From Brick & Darkness

Pub Date 16 May 2022 | Archive Date 31 May 2022

Talking about this book? Use #FromBrickDarkness #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Bax always fantasized something remarkable would happen in his life. So when a decrepit man with glowing purple eyes offers him a ring intended for his estranged father, Bax accepts.

The ring speaks to Bax in a dream, tempting him with a vision of a powerful djinn. Desperate to make his fantasies a reality, Bax unleashes a creature called Ifrit, but soon learns this djinn isn't what the ring led him to believe. Feeding off the depths of his subconscious, the sinister demon fulfills what he thinks Bax wants by manipulating, threatening, and murdering. With everyone he loves in danger and a trail of crimes pointing back at him, Bax must scramble to solve the puzzle that will banish Ifrit forever.

The ring speaks...

EDITION Ebook

Send to Kindle (MOBI)

Average rating from 1 member

From Brick and Darkness is a young adult fantasy novel about a boy named Baxter Allen. Now unlike the other fantasies I’ve read I never came across genie fantasy which this entails. I mean yes Aladdin, but that’s it. And it was, or I am assuming portrayed close to the actual genies in Asian cultures. I haven’t read young adult fantasy since I was in middle school, and all I could think about while ready this was how much I missed the feeling of reading this genre. But before I get into how much I enjoyed this book let’s start with the writing itself. From Brick and Darkness was well written and easy to follow. Sometimes fantasy authors can fall short with bad world building, but Sullivan has thoroughly constructed a teenage life and genie mythology. And speaking of genie mythology, I want to applaud the author on continuing to reiterate information. There was never a point where I didn’t understand what was going on in the story. Next, the characters. Okay, so I don’t know if this is a standalone, but I don’t think it should be. The only critic I have is the lack of depth of the characters. I think Baxter’s feelings towards his father should have been explored more. I also think Ashley should have gotten a chapter or two about her life and perspective in order to understand her better. There is just too much more to explore in regards to Baxter, Ashley, and Jason (side characters) character development. I would have loved to have more interactions between all three of them and dive deeper into the theme of friendship. But then again this is a plot driven book, so maybe that is not the intention of the author. And Finally, the overall experience reading. I WANT ANOTHER BOOK NOW. I don’t mean to yell, but seriously this book was so entertaining. I let out a few genuine laughs and awwws. So many thrilling aspects that had me reading until it was the middle of the night and my eyes started hurting. I think what made this book this most entertaining was the fact that I did not know how the book would go, and that is what kept me reading. I also really enjoyed the commentary on human greed and bitterness which I wish I saw a lot more of in Young adult books. It is what made me feel like I’m 12 again, and literally start pleading give us a book two…If there is one.