The Other Half of Me

Pub Date 07 Jul 2022 | Archive Date 21 Jul 2022
Amazon Publishing UK, Lake Union Publishing

Talking about this book? Use #TheOtherHalfofMe #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

She ran from her past, abandoned her dreams. But is it too late to start again?

Since the death of her big sister, Beth has felt lost, a shadow of her former self. It’s been years since she abandoned her youthful musical aspirations and settled for playing piano in a hotel bar; when she lost Lucy, she lost the one who was always there to encourage her, the one who stopped her from giving up on life entirely.

In her grief, Beth finds herself sinking deeper into the rut Lucy was forever trying to lift her out of. But then a posthumous gift from Lucy, a puzzle box, arrives weeks after the funeral, containing clues that Beth must follow to reopen long-closed doors to the past—including memories she’s been running from for years.

As she reluctantly follows the trail, rediscovering friendships she discarded on her downward spiral, Beth realises that she lost her way long before she lost Lucy. But is it too late to find her way back to the hopeful, trusting person she was before—and to finally start living the version of the future that Lucy always wanted for her?

She ran from her past, abandoned her dreams. But is it too late to start again?

A Note From the Publisher

Katherine has a master’s in Modern History from Oxford University, is a member of Mensa and used to work as an investment banker. She lives in Kent with her husband, two children and a disobedient dog.

EDITION Paperback
ISBN 9781542034616
PRICE £8.99 (GBP)

Send to Kindle (MOBI)

It was just like any other book to start with, what I don't get with other books is the heartfelt emotion inside every sentence. I've also never had a book make me cry almost all the way through, this one did! I would read this over and over again

“The Other Half of Me” is by Katherine Slee. In some ways I really liked this book and in other ways, it just didn’t work for me. This book, at times, was incredibly sad but at other times I found myself frustrated with the attitude Beth (the main character) had toward seemingly everything. I realize - and acknowledge - that grief is a difficult emotion to deal with - both mentally and physically. I also acknowledge that Beth was deeply into grieving - both the loss of her sister but also at “what could’ve been” in her life.

I think Ms. Slee’s over all idea of this book was what interested me. However, I didn’t find myself enjoying reading this book all the time, especially some of the stories in the past. People are complex and this book shows that. While the idea of a “treasure hunt” was interesting, it didn’t always work for me. Overall, I’d rate this a 3.5 read, rounded up to 4 stars.

This was an engaging book that kept me interested throughout. I found Beth and Lucy compelling and strong. The book was a good length and pacy. I enjoyed it very much. Thank you NG and the publisher for the chance to read.

First off, Thank you so much for letting me review this wonderful book! I absolutely adored this book! I enjoyed the characters and the story! The story flowed great and had me reading and finishing the book in no time! I highly recommend this book! Stunning, a page-turner which stays long in the memory!

Beth lost Lucy - her sister. A brain tumor that would come and go until, one day, she was gone. Lucy's existence was gone but the memories and hurtful feelings revealed themselves in Beth's life every day. Beth was not the perfect daughter, not as much as Lucy. Her life was like a shadow following Lucy needs and her popular personality and the only thing that made her truly happy and alive was music. Playing on her piano, writing her songs and suddenly the world disappears. But now, her dreams of becoming a songwriter are shattered, forgotten as a couple of events happened in the past that cannot be changed. Still, as the past cannot be changed there is always a glimpse of hope for the future. Lucy left something for Beth. Slowly she starts to reveal the meaning behind those memories. What happened and what it might happen. Forgiveness and love.

This book is about finding yourself as the world feels unlivable. When your dreams, your passion, is running away from you. When there is no hope or happiness or love. Until there is.

Personally I connected with the main character because I am, as well, in love with music since I remember me as a person. Dreams can change, it's true, but the passion for music will always be there. I recommend this book, although I feel like jumping between the present and the past chapter by chapter was making me distracted. And my health anxiety suffered a little bit while reading this journey of Lucy's brain tumor. Besides that, I think it was a beautiful story.

