Big Ship Rescue!

Pub Date 18 Jan 2022 | Archive Date 31 Dec 2021
W. W. Norton & Company, Norton Young Readers

Talking about this book? Use #BigShipRescue #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Chris Gall gives boat books a fresh coat of paint in a bright story of tugboats, tools, and teamwork.

Oh no! The Goliath has wrecked in a storm. First the crew has to be rescued, then the ship has to be made safe, refloated, and winched off the rocks. It’s a good thing Salvage Master Miley is on the scene with her tugboat, the Mighty Mackerel. It’s a tough job, but with the tug’s powerful engines, propellers, towlines, and winches, Miley and her salvage team have what it takes to bring Goliath back to port.

With lively storytelling, engaging artwork, and plenty of mechanical detail, acclaimed author/illustrator Chris Gall sails through a brave and stormy tale of nautical machinery and collaboration that’s just right for little engineers.

About the Author: Chris Gall is the award-winning author and illustrator of several children's books, including Big Rig Rescue! and Dinotrux, a Publisher's Weekly Best Children's Book of the year that inspired a Netflix original TV series.

EDITION Hardcover
ISBN 9781324019251

Send To Kindle (PDF)

This is so cool! I didn't know much about how ship rescue and salvage worked and this was an exciting, compelling story. Young kids are going to be fascinated by all the machines and big jobs. The illustrations really bring the story to life and have lots of fun little details as well. I LOVED that the Salvage Master was female and that it was completely incidental. It's so rare for girls to see themselves on the page in charge of rescue operations or engineering projects and they will definitely notice and be excited about it. It's just as important for the boys to see this normalized too. I can't wait to read this to my classes! Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review!

So much to love here! A female front and center, great art, respect for the environment, and a whole new topic- I knew nothing about ship rescue! Also a very heartwarming ending, Can't wait to show this one to my son. Thanks for the sneak peek!

A great book explaining how a big ship is rescued from a treacherous situation. I love that the salvage boat captain is a woman. Very great representation. If your kids love stuff with engines, this is a must read.