Outback Nevada

Real Stories from the Silver State

Pub Date 15 Mar 2022 | Archive Date 15 Feb 2022

Talking about this book? Use #OutbackNevada #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Join author John M. Glionna on a journey to discover the real Nevada, a place inhabited by diverse, spirited, and sometimes quirky people who make up the fabric of the Silver State. Outback Nevada explores the far-flung corners of the seventh-largest state in the nation and introduces its readers to the humanity, courage, strength, and charm of these little-known Americans. Each story is part of the vast collection of published articles  Glionna has written during his decades of work as a journalist for theLos Angeles Times and the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Glionna’s interest in Nevada’s rugged, isolated landscape and the people who choose to live in this often-harsh environment was born of his own wanderings into the “outback.” Through his stories, he shares intimate portraits of rural and small-town lifestyles not many understand. Readers will meet men with names like Flash and Mr. Cool; will listen to a cowboy minister preach the word of God to his parishioners; will walk with an antiques dealer from Genoa as he hunts for denim in Nevada’s abandonednineteenth-century mine shafts; and will learn from an ex-paramedic–turned–coffee-shop–owner who provides Boulder City with a true sense of community. Full of humor, eccentricities, and compassion, these stories reveal the state’s true nature and extend an invitation to get lost “somewhere out there” in the real Nevada.

Join author John M. Glionna on a journey to discover the real Nevada, a place inhabited by diverse, spirited, and sometimes quirky people who make up the fabric of the Silver State. Outback Nevada...

Advance Praise

“This collection is a vivid tapestry of human stories, representing twenty-firstcentury rural life in a state known for its eccentricity. . .the essays collected here are masterful glimpses into the realities of the region’s diverse residents. . . . the author presents them with precise details, enthusiasm, and a sense of humor.”

Scott Slovic, University Distinguished Professor of Environmental Humanities, University of Idaho and author of Going Away to Think: Engagement, Retreat, and Ecocritical Responsibility

I dare you to stop reading a John Glionna story. I know I couldn’t. Every time I hop on board a Glionna story I know I am in for a smart, informative and highly entertaining ride. It’s impossible not to take the journey to the end. His work is a real treat!"

Michael Connelly, New York Times best-selling author of crime fiction

“This collection is a vivid tapestry of human stories, representing twenty-firstcentury rural life in a state known for its eccentricity. . .the essays collected here are masterful glimpses into the...

Marketing Plan

• National publicity

• Email marketing

• Social media...

Send To Kindle (PDF)

As someone who has visited Nevada twice from the UK for road trips to experience small towns, desert and places of historical interest, I was glad to have received a digital copy of this book to review. The author’s offerings of accounts of various people living in Nevada, and their history as well as the history of the state, are rich, diverse and interesting. My thanks to NetGalley, publisher and author for providing me with a copy. I enjoyed reading it.