No Place to Run

Pub Date 21 Jun 2022 | Archive Date 05 Jul 2022
Amazon Publishing UK, Thomas & Mercer

Talking about this book? Use #NoPlacetoRun #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In this exhilarating thriller from four million copy bestselling author Mark Edwards, Aidan’s spent years looking for his sister. Will he ever find her?

Two years ago, on a trip to Seattle to visit her brother Aidan, fifteen-year-old Scarlett vanished into thin air. After years of false leads and dead ends, Aidan has almost given up hope. But then a woman sees a girl running for her life across a forest clearing in Northern California. She is convinced the girl is the missing Scarlett. But could it really be her?

Heading south, Aidan finds a fire-ravaged town covered in missing-teenager posters. The locals seem afraid, the police won’t answer any questions and it looks like another dead end—until a chance meeting with returned local Lana gives Aidan his first clue. But as they piece together what happened, Lana and Aidan make deadly enemies. Enemies willing to do anything to silence them.

Only one thing matters now: finding Scarlett—even if it kills him.

Two years ago, on a trip to Seattle to visit...

A Note From the Publisher

Mark Edwards writes psychological thrillers in which scary things happen to ordinary people.

He has sold 4 million books since his first novel, The Magpies, was published in 2013, and has topped the bestseller lists numerous times. His other novels include Follow You Home, The Retreat, In Her Shadow, Because She Loves Me, The Hollows and Here to Stay. He has also co-authored six books with Louise Voss.

Originally from Hastings in East Sussex, Mark now lives in Wolverhampton with his wife, their children and two cats.

Mark loves hearing from readers and can be contacted through his website, www.markedwardsauthor.com, or you can find him on Facebook (@markedwardsauthor), Twitter (@mredwards) and Instagram (@markedwardsauthor).

Advance Praise

“Like a Reacher, but with a hero like the rest of us.” —Linwood Barclay, bestselling author of Take Your Breath Away

“A tense, nail-biting read.” —Steph Broadribb, author of Death in the Sunshine

“Another intriguing, exhilarating, and compulsive read from the master of psychological suspense. Mark Edwards just keeps getting better and better.” —Emma Haughton, author of The Dark

“This is a belter of a story. A big screen high tension adventure.” —William Shaw, author of The Trawlerman

“A tense, nail-biting read.” —Steph Broadribb, author of Death in the Sunshine

...

ISBN 9781542027908

Send to Kindle (MOBI)

Thanks Net Galley for this arc.
I really, really, really enjoyed this. I always think the first chapter of any book is incredibly important, to grab your attention and hold it, I especially love first chapters in an elderly persons POV I always think it’s such a good way to start and I’m intrigued then, I need to know more. Well I was definitely hooked from the get go with this book.

Francesca is travelling on a long distance train after depositing her husbands ashes, she cannot sleep and goes to sit by the window to see the sunrise, the train goes past a clearing and she sees a young girl running with a man chasing her. I’m hooked, reel your line back in because I’m a goner. The young girl had gone missing two years previous and her older brother Aiden now goes to the area to try and find any information and to find his sister. No one seems to want to help him, the police are all hush hush. Then Aiden meets Lana, the locals think she’s nuts with conspiracy theory’s, her brother died the previous year in a freak accident that she just doesn’t believe. And everything just goes tits up from there with them trying to find out what’s going on.

There’s dual POV with the chapter changes going between Aiden trying to find his sister and The Farm views. It’s mysterious, it’s gripping. There’s twists that are just crazy. It’s so jam packed and when I read the last chapter I was like oh shit. I need more, I want more, is there going to be a second book? I hope so!

This book had so much potential but it fell flat. In the beginning it was thrilling and had me on the edge of my seat. However, a few chapters and a couple of plot twists later, I did not like the direction it took.

Francesca, an elderly woman on a train sees a woman running into a clearing in the woods. A man is running behind her. Francesca and the woman lock eyes. Francesca doesn’t forget a face and believes that she has seen that girls face somewhere before. She scours the internet and finds the girl on a missing persons website. Francesca decides to write an e-mail saying she believes she has spotted the missing girl.

