. It is up to DCI Ava Turner and DI Luc Callanach to try and put a stop to him. They are racing against time to figure out who the Edinburgh bomber is and what is driving him on. This is the seventh book in the DI Callanach series, a series which has passed me by so the characters are completely new to me. Being new to such a well established series did not spoil my enjoyment at all as you are immediately gripped by the story. The opening is very sombre but the author then goes straight in to two explosives scenes that have your heart racing. As the story develops the reader feels as if they are part of the investigation team, questioning exactly what has happened but more importantly, why? Alongside the current day action is interwoven a backstory which eventually explains the motivation behind the bombings. You cannot help but feel a mixture of disbelief, sadness and anger as this backstory unfolds. Even when you've figured out "who" is responsible the author keeps pulling the rug from under the readers feet, making you literally gasp in disbelief. Nerves are fraught and emotions left in shreds right until the last page.

First of all, thank you so, so much Avon books for sending me this book. It was through Netgalley and Avon books that I first came to discover Helen Fields and she's been my favorite author ever since. This book was absolutely fantastic, absolutely amazing! From the complexity of the story, character analysis and plot to ideas and themes discussed, this book blew my mind. I read this in one sitting, going to bed at 2 am on a Sunday. Don't know what more to say to make you understand my appreciation for this book or for Helen Fields. The book follows a serial bomber who seems to have a vendetta against the police&comp. The story is told in parallel timelines following both the search for the bomber and the story that led to the existence of the murderer. It was at no point predictable, even when you think you know whom it was, it isn't. She touches on matters of rape, the inadequacy of procedures, how to deal with the feeling that you're letting everyone down, the difference between being crazy and crazed, how the world is never black and white and it would be foolish to assume so. It's only fit to have this part of the "Perfect" series. It was a perfect book.

Gripping. Scary. Enthralling. Unputadownable. Loved it. I’m not one for vicious murders preferring my Murders grim free. This was great. Well down to the author. Really enjoyed it.

As ever Helen Fields has produced a classic crime thriller. It has the usual cast but it is written as a before and after the crimes. It is very well written with some unique ways of murdering someone remotely, which gives food for thought. I loved it and had great difficulty putting it down. She shows as ever an in-depth knowledge of policing as well as pathology. Not a book to sit and gather dust!

I’m at a loss for words to describe this book. It was actually one of the most horrifying books I’ve ever read. Brutal and vicious to the core. My heart raced from page one. The past/present writing started off seemingly mild but escalated quickly. Once we got to the root of the story the brutality made sense to me. I found the perp was not a shocking surprise despite is not being alluded to. As a parent my perspective on this story went from sheer heart stopping terror to anger and sadness… sometimes in the same chapter. This is one of those books where I hate to say it.. the villain is also the hero. Well done, well told, gripping and nightmare inducing.

A fantastic read most unusual and. Quite terrifying way to extract revenge,lot’s of twists and turns from beginning to end kept me enthralled right to the very end and even then a final twist leaving the reader wondering what comes next

I've read several of Helen Fields' books now and I am always impressed, so much so that I would easily think of her as one of those authors that I would happily seek out and pick up any of her future or previous releases. You just know that you will enjoy them. Even though I wasn't aware that this book was part of a series, it can definitely be read on its own. This really did hold my attention the whole way through. I enjoyed how many twists and turns there were, most of which I did not see coming. After that ending I will certainly need to read the next book in the series! It may not be my favourite Helen Fields book but I still very much enjoyed it. Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I absolutely LOVED this book! I didn’t want it to end! It had me gripped from the first page! A five star recommendation. I love this author and I can’t wait for the next instalment in this series. Many thanks to netgalley and Helen Fields for the advanced copy of this book. I agreed to give my unbiased opinion voluntarily.

I was lucky to receive an advance copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review and opinion. I have not previously read this author and when I requested it wasn't aware that it was part of a series. I wasn't sure if I would have trouble understanding what was going on since I hadn't read the prior books - nope, not a problem at all! There is a ton of action and suspense and extremely fast-paced! I thought I knew what was going to happen but boy was I wrong. You will not be able to put this down once you start. I now need to go back and read all the prior books as this was that good! Thank you for turning me on to a new series/author.