How to Fight Racism Young Reader's Edition

A Guide to Standing Up for Racial Justice

Pub Date 04 Jan 2022 | Archive Date 11 Jan 2022

Talking about this book? Use #HowtoFightRacismYoungReadersEdition #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Racism and social justice are important topics kids are dealing with today. In this adaptation of How to Fight Racism for young readers ages 8-12, Dr. Jemar Tisby helps kids understand how everyday prejudice affects them and what they can do to create social change. Inside, he explains the history of racism in America and why it is so prevalent, as well as uses Christian principles to provide practical tools and advice kids can use to develop and maintain an anti-racist mindset and make a positive difference in the world.

Racism is pervasive in today's world, and in the wake of protests and a call for change, many kids are eager to confront it but aren’t always sure how. Jemar Tisby, author of How to Fight Racism and The Color of Compromise, believes we need to move beyond mere discussions about racism and begin equipping young people with the practical tools to fight against it.

In How to Fight Racism Young Reader’s Edition, Dr. Tisby uses history to explore how racism has affected America since before its founding and how it’s continued to grow, as well as examines how true social justice is rooted in the Christian faith. In a format that provides kids with a handbook for pursuing racial justice, readers ages 8-12 will discover:

hands-on suggestions and real-world examples of change they can put into actionpractical ideas for confronting racism in their everyday lives, and how they can use Christian values to change the      narrative around racethe ARC of racial justice—Awareness, Connection, and Relationships—that help form an anti-racist mindsetways to evaluate their actions and promote biblical principles

Throughout, kids will learn how to ask questions of themselves and their communities as they stand up to racism in all its forms. This book is for anyone who believes it is time to courageously confront the racism we see in our society today.

How to Fight Racism Young Reader’s Edition:

Is ideal for any young person wanting to make a difference in today’s worldCan be used by families and church groups to start meaningful conversations with kidsIs written at a level kids in grades 4 through 6 and beyond can understand

Advance Praise

“In How to Fight Racism Young Readers Edition, Jemar Tisby provides a much-needed resource to help young people understand the injustice of racism, how to identify signs of racism, and how to practically fight against racism. This book will help you to discover how you can be the change you want to see in this world.”

—Christine Caine, founder A21 & Propel Women

How to Fight Racism Young Reader’s Edition is an honest but refreshing look at the ugly aspects of American history that have divided us, but it also gives us the themes that unite us. Dr. Tisby takes time to not only give history, he includes encouraging stories of those from the past who’ve bravely united us.”

—BJ Thompson, executive director of Build A Better Us

“In a world constantly asking us to choose ‘biblical principles’ over ‘wokeness,’ How to Fight Racism Young Reader’s Edition reminds us the very measure of faith in action is how it responds to the word’s injustices. This book offers language, tools, framing, and important historical perspective not often taught in schools. It is a must read for today’s students and tomorrow’s leaders.”

—Nelba Marquez-Green, licensed marriage and family therapist and founder of This Grieving Life and the Ana Grace Project

“Jemar Tisby has created essential reading for any young person asking, ‘Yeah, but what can I do?’ In a compelling way, he invites us around his table—a table big enough for all of our questions, curiosities, and fears—and guides us with vivid storytelling and practical steps. As a parent, I’m thrilled for this resource in the continual work of bending our universe toward understanding, equity, and justice.”

—Bethany Anne Lind, actor in Ozark, Doom Patrol, Reprisal, and Stranger Things

“Our children need to learn the truth about the history of race in America. This powerful book will inspire young minds to pursue compassion, knowledge, and the necessary work of racial justice in their lives of faith.”

—Kate Bowler, Duke professor and New York Times bestselling author of Everything Happens for a Reason (and Other Lies I’ve Loved) and Blessed: A History of the American Prosperity Gospel

Marketing Plan

This book addresses racism, an important and timely topic

Offers readers thoughtful, practical suggestions to apply

Debut children’s book from a New York Times bestselling author who’s a respected expert on the topic

Author Jemar Tisby runs The Witness Inc., an organization training the next generation of Black Christian leaders

Jemar Tisby is the cohost of the popular podcast, Pass the Mic