Aiden Faith has been on a guilt driven quest to find his sister Scarlet who has been missing for two years. When he receives Francesca’s tip, he decides he needs to check it out. So begins a crazy series of events culminating into a lackluster ending. Will he find his sister?

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this arc in exchange for my honest review.

Yes, yes, yes! I was doing my happy dance at work when I saw that No Place to Run was available to read for free! Mark Edwards is one of my favorite go-to authors of creepy, scary, give me the heebie jeebies, sleep with my lights on, psychological thrillers! His talent for horror is insane!!

While this book was engaging and had me tense at times, I did not experience the usual creepiness that comes with reading Edwards' novels. I would classify this book as more of a "wild goose chase" mystery than a thriller. This was mildly disappointing, as I crave the psychological, mind blown, WTF? moments and "hiding under my blankets" fear that Edwards' writing so excellently instills in his readers. I want to be really scared!!! Unfortunately, I didn't feel that here.

I still really enjoyed this story and finished in a day. It was just different than his usual books.
He is a brilliant writer and I am a HUGE fan!! I've read all of his books and will continue to do so....waiting very impatiently for the next one to come out. On an end note, I feel like Mark Edwards is an underdog in this genre and deserves more recognition. I highly recommend you start reading his books if you haven't already done so. For fans of true horror where the monsters are REAL, you do not want to take a pass on Mark Edwards! Trust me!

Special thanks to NetGalley, Amazon Publishing UK and Mark Edwards for allowing me free access to this digital ARC!

another brilliant book by Mark Edwards. I was hooked from the first page. Aiden is a brilliant character that is really relatable. The story line was full of lots of twists and turns and over all well thought out. I really like the setting I felt like it added the right amount of eerieness to the story. some scenes added the extra thrill without drawing away from the story. the ending was pretty open fingers crossed for a second book

This wasn’t in the typical style of this author. I was expecting a lot more than it delivered. It started off really well but then it hit a plateau and struggled to hold my attention.

An entertaining read,that really delivers the tension home.
It went from feeling like a teen romance,to feeling like an action film in the blink of an eye.
Full of twists,right to the very end.
An enjoyable way to spend a few hours.

I'm a huge fan of Mark Edwards' books but unfortunately, this one fell a little flat for me!

I did really enjoy it but I felt like it was more of a mystery style book than his usual thrillers that keep you on the edge of your seat from start to finish.

A lot of strong characters and I liked the different POV's but I just thought it was missing something.

I really enjoyed this book from the beginning to the end. It was a very different type of story than any other Mark Edwards book that I have read. It had action, drama and suspense all rolled into one. It was a hit Netflix movie just waiting to be made. What started out as a missing person plot line twists and turns into so much more and it was crazy! The ending blew my mind!

This is a very good book. The pacing was great, the characters realistic and the storyline was interesting. I absolutely love Mark Edwards' writing style, it's so easy to read whilst also being atmospheric and really drawing you into the plot.

My main issue is that this the third book by the author I have read where the plot is a man trying to find a missing woman who is in some sort of a cult. There are variances of course but the general gist is the same and it leaves me wondering how many times the same plot can be recycled.

Having said that I still really enjoyed this one as it held its own surprises and was very well written.

I was really looking forward to this book - I love Mark Edwards and have read all of his books. Unfortunately, I can't say this is one of my favorites. He's such a great writer and this one drew me in right away, but it just ended up a little flat. It begins with a woman names Francesca traveling on a train on the west coast of the US. A few hours into her journey, she happens to catch sight of a young woman running through a clearing. Not just running, but being chased by a man. The strangest part? Francesca recognizes her - her name is Scarlett and she went missing a few years back from Seattle. She has no doubt that this was the same young woman, her photo was everywhere in the media for months and her flaming red hair was unmistakable.

