Eye Dreaming

Photographs by Anthony Barboza

Pub Date 25 Oct 2022 | Archive Date Not set
Getty Publications, J. Paul Getty Museum

Talking about this book? Use #EyeDreaming #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

This richly illustrated book is the first monograph to explore the prolific career of the celebrated photographer Anthony Barboza.

Anthony Barboza (b. 1944) is a celebrated artist and writer who has made thousands of photographs in the studio and on the street since 1963. A member of the Kamoinge collective of photographers in New York, Barboza is largely self-taught and has an inimitable, highly intuitive vision that he refers to as “eye dreaming,” or “a state of mind that’s almost like meditation.” Throughout the years he has made countless commercial images, including celebrity portraits, advertisements, and album covers. His personal photographic projects illuminate his deep investment in the art and concerns of Black communities, not only in the United States but also around the globe.

This lavishly illustrated volume follows Barboza’s prolific career from his youth in New Bedford, Massachusetts, to his formative years in New York in the 1960s, to the present day. An introduction by renowned author and critic Hilton Als underscores Barboza’s importance and impact. An essay by curator Aaron Bryant contextualizes Barboza’s life and career as they map against major civil rights events in the United States. In an intimate interview between the artist and curator Mazie M. Harris, Barboza offers astute, humorous, and intimate musings on his long career, foundational influences, and artistic legacy. This monograph, the first on the artist, will appeal to aficionados of photography and Black art and culture.

Anthony Barboza (b. 1944) is a celebrated artist and writer who...

Advance Praise

“In this sensational collection, photographer Barboza’s body of work is celebrated in all its glory . . . It’s a gorgeous addition to the shelf of any art book collector.”—Publishers Weekly **STARRED REVIEW**

“Barboza’s creative talent is unmatched, as anyone fortunate enough to be part of his photo shoots will tell you. Let him take you on this journey through decades of photographs of everyday life, beauty, and culture.”—Pat Evans, former model

“Sometimes words just didn't cut it—we needed pictures. That's where Barboza came in. Whether they be musicians, painters, poets or orators, very few have captured the essence of Blackness as Barboza has."—Ishmael Reed, novelist and playwright

“Tony Barboza is a genius—few photographers capture the beauty of Black women like he can.”—Audrey Smaltz, former model, fashion columnist and entrepreneur

“Anthony Barboza’s work has a dynamic quality of motion that always captures the restless inner lives of his subjects. His images reveal their interior selves as richly as they do their exterior selves. He sees into them, and they unfold before his gaze and our eyes.”—Nelson George, author and filmmaker

“I loved every page of this book. Eye Dreaming is magical. It is a panorama of the photographer’s life in image making focusing on the beauty and trauma of Black life. The compelling text by the writers brilliantly expands the visual narratives. Barboza’s portraits of Black creatives from writers to poets, fashion models to painters, photographers to musicians portrays a fascinating history that is long overdue. It is a must have!”—Deborah Willis, author of Posing Beauty in African American Culture

"Anthony Barboza produces photographs with a curious eye, creating unique images of surreal, and quiet moments that capture the essence of his subjects. You feel Barboza’s images taking us to a higher place to experience his creativity through his camera lens.”—Sheila Pree Bright, photographer, artist, and author

PAGES 184

Eye Dreaming: Photographs by Anthony Barboza is one of the most interesting photography books I have ever seen. Excellent essays and an interview plus beautiful photographs.

Admittedly I am not a photography or art expert, I am simply someone who enjoys both, so I was not as familiar with Barboza's work as others may be. A few portraits and album covers were the extent of my knowledge. This volume puts the breadth of his work on display as well as contextualizing it within his personal life and the civil rights movement.

As you might expect my primary interest in books like this are the illustrations, anything else is an extra for me. Not only are the photographs very well presented but they speak to the viewer in multiple ways. The humanity of the subjects, whether celebrity or not, comes through. While with the celebrities it serves to remind us that they are human, with the others it reminds us that some of our country's ills don't affect numbers, they affect individuals. These pictures powerfully drive that point home.

The essays and interview really add to the enjoyment of the photographs. Very helpful biographical information, insight into Barboza's processes (technical as well as mental), and an essay situating his life and work within the frame of the civil rights movement helps the less-informed reader, like myself, understand all of it better.

I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys wonderful photography, those who simply want an attractive coffee table book, and those interested in the Black Arts Movement and Kamoinge (as well as other groups in NYC).

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley.

I don't know anything about photo except that I'm a huge fan see it, but in the tecnichal ground I'm so dumb...but this guy is so talented (and the way he worked with Grace Jones, OMG! I wish) and give this flashback to his carrer is one trip that allows to see how other pieople lives and how he saw their place in this world