Reign of the Devourer

A Marvel Untold Novel

Pub Date 18 Jan 2022 | Archive Date 17 Dec 2021

Talking about this book? Use #ReignoftheDevourerAconyteBooksMarvel #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The notorious Doctor Doom’s endless craving for power unleashes a soul-destroying plague on the world, in the latest devastating Marvel Untold novel

Victor von Doom saw his future for an instant, and...

A Note From the Publisher

DAVID ANNANDALE is a lecturer at a Canadian university on subjects ranging from English literature to horror films and video games. He is the author of many novels in the New York Times-bestselling Horus Heresy and Warhammer 40,000 universe, and a co-host of the Hugo Award-nominated podcast Skiffy and Fanty.

Advance Praise

“I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I felt like I was reading a very in-depth script to a Marvel movie I would enjoy seeing.” - Nerds and Beyond

“A great novel about Doctor Doom influenced by strong comic lore knowledge, Gothic and Romance literature, horror cinema, and fantasy. It gets a wholehearted recommendation from me.” - The Doom Archives

– From the author of the acclaimed Dr Doom adventure, The Harrowing of Doom, published Fall 2020.

– Doctor Doom is a Marvel fan-favorite supervillain, featured in countless comic series since 1962.

– Author David Annandale has proved himself a master of morally ambiguous characters in bestselling novels from the Warhammer 40,000 and Legend of the Five Rings universes.

“A great novel about Doctor Doom influenced by strong...

Marketing Plan

• ½ page adverts in EDGE magazine during publication month

• Facebook Live interview w/ author on publication

• Co-Op with Ingram

• Amazon Ads for related searches

• Aconyte Extra with free chapter samplers, high-res covers etc.

• Social media promo & giveaways w/ influencers

• Season announcement Sept 21

• Cover Reveal Oct 21 w/ Track of words

• eARCs w/ NetGalley 3 months out

• Cross-promo w/ Marvel.com

• ½ page adverts in EDGE magazine during publication month

•...

My thanks to Netgalley and the publisher Aconytne Books for an advanced copy of this Marvel universe novel. Aconytne Books has a really good track record of novelizations based on popular games and its series of Marvel based adventures featuring popular and lesser known characters in adventures between or around the adventures as detailed in the comics. This is the second book to feature Doctor Doom, bane of the Fantastic Four, leader of the country of Latveria, and star of one of the best adventures I have read featuring him in quite a long time, David Annandale's Reign of the Devourer: A Marvel Untold Novel. Mr. Annandale's portrayal of the supervillain, scientist, magician, political leader, megalomaniac is like I said one of the best uses of his character in years. This is Doom as a leader a man who asks much, but gives much, to his people, to his supposed allies, even his enemies, though his respect is usually a quick death. Doom plans for the worst, because he has seen the worst, and well he is Doom. That comes up a lot, not in a bragging sense, but more in a way that this is how Doom deals with problems or doubts, inner monologues on how he is Doom, and Doom is inevitable. A thousand Latverians dead, or turned to undead zombie like creatures, Doom has not time to worry or debate, act now and act again later if it goes wrong. Which it won't because, well he is Doom. The supporting cast is far deeper and more interesting than a reader might expect, considering that Doom should be the character to get all the time. They are all well drawn and interesting, worthy of stories to be written about them if Doom has to fight Galactus or another Secret Wars, Latveria would be in good hands with these characters. A female surgeon, whose family in the past was involved with some dark medical experiments, and her wife who happens to be Doom's chief of security. An addition their is ex-priest who happens to be a geomancer, and a little bit the cause of this whole conflict, and a bad guy who makes Doctor Doom look reasonable, and more popular. A very exciting story that really deserves a miniseries on Disney. It's very dark, full of magic and horror, and you find yourself rooting for the bad guys over the worse guys. A very fun exciting series that I can't wait to read more of. And more books by Mr. Annandale especially. A very good writer that I will have to look more for. I will end this with one of my favorite phrases from the book, as it really is a great line to read: Exceptional Posthumous Loyalty and Service. Why this is a medal in Latveria is worthy of a miniseries in itself.

Victor von Doom saw his future for an instant, and now he cannot rest. His obsession with regaining those memories leads him into the arcane science of geomancy. As he delves into the ancient memories that lie beneath his land, Doom discovers a tremendous concentration of power... one that should never be explored. Doom's excavations and necromancy fracture the prison of something awful: the Devourer of Souls. Now free to roam Latveria, the Devourer spreads a plague of soul-hungry vampires. Doom must choose between seizing this power for himself or destroying it, before his realm is no more. Coming in January of 2022 is the latest in the series of Marvel Untold novels. I was given the opportunity to review an early galley for Reign of the Devourer, written by David Annandale. This novel is a sequel to Annandale's The Harrowing of Doom which came out in early 2021. While the rest of the Marvel world views him as a villain, to the people of Latveria he is a "hero". And when his kingdom and subjects are treatened by a powerful, evil entity, he rises to the challenge as a protector. This is why Doom is one of my favorite Marvel villains - because he is so complex. Once again, the reader is treated to a wonderful portrayal of Doctor Doom; Annandale captures those multifacets perfectly. When Doom is advising those around him to push further, to challenge their own limits, he shows the redeemable qualities of his personality. I would very much recommend this novel, especially if you enjoyed the first novel in this series. About Marvel Entertainment Marvel Entertainment, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is one of the world’s most prominent character-based entertainment companies, built on a proven library of more than 8,000 characters featured in a variety of media for over eighty years. Marvel utilizes its character franchises in entertainment, licensing, publishing, games, and digital media. For more information visit marvel.com. © 2020 MARVEL