She contacts a website run by the missing girl's brother, Aidan, and the story shifts to his point of view. She disappeared when she came to stay with him two years ago at his apartment, on vacation from her home in the UK. Even though he knows this could be yet another false sighting of Scarlett, he feels he can't NOT make the trip down to where she was spotted. He'd never forgive himself if he missed out on the chance to find her. He takes the same train trip as Francesca so that he could find the exact clearing and head to the nearest town. Upon arrival, he doesn't have much hope for success, the townspeople are cold and aloof and the local police aren't much better. They humor him by visiting the clearing but tell him there's nothing there to be found, and therefore, nothing else they can do. But when he meets Lana, who also had a sibling disappear, he feels confident that together they can't be ignored.

He doesn't realize that the locals are tired of her ranting about conspiracies and coverups, and they have long since stopped listening to her. Her brother Samuel was declared dead in a wildfire the year before, even though his body was never found, only his cell phone. She swears he would never have gone near the fires and that the mayor and the police are lying about his death. Samuel was dating the mayor's daughter and was last seen at their estate - thus her belief in the mayor's involvement. Along with running the town, he also runs a large construction company and the local water bottling plant. With his influence and power, Lana believes he could make anyone disappear. She convinces Aiden that they need to investigate how deep the corruption is before they become the next ones to vanish.

Along with Aiden's narrative, we also see from another perspective that's tied to the mystery, but it's hard to say much without giving part of the plot away. It's that part of the story that left me with a 'that's what this is all about?' feeling of disappointment. It's believable, and relevant to current events in the world I suppose, but it's just not what I was expecting. The author is capable of so much more, and his stories tend to be creepier and spookier than this was. You realize early on who the evildoers are, if not why they are doing it and to what extent. It's a perfectly good story, just not what I was expecting from this incredible author.

Aidan's sister Scarlett visited him 2 years ago in Seattle, and suddenly vanished... Aidan has almost given up hope of ever finding her, but then a woman sees someone who looks like Scarlett running through a forest and Aidan knows he must try to find out what happened to his sister. Was she kidnapped? Is she still alive? Are the locals hiding something, and why?

I'm a huge fan of Mark Edwards and his latest book does not disappoint. It is thrilling, tense and creepy and I just loved it! I loved the characters, especially Aidan and his new friend Lana, and I couldn't stop reading until I reached the brilliant ending. Recommended!

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advance copy of the book in return for my honest feedback.

Fifteen year old Scarlett disappears into thin air while on a trip to see her brother Aidan in Seattle.
A woman sees a girl running for her life in a forest in Northern California,she is sure the girl is Scarlett.
Aidan heads South to find out for himself,he arrives to find a town covered in missing persons posters.
The locals are afraid and the sheriff won't talk,so it seems like a dead end.
Adian meets a local woman called Lana and while working together to find out what happened they both make enemies that will do anything to protect the truth about what really happens in the forest.
Very gripping and twisty and the ending was amazing.
Just what I've come to expect from Mark Edwards.
Thanks to Netgalley and Amazon Publishing for the ARC.

Amazing! Hooked from start to finish.
this was a breath of fresh air compared to marks previous novels and I loved it. completely different and unique.
there were twists EVERY chapter, I can't believe how much was packed into this novel and it still flowed so well.
there's a couple reasons I haven't given this book 5 Stars, the first being there was certain parts I just felt uncomfortable reading (personal opinion, just not for me) and secondly I WISH a certain part was different. Can't say without spoiling but I just wanted it to be different 😂.
All in all, great book, definitely recommend to all thriller fans who want a gripping, unique book!

Wow! Crazy story! But good! This book was a little different, the storyline had suspense, action, intrigue, and a bunch of end of days conspiracy people! I could definitely see this happening though! The characters were interesting and the storyline flowed nicely! I definitely recommend reading this book! Its well worth reading! Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for sharing this book with me!

Aidan is looking for his sister who has been missing for two years. He receives a lead from a woman on a train which brings him to a small town in California. In California, he discovers corruption he believes is connected to his missing sister.

This book was definitely well thought out with lots of intricacies that are all connected to each other. You get a lot of different perspectives, which allows the reader to know some things before Aidan learns about them.

