The Lies I Tell

A Novel

Pub Date 21 Jun 2022 | Archive Date 21 Jul 2022
SOURCEBOOKS Landmark, Sourcebooks Landmark

Talking about this book? Use #theliesitell #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

“Julie Clark has done it again…taking you straight into the collision course of two dynamic, complicated women.” –LAURA DAVE, #1 New York Times bestselling author

From the instant New York Times bestselling author of The Last Flight

She's back.

The Lies I Tell is a twisted domestic thriller that dives deep into the psyches and motivations of two women and their unwavering quest to seek justice for the past and rewrite the future.

From the instant New York Times...

Advance Praise

“Julie Clark has done it again! In her latest riveting domestic thriller, Clark takes you straight into the collision course of two dynamic, complicated women—who will go to any length to fix their past and find their way to a different future. The Lies I Tell is a winner!”—Laura Dave, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Last Thing He Told Me

The Lies I Tell is a uniquely riveting cat and mouse game with two artfully nuanced female protagonists that is at once a razor-sharp, page-turning mystery and a brilliant, thought-provoking exploration of what it truly means to do good in the world.”—Kimberly McCreight, New York Times bestselling author of Friends like These

EDITION Hardcover

Send To Kindle (PDF)

QUICK TAKE: I might have enjoyed this book more than Clark's previous book, THE LAST FLIGHT (which is an excellent thriller, btw). I really enjoyed the cat-and-mouse dynamic between the two female characters at the center, and thought this was a fun, twisty, soapy suspense story about women taking down very bad, no good men. If i had any issues, I wish there were some higher stakes as at no point was I concerned Meg wasn't going to pull off her plan, but it's a small quibble. Highly recommend!

Publication date: June 21, 2022 Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review an advanced reader's copy of this book. This in no way affects my review, all opinions are my own. She's back. Meg Williams. Maggie Littleton. Melody Wilde. Different names for the same person, depending on the town, depending on the job. She's a con artist who erases herself to become whoever you need her to be—a college student. A life coach. A real estate agent. Nothing about her is real. She slides alongside you and tells you exactly what you need to hear, and by the time she's done, you've likely lost everything. Kat Roberts has been waiting ten years for the woman who upended her life to return. And now that she has, Kat is determined to be the one to expose her. But as the two women grow closer, Kat's long-held assumptions begin to crumble, leaving Kat to wonder who Meg's true target is. What a wonderfully twisty book that will keep you enthralled for hours. The story is expertly crafted to the point where you may find yourself holding your breath and the characters (and her aliases) were deftly created...I just wish that you could read it now instead of waiting seven months to read it. Take this book to the beach (or your back yard, porch or balcony) and enjoy it - just wear a tonne of SPF110 as you will lose track of time as you read this. - If we are in the 5th or 6th wave/mutation of COVID19 by then, stay inside: no tan is worth dying for. #maddogsandenglishmen As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant/never-ending/constant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. ") on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🏖️🏖️🏖️🏖️🏖️

Oh, this is sooo good. The story revolves around two women, becoming “friends” each with an ulterior motive. One a con artist, the other, the reporter planning to expose the big con. The characters are so subtly drawn and nuanced that the reader is empathetic to both. I found myself totally engrossed in their stories. Meg and Kat are both fascinating characters. A subplot revolves around Kat’s fiancée, a compulsive gambler. I loved the character of the mark, with the reasoning selecting him becomes clear. Gradually, the reader’s sympathy is skewed in unexpected ways. For those of us who loved her first novel, this one is even better! Don’t miss it and put it on your book club summer reading list. I think this is Avery satisfying book which is about not only the obvious, but also about women’s issues and empowerment. Thank you Netgalley, loved this book.