When the Sakura Bloom

Pub Date 01 Feb 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #WhentheSakuraBloom #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Why do the Japanese make such a fuss over cherry blossom season? Sure, they’re beautiful, but is there something deeper that the rest of us are missing?

When the Sakura Bloom by Nariso Togo sheds light on the cultural significance of cherry blossom season in Japan, and an insight into the unique mindset of its people. Through subtle text and gentle imagery readers will see the importance of slowing down to appreciate the moment. That comfort, not despair, can be found in the inevitable cycles of the seasons. How change can usher in opportunities and rejuvenation.

Moreover, When the Sakura Bloom is an understated illustration of the importance of celebrating the fleeting, delicate beauty of nature; and the metaphor this represents for life itself.

When the Sakura Bloom by Nariso Togo sheds...

EDITION Hardcover

Send To Kindle (PDF)

This is a sweet book about people slowing down to appreciate nature and life when the cherry blossoms bloom (and after). It gives a lovely look at the Japanese cherry blossom festival/season and also some great lessons. This would be great to accompany a unit on Japan, spring, nature or just spark discussion on mindfulness and paying attention to the beauty around us. I read a temporary digital ARC of this book via Net Galley.

When the Sakura Bloom by Narisa Togo is the beautiful story of how the iconic cherry blossoms of Japan are symbolic of the ebbs and flows of daily life, and the way in which change can be embraced as an elemental facet of nature. The book is gorgeously illustrated in the stunning palette of the sakura blossoms, and is a visual feast from beginning to end. Many thanks to NetGalley and Publisher Spotlight for an ARC.

When the Sakura Bloom is a wonderful picture book with beautiful sakura (cherry blossom) illustrations. The text is brief but reminds readers to pause and take in nature's ephemeral beauty. This book could be used in the classroom for units or lessons on: - plant life cycles - Japanese culture - festivals/celebrations - mindfulness/being present

This is an exquisite book in both illustrations and verse. Any parent will enjoy reading this to a child and the illustrations contain small details for a child to excitedly notice. It's a lovely explanation of sakura in Japan and I love that the author showed how people of all ages appreciate these blooms and how they are celebrated. I used to live in Japan and this is just how I remember it being. It brought back very wonderful memories for me. Thank you to NetGalley for a chance to read and review this book. It would make a wonderful addition to any family's library.