This isn’t the usual thriller I go for but it was interesting and held my attention. It was mildly predictable but there was at least one twist I didn’t expect.

Thank you NetGalley for this ARC.
Wow!!! This book was an amazing read and had plenty of turns and twists that I didnt expect.
It kept me hooked from the first page and found the setting and characters set out and described really well without dragging on or becoming boring.

The ending was left open so I am really hoping for book 2!!

Aidan is a British man living in Seattle who has his younger sister Scarlett over to visit. She's 15 and causing trouble at home so comes out to spend some time with her brother but during the trip she disappears. Years later, a woman on a train catches sight of Scarlett in the woods and they have an idea of where to search for her. I found this book was trying a little too hard to be clever and some of the twists just got a bit confusing and too unbelievable.

Francesca captured my attention in the prologue immediately. As usual, Edward’s attention to detail made me see the setting, as though I were familiar with the area. As soon as the story truly started, the characters became real. I became invested completely in the story. I want to know what happened to Samuel and Scarlett. I need to know what Shannon is planning. I love the foreshadowing. Though the words are distinctly British in most of the tale, the connotations are transcendent. The ecological theme and the dichotomy of progress and waste was ever present. No spoilers… well worth the read!!

No Place to Run by Mark Edwards

Mark Edwards is a really good author , and I like the fact that he doesn't keep to the same area when he sets the plot. This one is in Seattle and Northern California.
We meet Aidan who is searching for his 15 years old sister Scarlett who was seen running into a forest , then disappearing . He meets a woman who helps him in his search.
I was quite invested in finding out Scarletts plight , and enjoyed the suspense , and twists and turns.

Thanks to netgalley for letting me review this for an honest review.. i have loved all of mark Edward's books, this however didnt quite grab my attention like all his others
Aidens sister scarlett is missing., After a lady passing through the countryside on a train recognises her being chased towards the tracks.,He travels to america to try and find her and meets with a woman called lana who is looking for her brother samuel,.The town is hiding a BIG secret and everything is pointing to a cult ...... can aiden find scarlet, and can lana be reunited with samuel???? Worth a read

Thank you NetGalley for the ARC copy.

The book starts with a very strong prologue. An elderly woman on a train sees a woman being chased through her window and recognizes her as a girl who has been missing since the past two years. From there I was intrigued by the book.

The brother of the girl, even though a little skeptical, goes to the place the elderly woman described and tries to find out the answers, but gets pulled into a series of events he never expected.

The plot line was good, but the middle part of the book should have a been a little better. But I loved the author's writing style. This was his third book that I've read and I'm definitely going to read more from him.

Mark, you’ve done it again! From the very beginning, I was fully immersed into this book. Lately, I’ve been reading books that only start picking up and getting good at 60% into the story. Not a Mark Edwards book! & this book was no exception. I really think I had such a hard time putting this one down for that very reason. There were no boring breaks in the book. It felt like every page was dripping with a new thrill and was packed with action.

The concept of No Place to Run is refreshingly new. I haven’t read a similar premise. The concept is scary, because there are actually people on both ends of the spectrum. People who don’t believe in Global Warming and people who will do absolutely anything to combat it, including illegal actions. There wasn’t a whole lot of mystery, the who and why were very apparent from early on. But in true Mark Edwards fashion, the writing makes you want more until you finally get to the “what”. I loved how the one mystery of where Scarlett is wasn’t reviled until the end of the book.

I loved how No Place to Run ended as well. It was satisfying yet left some room for a bit of wonder. This one was different from the norm. No creepiness or spookiness involved, which I have loved from Mark Edward’s books, but definitely worth the read! Such a great book. Run, don’t walk to buy this one!

I do love reading Mark Edwards books - this was so different from the other books that I have read but that is not a bad thing.

I was hooked from the moment I started reading and stayed up late to finish. I really wanted to see how it ended. There were some things that didn't make sense but I just went with the flow, as they were necessary for the plot.

Although taken to the extremes it is plausible.

I was given an advance copy by the publishers and netgalley but the review is entirely my own.

