On Property

Policing, Prisons, and the Call for Abolition

Narrated by David Andrew Reid
Pub Date 15 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 01 Nov 2021

Talking about this book? Use #OnProperty #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

From plantation rebellion to prison labour’s super-exploitation, Walcott examines the relationship between policing and property.

That a man can lose his life for passing a fake $20 bill when we know our economies are flush with fake money says something damning about the way we’ve organized society. Yet the intensity of the calls to abolish the police after George Floyd’s death surprised almost everyone. What, exactly, does abolition mean? How did we get here? And what does property have to do with it? In On Property, Rinaldo Walcott explores the long shadow cast by slavery’s afterlife and shows how present-day abolitionists continue the work of their forebears in service of an imaginative, creative philosophy that ensures freedom and equality for all. Thoughtful, wide-ranging, compassionate, and profound, On Property makes an urgent plea for a new ethics of care.

That a man can lose his life for passing a fake $20 bill when we know...

EDITION Audiobook
PRICE
DURATION 3 Hours, 51 Minutes

NetGalley Shelf App (AUDIO)