Our Wives Under the Sea

Pub Date 12 Jul 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Fathomlessly inventive and original, Julia Armfield’s Our Wives Under the Sea is a portrait of marriage as we’ve never seen it before.

“A wonderful novel, deeply romantic and fabulously strange. I loved this book.” —Sarah Waters

“Without a doubt, one of the best books I've ever read. It's not only art, it's a perfect miracle. We are lucky for it.” —Kristen Arnett

Leah is changed. A marine biologist, she left for a routine expedition months earlier, only this time her submarine sank to the sea floor. When she finally surfaces and returns home, her wife Miri knows that something is wrong. Barely eating and lost in her thoughts, Leah rotates between rooms in their apartment, running the taps morning and night. Whatever happened in that vessel, whatever it was they were supposed to be studying before they were stranded, Leah has carried part of it with her, onto dry land and into their home. As Miri searches for answers, desperate to understand what happened below the water, she must face the possibility that the woman she loves is slipping from her grasp.

By turns elegiac and furious, wry and heartbreaking, Our Wives Under the Sea is an exploration of the unknowable depths within each of us, and the love that compels us nevertheless toward one another.

“A wonderful novel, deeply romantic and fabulously strange. I...