Thanks NetGalley, Amazon Publishing and Mark Edwards for an ARC to review.
As usual Mark Edwards doesn't fail to create a unique heart beating page turner.
Always looking forward to anything new by him.
Follow Aidan and Lana in their desperate adventure to find their missing siblings.
Get to know the mysterious guru behind all this.
The end is near!

I was immediately drawn into this plot and the writing kept me reading. Although I felt that sometimes the plot was far fetched this in no way spoilt my enjoyment. I was swept along happily into all the twists and turns and ugly places. The main characters were easy to like and the dark characters very dark which gave a good versus evil quality to this one. This author is one of my favourites and he has not let me down.

No Place To Run by Mark Edwards
Publish date - 21 June 2022

This novel from page one was fast paced. It starts from page one and you keep reading. Lots of characters to love and hate in equal measure. Shouting at characters in most of Mark's books is a trait of mine. Why? You can't do anything about it, but I do it anyway!

I enjoyed the style of writing and with short chapters, you whizz through the pages! For me, the storyline in parts is a bit exaggerated but it was all part of the reading experience. The ending made you think!

I would recommend this novel

I give a 4 star rating

I WANT TO THANK NETGALLEY FOR THE OPPORTUNITY OF READING AN ADVANCED COPY OF THIS BOOK FOR AN HONEST REVIEW

As a popular author, I was excited to read my first Mark Edwards book and now I want to read more! The story: 2 years have passed since teenage Scarlett went missing and by chance, a stranger believes she catches sight of her in a clearing while she travels on the train. She’s confident that it’s Scarlett and she believes that she’s running from something. Her older sibling Aidan embarks on a mission to find her and discovers a world of crazy disappearances. He teams up with Lana who is desperately searching for her younger brother who is presumed dead, but she doesn’t believe it. The missing teenagers stories are intertwined yet wildly different and I was gripped for the duration of the book!

In a weird happenstance, a woman on a train recognizes a girl running in a field; a girl who went missing two years previously. When the woman notifies the girl’s family, the older brother, Aidan, decides to take some time off work to see if there’s anything to the older woman’s claims. By doing this, Aidan bites off way more than he can chew, getting mixed up in some dangerous situations he never could’ve imagined. Like most of Mark Edwards’ books, this was face paced with lots of things going on to keep the reader guessing all the way to the end. Although a little predictable at the very end, the book moves so quickly you won’t mind where it takes you.

Special Note: Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for allowing me to read this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Mark Edwards is one of my favorite authors. His book "The Retreat" is one of my all-time favorites.
So when this book was available to read on Netgalley I couldn't believe my eyes at first.
As expected, this is now another favorite of mine by his.
The writing, the plot, the characters, the well-paced twists - everything was perfection.

Heading south, Aidan finds a fire-ravaged town covered in missing-teenager posters. The locals seem afraid, the sheriff won’t answer any questions and it looks like another dead end – until a chance meeting with returned local Lana gives Aidan his first clue. But as they piece together what happened, Lana and Aidan make deadly enemies. Enemies willing to do anything to silence them - and to protect the terrible truth about what is really going on in the forest...

I am a fan of Mark Edwards, I believe he is definitely an underrated writer. His books are always creepy, mysterious, thrilling, etc. No one writes a psychological thriller like Mark Edwards! This being said, No Place to Run was different from his other works, not to day bad different, just different. The book held my attention and the 2 main characters were very well written. The book is about a. Missing girl but also branches into secrets and conspiracies. There were a few twists and turns, some I saw coming, but at least one big one I didn't see! Overall the book was good, I'd say more mystery then thriller, but would still recommend! Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for a honest review.

Reading books is often about escapism – travelling to another place and getting away from the troubles of the “real world”. I often read books set outside the UK for that reason. But, sometimes there is no escape.

The thing that I have always enjoyed most about Mark Edwards’ books is that he takes characters that you can identify with, creates situations that seem believable and unremarkable, and then twists everything around. How many times have I thought “that could have been me?” when reading one of his books? It doesn’t matter that aspects of the situation are different. It doesn’t matter if things get escalated so we have to suspend aspects of belief (I have written many times about the importance of having “pillars of truth”, particularly in the first half of a book/movie). You are onboard for the ride. More than most authors I know, Edwards does this all so well.

