American Roots

Lessons and Inspiration from the Designers Reimagining Our Home Gardens

Pub Date 25 Oct 2022 | Archive Date 25 Oct 2022

Talking about this book? Use #AmericanRoots #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

“I love this book. Here are home gardens of designers from every part of our great country that are inspiring proof of a passionate vitality and freshness in American gardening today.” — Page Dickey, author of Uprooted

In recent years, bold designers have begun championing an American design aesthetic that embraces regional cultures, plants, and growing conditions. In American Roots, Nick McCullough, Allison McCullough, and Teresa Woodard highlight designers and creatives with exceptional home gardens, focused on those who push the boundaries, trial extraordinary plants, embrace a regional ethos, and express their talents in highly personal ways. Covering all the regions of the country, the profiles dive into design influences, share the back stories of the gardens and their creators, and include design tips and plant suggestions.

American Roots is a beautiful invitation to reconsider how we define the American garden, filled with guidance and encouragement for anyone looking to dig more deeply into their own home garden.

Advance Praise

"Both newbie gardeners and those with years of experience digging in the dirt will find plenty of inspiration in this smartly crafted book that delivers both gardening style and substance." —Library Journal

This is a gorgeous book! I loved all the photos for garden inspiration, the stories of the gardeners, and the little extras like names and pictures of plants each gardener recommends and tips they have related to their gardens. The gardeners are divided up by American region, making it easy to see gardens that grow in conditions similar to yours. It's nice seeing gardens like an urban wildflower garden from Lincoln, Nebraska, instead of just manicured gardens from more famous garden regions. There's a huge range of styles of gardens and they're gorgeous but also accessible. A great read and great eye candy for gardeners of all types.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for review.

Truly an enjoyable book if you like gardens and gardening at all. The photos are gorgeous with descriptions for many of the plants. I appreciate lots of native plants being included. I was pleasantly surprised to be familiar with several of the well known gardeners included in this book and well as some who were new to me.
I received an advanced copy in exchange for my review.

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for the advanced reader's copy of this publication.

This book is clearly one of the most beautiful books I've laid my eyes on recently.
The information, resources and photos will help an early gardener produce beautiful gardens.

American Roots is a beautiful book, full of visual inspiration. I found it difficult to wade into the text, consumed as I was by the stunning images. The photographs alone provide a wealth of inspiration. The text likely does, too, though I can't say! What I was able to read did seem geared more to designers, landscape architects, and professionals than to average home gardeners. I was delighted that the book featured Black gardeners. Beautiful, inspiring book!

This is a beautiful book with inspiring pictures and stories of how various gardeners/garden designers created lovely large gardens in various parts of the US. The photos and tips spark ideas, and favorite plants from each garden are identified. Beginning and small-area gardeners could gain a few tips, but details are lacking and the photos can be overwhelming and imply plenty of time and money--although there are money-saving tips based on the contents of most of the gardens. I'll buy a few copies if I get a request for the book or have more budget money to spend as it's inspiring and has several good tips if not detailed instructions.

Beautiful book! It's the kind of book that you can get lost in, dreaming of improving your own garden to match the ones here. It's worth the price just for the photographs. The text is good too. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.