Kamila Knows Best

Pub Date 08 Mar 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #KamilaKnowsBest #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Jane Austen's Emma goes Bollywoood in this delightful retelling from the highly acclaimed author of Accidentally Engaged, perfect for fans of Abby Jimenez and Jasmine Guillory.

Kamila Hussain’s life might not be perfect, but, whew, it’s close. She lives a life of comfort, filled with her elaborate Bollywood movie parties, a dog with more Instagram followers than most reality stars, a job she loves, and an endless array of friends who clearly need her help finding love. In fact, Kamila is so busy with her friends’ love lives, she’s hardly given any thought to her own . . .

Fortunately, Kamila has Rohan Nasser. A longtime friend of the family, he’s hugely successful, with the deliciously lean, firm body of a rock climber. Only lately, Kamila’s “harmless flirting” with Rohan is making her insides do a little bhangra dance.

But between planning the local shelter’s puppy prom, throwing a huge work event, and proving to everyone that she’s got it all figured out, Kamila isn’t letting herself get distracted—until her secret nemesis returns to town with an eye for Rohan. Suddenly, it seems like the more Kamila tries to plan, the more things are starting to unravel—and her perfectly ordered life is about to be turned upside down.

Kamila Hussain’s life...

A Note From the Publisher

About the author: After a childhood raised on Bollywood, Monty Python, and Jane Austen, Farah Heron wove complicated story arcs and uplifting happily ever afters in her daydreams while pursuing careers in human resources and psychology. She started writing those stories down a few years ago, and never looked back. She writes romantic comedies and women’s fiction full of huge South Asian families, delectable food, and most importantly, brown people falling stupidly in love. She lives in Toronto with her husband, two children, two cats, and a rabbit named Strawberry.

Marketing Plan

Please contact Estelle Hallick for media inquiries: estelle.hallick@hbgusa.com.

Please contact Estelle Hallick for media inquiries: estelle.hallick@hbgusa.com.

I ran into this book by accident. I was scrolling Twitter and ran into Farrah Heron’s tweet about her new book on NetGalley. When I realized this was a retelling of Jane Austen’s Emma, I knew I had to pick it up immediately. This book went beyond my expectations. We follow Kamila Hussain,, a well established, Toronto based accountant who honestly is pretty content with her life. She’s a great and devoted daughter and has an amazing group of friends. Plus, her dog is TikTok famous so she really doesn’t have much to complain about. Everything is perfect… Until her secret nemesis returns to the city and her perfect life starts to crumble bit by bit. Especially with Rohan Nasser, her life long successful (and quite frankly handsome) family friend whom which she has always relied on. Kamila, although vain at time, is such a warm and likable character. We see her struggle through her own demons and ultimately grow into a character I know people will love. She’s a feminist through and through and seeing how deeply she loves others was refreshing. Now don’t get me started on her chemistry with Rohan. From the first moment they interact we see these two character’s chemistry and I was immediately pulled into their romance. Although most would consider them opposites, upon clearer inspection we can see just how much they share values wise and therefore are such a great couple. This was a novel about family, forgiveness, growth, vanity, stereotypes and learning that people are never all they seem to be. Such a great novel that I know people who like romcoms will enjoy. Thank you so much to the publisher, Farah Heron and NetGalley for letting me read this ARC.

This book was so cute, it's every rom com lovers dream. The obvious pining from rohan, kamila not knowing she's in love. It was everything I've ever needed. Also the act three breakup and reunion was everything I wanted. It lined up with Rohan's fantasy and I loved that so much. I received an arc from netgalley.

Farah knocks it out of the park again! I loved Accidentally Engaged and I loved Kamila Knows Best just as much, if not more! What's not to love? - Bollywood goodness! - Friends to lovers! (my favorite!) - Slow burn! (YESS) - really fun dialogue! - Complex characters with heavier issues that Farah still manages to make feel light. It was wonderful! Can't wait to grab the paperback.

Heron is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. Kamila Knows Best is inspired by Jane Austen's Emma. The plot and character development are fantastic. There is a great blend of humor and romantic tension.

A new retelling of Jane Austen’s Emma with a splash of Bollywood? SIGN ME UP!! Kamila Hussain lives a nearly perfect life, from her weekly elaborate Bollywood movie parties, a dog that is instagram famous, a super fun job as a party planner that she loves, amazing friends, and a childhood friend who is always there for her. Kamila does have a favorite activity besides planning events... and that is matching her friends... despite not looking for a perfect match for herself. Lucky for her she has Rohan Nasser, longtime friend of the family who is not only kind, handsome, and perfection but someone who knows her. Rohan has always treated Kamila like she was just a friend but when Kamila starts feeling more... things start getting complicated. Especially when her longtime nemesis Jana, who is annoyingly perfect comes back into town and Rohan starts spending more time with Jana. Kamila’s life slowly starts to unravel and she finds herself having to question what she really wants in life and what she will do next. Complicated feelings, misunderstandings, and romance all in one. This was a wonderful retelling of Emma but with it’s own unique flavor. I loved getting to know Kamila and her struggles and seeing her grow. A sweet and fun story and perfect for fans of Jane Austen’s Emma! *Thanks Netgalley and Forever (Grand Central Publishing), Forever for sending me an arc in exchange for an honest review*

It's been a long time since a book had me literally screaming - it was like watching a horror movie and yelling "Don't go in there!" at the screen, but romance edition. Except of course, in the best way possible. Kamila is so vibrant and beautifully herself and juxtaposed so nicely by the seemingly uptight Rohan. Add in that Farah Heron writes about food and love in the same steamy way, and you'll have a book that leaves you hungry and... y'know. I didn't realize that this was an "Emma" retelling at first, but the parallels work so well here. We have amazing friendships, a friends to lovers story, and a metric ton of biryani. What else do you need? (Puppies, obviously) *Thank you to Forever and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for my honest review*

This novel was so much fun. Romantic, contemporary Emma reimaginjng that is brilliantly executed. Kamila is an endearing heroine. Overall a solid read that will appeal to a broad audience

Kamila knows how to throw the best Biryani and Bollywood parties, how to coordinate her fashion for herself and her adorable dog, how to write articles of incorporation and crunch numbers, and most importantly, she knows how to care for her aging father. But does Kamila know best for her dear friends like Maricel, an aspiring dog trainer, or Rohan, her long-time friend? Does Kamila know best for her self-declared nemesis Jana? Utilizing the framework of Jane Austen's Emma, Farah Heron has written a book I thoroughly enjoyed, and read in one sitting! Kamila does start out like Austen's Emma - a bit self-focused and a bit clueless that she might be meddling in others' lives instead of giving friendly advice. But just as Emma learns about herself, so does Kamila. I truly enjoyed the twists that Heron added to the story, and I absolutely ADORED all the puppies in the book - I wanted my own Potato puppy by the end! Though I knew the general direction the story would go in, I loved that Kamila learned how to know herself better, and by doing so, was able to give others even more respect. I thought the emotional abuse that she endured was handled very well, and I loved that Kamila had already been to therapy and was able to realize when she needed to go again. All in all a lovely read that left a smile on my face! My thanks to Forever and NetGalley for the advance copy!

Though following in the footsteps of Jane Austen’s Emma, Heron (Accidentally Engaged, 2021) presents a matchmaking heroine who is uniquely Indian Muslim Canadian. Heron’s sensitive insights infuse this romance with both immense charm and emotional depth.