Critical Hope

How to Grapple With Complexity, Lead with Purpose, and Cultivate Transformative Social Change

Pub Date 03 May 2022 | Archive Date 03 May 2022

Talking about this book? Use #CriticalHope #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Hope isn’t something you have--it’s something you do. Here, the 7 principles for practicing critical hope as a radical, subversive act.

Hope is transformational--but in moments of despair, or when you’re up against profound injustice, it isn’t enough on its own. Hope without action is, at best, naive. At its worst, it tricks you into giving up the power and agency you have to change systems that cause suffering.

Enter critical hope: a spark of passion, an abiding belief that transformation is not just possible, but vital. This is hope in action: a vibrant, engaged practice and commitment to honoring transformative potential across a vast spectrum of experience.

Here, Dr. Kari Grain, PhD, introduces critical hope: what it is, how it works, and why we each need it if we’re to be a conduit of change in an unjust world. Inspired by her global research, teaching experiences, and education curriculum taught at the University of British Columbia, Grain argues that to cultivate critical hope (and combat despair), you need to show up with your whole self, in all its messy, passionate, vibrant complexity.

Grain introduces 7 principles for practicing critical hope, including:

• Hope is necessary, but hope alone is not enough

• Critical hope requires an education in difficult knowledge and social justice

• Hopelessness is not a failure of the individual

• The job of a leader is to “unveil opportunities for hope - no matter what the obstacles may be”

Critical Hope interweaves the narratives of activists, leaders, survivors, and educators with vulnerable personal reflections and interdisciplinary research from education, neuroscience, and feminism. It’s a timely exploration, a call to action, an ignition of hope and humility for anyone working to build a better world for us all.

Hope is transformational--but in moments of despair, or when...

Advance Praise

“In an age when we so often feel overwhelmed by the enormity of trauma in our communities and our world, Dr. Grain’s book couldn’t be more relevant and applicable. It is a compendium on hope in a way you’ve never seen before, and mixes academia with real, raw, and honest storytelling. It cannot be missed.”

—CANDACE SALMON, lawyer and cofounder of Reflections on Rwanda

“It is rare that one reads a book where the writer is so open and honest. One cannot help but admire the courage with which Kari Grain has dealt with the adversities she encountered in her life. On a larger scale, Grain shows an acute awareness of the challenging problems facing the world right now and the renewed strength and skills that will be essential to deal with these difficulties now and in the future. Emily Dickinson wrote that hope is that thing with feathers. In her book, Kari Grain makes hope fly.”

—PINCHAS GUTTER, Holocaust survivor and author of Memories in Focus

“I wish I had written this book. I have lived with the concept of critical hope without ever having had a name for it. This book told me something that I needed to know. Everyone should read it.”

—DR. DOUGLAS COURTEMANCHE, MD

“This is a beautiful book with a powerful takeaway: the critical part of hope is seeded and nurtured by discomfort and humility. Grain’s deep connection to teaching helps us see how we can enter hopeful space with others. For me, the stories that Grain relays of friends, acquaintances, and co-workers navigating critical hope were icing on the cake—it’s Grain’s own experience as an educator and a seeker, guided by justice, that really catches us up and shows us the way.”

—TRISTIN K. GREEN, professor of law at the University of San Francisco and author of Discrimination Laundering

“In an age when we so often feel overwhelmed by the enormity of trauma in our communities and our world, Dr. Grain’s book couldn’t be more relevant and applicable. It is a compendium on hope in a way...

Marketing Plan