We, Jane

Narrated by Rhiannon Morgan

Pub Date 05 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 01 Nov 2021

Talking about this book? Use #WeJane #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Longlisted for the 2021 Scotiabank Giller Prize

A remarkable debut about intergenerational female relationships and resistance found in the unlikeliest of places, We, Jane explores the precarity of rural existence and the essential nature of abortion.

Searching for meaning in her Montreal life, Marthe begins an intense friendship with an older woman, also from Newfoundland, who tells her a story about purpose, about a duty to fulfill. It’s back home, and it goes by the name of Jane.

Marthe travels back to a small community on the island with the older woman to continue the work of an underground movement in 60s Chicago: abortion services performed by women, always referred to as Jane. She commits to learning how to continue this legacy and protect such essential knowledge. But the nobility of her task and the reality of small-town life compete, and personal fractures within their group begin to grow.

We, Jane probes the importance of care work by women for women, underscores the complexity of relationships in close circles, and beautifully captures the inevitable heartache of understanding home.

Longlisted for the 2021 Scotiabank Giller Prize

EDITION Audiobook
PRICE
DURATION 5 Hours, 32 Minutes

NetGalley Shelf App (AUDIO)