The Silence in the Sound

978-1-64663-772-0

Pub Date 23 Aug 2022 | Archive Date 05 Sep 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheSilenceintheSound #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Finding inspiration where she least expects it, one woman's life is about to change forever.

Life had not always been kind to Georgette. She grew up with an alcoholic father and an enabling mother. To help see her through the bad times, she clings to the loving memory of a childhood trip to Martha's Vineyard.

Now an adult, Georgette works as a nurse and has returned to the island to start her life over. Then opportunity arrives in the most unlikely of places as she becomes the private nurse for the well-known island resident Mr. S. The prize-winning novelist and Georgette become friends, and he opens her mind to new possibilities.

Soon everything changes when she encounters the mysterious Dock. Georgette isn't quite sure about him but finds him irresistible. She quickly loses herself in her relationship despite the inherent dangers that come with him. Torn between the future or spiraling into a life she tried so hard to leave behind, Georgette must make her most important decision ever.

Sometimes escaping the past isn't as easy as it appears.

The Silence in Sound is the provocative debut novel by Dianne C. Braley detailing the devastating effects of growing up with addiction.

A Note From the Publisher

Author Bio:
A raw, gritty New Englander, Dianne C. Braley found love for the written word early on, reading and creating stories while trying to escape hers, growing up in the turbulent world of alcoholism. After putting her pencil down for a time, she became a registered nurse finding strength and calm in caring for those who couldn't care for themselves. Still, she never lost her drive to write, and later she found her passion again on the island of Martha's Vineyard with the help of a famous author who became her friend and motivator.

Author Bio:

Advance Praise

"Dianne Braley’s beautifully written, lyrical, and insightful debut weaves the disparate threads of the journey to wisdom and maturity into a wondrous fabric. The Silence in the Sound plumbs the depths of relationships – with a famous author, with a lost father, and ultimately with oneself – to measure the sometimes dark pathways that bring us to where we are. A brilliant read, and a first novel that promises great things to come."

--GREG FIELDS, author, Through the Waters and the Wild, winner of the 2021 New York Book Award for Literary Fiction

“A beautifully-written and riveting tale of love, resilience, friendship, devotion, and the heartbreaking impacts of addiction. Braley does a masterful job weaving George’s quest for love and peace with fascinating intersecting story lines, past and present. For those who love Martha’s Vineyard, it’s also a special treat to see the island lovingly rendered as a character in its own right.”

--ELISA M. SPERANZA, author of The Italian Prisoner (set to debut in April 2022)

EDITION Paperback

Send to Kindle (PDF)

I really enjoyed this book!

Rating: 3/5

Synopsis:

Sometimes escaping the past isn't as easy as it appears.

Thank you NetGalley for giving me an eARC!!

My first book to read by this author but definitely not my last! Such a gripping novel that made it hard for me to put his book down once I started it. Highly recommend!!

This book is based on Martha's Vineyard, so always a must read for me. Georgette goes to Martha's Vineyard to live out a dream from her childhood, after she went on a trip there with her father. Her childhood was difficult, and that trip feels like one of the only bright spots. She is a nurse, and works for a famous author who is failing, then falls in love with a mysterious man. I loved the Vineyard references! The story has love, loss, addiction, found family. Enjoyed reading this. #netgalley #thesilenceinthesound @diannecbraley #bookstagram #booklover #bookreview #bookrecommendation #tbr #bookblog #readersofinstagram #bookloversofinstagram #marthasvineyardbooks #lovetoread #foundfamily #addiction

Beautifully written! I feel the realistic traits in the characters surrounding Georgette really made this story. For a while the back forth in timeline felt annoying because every time something happened, I was left needing and craving what would follow but then it was like a flashback was placed there. However, continuing forward I was grateful as it provided information that helped flush out our main character and made me enjoy the book that much more. Perhaps too much as I ended up crying so hard upon finishing because of how deep I went into this book.