Many of the early books of Edwards’ that I read were set primarily in the UK. But he has also done some set in the USA, and “No Place To Run” is the third one recently (and, I believe, the last for a while). Set in the USA? “Yes”, I thought. “Some escapism (from the UK)”. But, no. By the time I’d finished the Prologue, it was clear that there would be no escape.

It was also clear early on that this book is yet another “confliction” novel, as I like to call them, by Edwards – one of those books where you are conflicted as you desperately want to know what happens next, but also don’t want it to end.

The nature of Edwards’ books is that I really can’t say much without spoiling some of the contents for you. You just need to read it for yourself.

Together with the story, there were a few lines that I particularly enjoyed – such as referring to a major news story as “media catnip” for journalists. This is a phrase I intend to drop into my academic writing at some point. And quoting Mark Edwards in one of my academic texts would seem appropriate given that the Mayor in “No Place To Run” is one Christopher Hood. We are told that the characters are “purely fictional” – perhaps I should leave this to others to judge!

All of Edwards’ books would make great movies, but, this is the one that is perhaps most in-tune with the contemporary world and would act as the best introduction to what his stories and characters can be like.

In the meantime, make sure you get a copy of “No Place To Run” as it’s a fabulous book.

Book 19 of 2022

No Where to Run by Mark Edwards
Pub day: 21st June
Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟

Mark Edwards brings us another psychological thriller with a new cast of interesting characters. I found a couple of them annoyingly sleazy, which was the point and two main characters who were brilliant together. I loved their dynamics and how they filtered through the story.

It had a great storyline, great twists, it had elements of gruesome scenes and a great ending.

I was pleasantly surprised by the reasonings that the antagonist was motivated by. Very clever and also the last quarter was really gripping especially once we had more of an idea of what those motivations were based on.

It reminded me of another book I’ve recently read, but I can’t mention it due to spoilers but the storyline has an element of similarity which I really loved.

My only criticisms are that the first half was quite a slow burn in places as we learnt about the characters, I wanted the momentum to pick up sooner. Also this isn’t really a criticism but more that I loved the past chapters which led up to one of the characters disappearance, I just wanted more of them. However this is a personal thing and overall it was another great thriller from Mark Edwards.

The momentum really picks up in the last third and Mark Edwards really delivers that fast pace race to the finish line. The tension was brilliant and I glided over the fact that I like to try to guess the last of any twists that may pop up as you near the finish. Great conclusion and everything tied up as always!

As a huge Mark Edwards fan I am really disappointed to say I just couldn't enjoy this book. I tried, I really did. My favourites being The House Guest, The Retreat and The Magpies, this one however just felt too different and hard to get into.

So I'm just going to go cut to the chase I love Mark Edwards. There aren't many authors that I can say I've loved every single one of their books. He is one.
Edwards writes psychological thrillers featuring your average Joe main character. Dark and terryfying, unimaginable things happen to them. They could happen to anyone of us.
No Place to Run is just as twisted, just as dark and I couldn't read it fast enough. I loved the characters, they were real and darkly funny and I'm going to miss them now I'm finished the book. Brilliant as always and highly recommended. I recommend reading everyone of his books (including the ones written with Louise Voss).. Be warned you will be left terrified.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks @markedwardsauthor @netgalley and @amazonbooks for my advanced reader copy x

I enjoyed this book, like with other Mark Edwards books I flew through it! I really like his writing style and I’m always hooked from the first page.

No Place to Run for me didn’t have as much twist and turns as his previous releases but I was still kept interested and wanted to see how it ended.

The setting was perfect and while I was reading the book I could imagine it happening in real life and that definitely had me shook.I really liked how the book was told in different POVs aswell.

Overall if you are a Mark Edwards fan I do think it’s worth a read and I did enjoy it, I wouldn’t say it’s one of my favourites though📚

No Place to Run is being released on the 21st June and of course I preordered a copy already to add to my bookshelf.

