An Ancient People, a Troubled History, and One Last Chance for Peace
by Lawrence Stevenson; Glynnis Stevenson
This title was previously available on NetGalley and is now archived.
Send NetGalley books directly to your Kindle or Kindle app
To read on a Kindle or Kindle app, please add firstname.lastname@example.org as an approved email address to receive files in your Amazon account. Click here for step-by-step instructions.
Also find your Kindle email address within your Amazon account, and enter it here.
Pub Date 15 Apr 2022 | Archive Date 27 Jan 2023
Sutherland House, Sutherland House Books
Those experiences, and Cyprus’s intractable division between East and West, haunted him deep into adulthood. Now, fifty years later, he returns to the tiny island in the Eastern Mediterranean as its chances of a peaceful reunification are fast running out. Relying on his own insights and research, as well as interviews with a diverse lot of international lawyers, UN officials, politicians, and Cypriots, Stevenson and his daughter Glynnis, a historian, reflect on how the island came to its impasse, and why the UN, the EU, the US, and the UK have failed to return it to peace. With a fair-minded appraisal of the wrongs committed and suffered by both sides and a clear-eyed sense of diplomatic possibilities, Lawrence and Glynnis outline the only remaining option available for those who wish Cyprus reunited under one government. It is an option they passionately endorse, not only for the sake of the Cypriots, but as a rare example of peaceful co-existence in an increasingly fractured world.
A Note From the Publisher
LAWRENCE STEVENSON attended the Royal Military College and served as a Captain in the Canadian Airborne Regiment, serving two peacekeeping tours in Cyprus. He is the Managing Director of Clearspring Capital Partners and the founder and former CEO of Chapters, Canada’s largest book retailer.
GLYNNIS STEVENSON is a PhD candidate in the History of Art at University College London, and she holds a Masters in Art History from the University of Pennsylvania.
- Pitching for reviews and new release round-ups in PW, Booklist, Foreword, Kirkus, LJ and others
- Full-scale PR emphasizing reviews, interviews, features/profiles, and excerpts with major U.S. & Canada print, online, and broadcast media (books, culture, current events, human interest)
- Focus on relevant special interest media & academics (podcasts, blogs, magazines, quarterlies): history, Cypriot Historians, Cypriot interest, political interest
- NetGalley promotion & homepage feature
- Targeted advertising campaigns on Facebook, Goodreads and BookBub for Featured New Release promotion
-Select author appearances & book signing events in Canada, US & UK.
- Pre-order push and ongoing release promotion in Sutherland House Books newsletter and social media