Thank you NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for this eARC.

The People You Meet On Vacation meets My Sister’s Keeper with a bit of Coyote Ugly thrown in.

Losing her big sister, Lucy, to a brain tumor while dealing with the choices that led her life to feel stagnant. Elizabeth doesn’t know what to do or how to do it, but she knows her life has been utterly disappointing to herself and everyone she cares about. From beyond the grave, Lucy forces Elizabeth to face the music- and move on with her life.

It’s heavy, gripping, heart wrenching and beautiful.

This is my first Katherine Slee book, but it definitely won't be my last!

I admit that I was drawn to the cover more than the book blurb, but I ended up really enjoying this story. So much so, that I read it in one sitting.

It has so many great elements:

*Lovely sibling relationship between Beth and Lucy. It made me tear up and want to call my own sister several times.
*Great friends-to-lovers subplot.
*Poignant song lyrics that I wish I could actually have a playlist of.

Will definitely be adding this to my re-read shelf!

What a great read! Full of turmoil, betrayal and all kinds of love.

Elizabeth Franks (Beth) had big dreams, but a few misguided decisions, and the death of her sister Lucy, and Beth’s life is a mess - until a puzzle left by Lucy sends Beth on a trail through memories, heartache and truths.

"Our dreams are just pieces scattered all over With nowhere particular to go’ Galaxy girl, Elizabeth Franks"

This is a story of regret, guilt and grief, which sounds like a hard read, and it is full of emotion, but it didn’t feel difficult. I’m not musical in the slightest but I thought the background story added depth and intensity to the main characters and the plot.

I have to admit to start with I found Beth’s self-pity irritating, and the sisters are very polarised characters - maybe to the point of cliché but, being written in the first person, I soon came to understand this really was the vehemence of Beth’s feelings of inadequacy, and idolisation of the ‘perfect’ Lucy.

The Other Half of Me is one of those books that I wanted to read constantly and yet I didn’t want to finish, and I will miss now that I have.

Thank you to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for providing this advance copy in exchange for an honest review.

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to experience the early edition of this book.

The best one of this summer reads so far. A page turner and one that you can not put down.
Highly recommend!

This book left me with mixed feelings. The plot itself is great and I was immediately hooked. I loved how the chapters go back and forth between past and present, and little by little, we find out why Beth ended up where she is in life: alone, depressed and uninspired.

However, the big reveal of the thing Beth did to make everyone mad at her left me confused. I don't want to spoil it, so I'll just say I kept waiting for something else to come up because I couldn't believe that was it. It doesn't make much sense to me that her loved ones would blame her and be so unsupportive after something that happened when she was a teen and which she was the victim of.

That being said, I have to praise the writing for keeping me invested in Beth's story even when things were frustrating me.

This short book is a page-turner, sentimental and the central idea is about how we deal with the problems in our lives.
We follow Beth, who recently lost her older sister Lucy. We go back and forward in time, seeing what happened between them. The main plot is a treasure hunt that Lucy sets up for beth to do after her death, mainly to help her move on.
We get to see Beth and where she is with her work, dreams, and ambitions, as well as her relationships with her family and friends.
There were parts that a found cliche but didn't stop me from keep reading the book.

This was heartbreaking but also heartwarming (a good mix really). Beth's journey through her grief was relatable, but also quite distinct due to several factors of her past revealed later on in the book. The writing was pretty good, and I really enjoyed the incorporation of music throughout the entire story and the extra layer of feeling that it added overall.

I thought the flashback chapters were a great addition to the book, and it created almost a mystery-like atmosphere to why Beth turned out like she did, and what was needed on her quest to figure out Lucy's puzzle. I thought it started off a bit slow, but I really got into the book towards last half of it when more of Beth, Lucy, and Isaac's pasts came to light. Overall a 4-star read for me.