It started off great and about halfway through, it got a bit predictable and the characters were for the most part unpleasant. I have read other books by this author and this is the first one that has disappointed me.

Aiden has been desperately searching for his teenage sister, Scarlett for 2 years. She was coming to visit Aiden in Seattle when she simply vanished. After lots of false leads and dead ends, Aiden has nearly lost all hope of finding Scarlett. Then a clue came from a woman in Northern California that is convinced that she saw the missing girl running in the forest. Aiden goes there immediately and finds that no one will help him including the local police. Will he ever find his long lost sister?

I am a huge Mark Edwards fan. I have read all of his books. This one certainly on par with his collection. The subject matter was a little bit different but he maintained all of the great twists and turns that he is famous for. It was very entertaining and Mark Edwards’ fans will likely enjoy it.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for my ARC in exchange for my honest review.

This review will be posted to my Instagram Blog (@coffee.break.book.reviews) in the near future.

I often have mixed feelings about Mark Edwards' books, but there's no denying he writes readable stories.

Here, a Seattle-based Brit with the rather unlikely name of Aidan (no, not Adam) Faith has spent two years searching for his missing sister, the even more implausibly named Scarlett Faith. Teenager Scarlett went missing while visiting Aidan, and there's been no sign of her since... at least, not until a woman named Francesca sees, from a train window, a young woman she's sure is Scarlett, fleeing a pursuer in the woods.

This new lead, tenuous as it is, sends Aidan on a dangerous quest to find his sister, teaming up en route with a woman named Lana who's also seeking answers about what happened to her younger brother, supposedly killed in a wildfire.

It's all a bit far-fetched - ok, very far-fetched - and there's a streak of sadism in certain characters which I've noted in other Edwards books and could, frankly, do without.

It's also not clear why the sensible-seeming Francesca, witnessing what is very likely a crime from her train window, doesn't immediately alert the train authorities.

Nevertheless an enjoyable read, though you need to increasingly suspend your disbelief as the story goes on.

Just finished reading No Place to Run by Mark Edwards. This book is not what I consider a typical Mark Edwards book but is entertaining none the less.
An older woman on a train spots a young woman running for her life across a field being chased by a man. She realizes she has seen this girl before and she has been missing for two years. After researching, she gets in touch with the girl’s brother, who has been constantly trying to find her.. What ensues is a whirlwind of twists and turns, danger and deceit and not knowing who to trust.
This book is definitely a sign of the times and delves into current events of situations happening in our world today.

I must admit to feeling a little disappointed with this book. When I saw a new Mark Edwards I was really excited but unfortunately it did not live up to my expectations. However I am giving it 4* as it was exciting in parts and the storyline was good.
I would probably recommend it to someone who has not read his previous books.
Thank you Amazon Publishing and Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to give my unbiased opinion

A pacy entertaining read from Mark Edwards, maybe slightly less twisty than usual but a page turner none the less.

A brothers desperate search for his sister after a brief encounter sets the scene for this story which soon takes a turn down an even darker path.

I enjoyed it muchly, read it in a couple of sittings, the characters were engaging and the setting was atmospheric. Overall a great read.

I have read a few Mark Edward books in the past and have loved them. However I have mixed feelings about this book. The book started off well and is quite fast paced, but I did not like the actual storyline. I also thought the book dragged for a bit and there were paragraphs and paragraphs about the issues we are facing today. It wasn’t exactly the psychological thriller I have come to expect from the author. Overall I thought this book was a bit of a letdown.
Thank you to the publishers for an advanced copy of this ebook and giving me a chance to review it.

A cracking read from Mark Edwards. Aidan’s much younger sister Scarlett visits him in the US and goes missing. A sighting of Scarlett by Francesca, an elderly lady, on a Seattle bound train leads Aidan to investigate what has really happened to his sister. My only criticism would be that the plot became a little predictable towards the end.

Mr Edwards is a master of intrigue and suspense in his novels and No Place to Run is no exception.

