The Urban Sketching Handbook Spotlight on Nature

Tips and Techniques for Drawing and Painting Nature on Location

Pub Date 14 Jun 2022 | Archive Date 05 Jul 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheUrbanSketchingHandbookSpotlightonNature #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Learn how to make the most of nature in on-location drawings and paintings with artists and Urban Sketcher educators Gail L. Wong and Virginia Hein.

In The Urban Sketching Handbook Spotlight on Nature, Gail and Virginia share their secrets for getting beyond basic greenery. Presenting a variety of approaches, including detailed step-by-step examples and quick, insightful tips, this book explains and clarifies important fundamentals for composition and color and inspires unique treatments and points of view.

Whatever your skill level, you can bring nature to life on the page for urban parks as well as expansive landscapes with The Urban Sketching Handbook: Spotlight on Nature.

The Urban Sketching Handbook series offers artists expert instruction on creative techniques, on-location tips and advice, and an abundance of visual inspiration. These handy references come in a compact, easy-to-carry format—perfect to toss in your backpack or artist’s tote.

In The Urban Sketching Handbook Spotlight on Nature...

As a person who can’t draw but always makes it look okay if I try, I found this book very helpful. All the tips on how to draw certain things with examples from different artists actually helped me a lot. I also really like the list of challenges to do, which is provided at the end of the book. I’ll have to spend some time in summer trying to do all of them 😊

Covers a great and wide range of what you’ll need for impressive urban sketching. Helpful and informative!

Nature gets the spotlight this time in this new instalment of the excellent Urban Sketching Handbook series. And it is another worthwhile title!

Because this is drawing and painting nature in an urban sketching context, the main focus is on incorporating nature in a scene, and not so much nature in close up that you might see in nature journaling (though there are a few of that.) Major chapters include finding the character of a place and also finding nature in a city. Tips and techniques abound and are great information for beginners and good refreshers for the more experienced urban sketcher (typical of this fantastic series.)

I enjoyed looking at all the sketches in the book (just as I did for all the previous titles in the series.) Loved looking up the instagram accounts of some of the artists featured (something I loved to do from the previous titles too.)

I wonder what the publishers will come up next for this wonderful series. Can't wait! I’m fast running out of superlatives as this series gets bigger and bigger!