Aidan had left his family home in England for a new life in Seattle, but he didn't just leave his parents behind but his thirteen year old sister Scarlett.
Now fifteen the family decided that she is old enough to visit Aidan in America.
The first few day's are a little tense between them until by accident they come across a environmental protest, which Scarlett is very passionate about.
Fast forward two years....that's how long Scarlett has been missing on Aidens watch. He let his young sister go missing and he can't let it go.

A chance sighting of Scarlett by a elderly woman passenger on a train running for her life takes Aidan to Northern California and the search for his sister.
But small towns hold secrets that they don't want to reveal and this small town is no exception!

This book has so many interesting characters and it has so many twists that your head will feel like the exorcist!

Another hit!! It never ceases to amaze me how Mark Edwards has the ability to draw you in instantly!!! With each turn of the page it grips you wondering, questioning, yearning for more. This book makes you question the morals of the present world and environmental changes where anything is possible. And in the end the extreme conditions in the book make so much sense in reality. Absolutely love this book! Definitely worth the read!!

15 year old Scarlett disappears while visiting her brother, Aidan in America. Two years later and no sign of Scarlett to date, an elderly lady spots someone meeting her unique description while on a train. She contacts Aidan and he is on a mission to find Scarlett and meets up with Lana, who is trying to find her brother who disappeared in a ‘fire’. The two need to be careful, because as they closer to the truth, the dangers become real and escalate quickly.
The storyline concept has potential, but didn’t find this book as gripping as other Mark Edwards books.

Another belter from Mark Edwards, This book, just like The Hollows is set in the US but the main character, Aidan is British but working in Seattle. There are nice nods towards Kurt Cobain and Nirvana and the whole grunge scene in Seattle. Aidan's sister Scarlett has been missing for a couple of years which happened under Aidan's watch and he will do anything to try and find her.

Without giving too much away he teams up with the intriguing Lana whose brother is also missing, but he is believed to have died in a recent bush fire although Lana doesn't believe the stories that are being told about his supposed death. Aidan and Lana make a bucket load of enemies in their quest for the truth about their loved ones. You get a real feel of some of the more remote parts of the US and the mysterious people who live there.

As the book progresses you get a real cinematic feel to the story as it comes to a nail biting conclusion. Does Aidan get reunited with Scarlett? Does Lana find out the truth about her brother? This book is more than just a missing person story. and you will find the themes quite topical. Another page turner from Mark, slightly different to some of his previous books but equally addictive. Thank you to Mark, his publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity of reading an ARC of No Place to Run, prior to publication date.

Edwards a.lways delivers on suspense and tension with a strong storyline and 3-dimensional characters. If you like a good page-turner, this is it

I'm a big fan of Mark Edwards and have read and loved every one but I wasn't a massive fan of this one. It seemed a little different style, more like a normal mystery book rather than his usual psychological thriller, I'm usually.gripped from the first page and can't put it down and although I did enjoy this it felt slower and lacking in something. Mark is still a brilliant author and can't wait for his next book.

When a teenage girl, missing for two years is spotted by a train passenger in a remote Californian forest her brother, tortured by her disappearance, sets off to investigate and uncover the truth. Influenced by current environmental issues with interesting characters the story has the usual twists, is absorbing and picks up the pace to a page turning conclusion.

My first read by this author, I picked this up with high hopes as I know he is highly acclaimed for his psychological thrillers.

Aiden's younger sister Scarlett vanished two years ago and hasn't been seen since, Aiden will follow any lead to try and find her.

The story starts really well, a lady travelling on a cross country train sees a young woman running throughout the woods pursued by an angry man. Recognising the woman as Scarlett the lady contacts Aiden, setting him off on the next leg of his quest to find his sister.

It's a sprawling adventure quest rather than a psych thriller, and for the most part I quite enjoyed it. The characters are good, the locations are inventive and the plot flows along nicely.

I felt the latter parts dragged on, and no spoilers but I thought the final location and segment was a step too long and too far.

Overall, not really one for me, but I intend to try some of the author's highly rated thrillers.

Thanks to Netgalley and Thomas & Mercer