Haven Wakes

The Haven Chronicles: Book One

Pub Date 24 Sep 2019 | Archive Date 01 Oct 2022

Talking about this book? Use #HavenWakes #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

When Steve Haven’s uncle dies, Steve finds himself the guardian of a strange artefact known only as the Reactor. But there are people out there who want the Reactor: dangerous and powerful people, who will stop at nothing to get it.

Steve is sucked into a race against time to save two worlds (one magical and one technological) from an evil he could never have imagined and, in doing so, is forced to rely on people who, just a few days before, he would never have believed could exist.

Haven Wakes is an exciting and enthralling journey through new worlds, both futuristic and magical.

Advance Praise

"Shades of Artemis Fowl, hints of Harry Potter, and a style all its own."

"What if the world wasn't made just of what we see? What if there were robots, hidden cities, extraordinary powers and exceptional creatures? What if you opened a book thinking, ok, here's another YA and after a few pages you weren't able to put it down? Havens Wakes has all this and a lot more."

"Shades of Artemis Fowl, hints of Harry Potter, and a style all its own."

EDITION Ebook
ISBN 9781912946075
PRICE £3.99 (GBP)

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Review
What an unbelievable gem Haven Wakes turned out to be. I was astounded at how quickly the book drew me in. The time simply evaporated as I sat reading this inventive, imaginative and exciting piece of young adult Science fiction. Futuristic magic, mystery and mayhem at its very best.
It all begins when young Steve Haven finds that Rex, his uncle, has died. His uncle has left something in his care, and now Steve has suddenly become the guardian of a strange artefact known only as the Reactor.
His dad and mum have gone missing, and some very sinister individuals are after the Reactor.
But he finds some unlikely allies in Hartley and Blessing. Magical beings from seemingly just a magic door away. With the help of Abel, the man servant of Rex (and a whole lot more besides), plus a few more accomplices, they must keep the Reactor safe from a would-be power crazy unknown. Life has suddenly gotten very complicated for Steve Haven.
I had quite a few flashbacks to old books and movies along the way whilst reading Haven Wakes. This is not in any way a slight on the book.
For example, the various automatons, whether domestics or self-drive vehicles, had images of I-Robot (the movie) springing to mind. But it just added substance to an already exciting narrative.
Similar with Hartley and his Purple Chalk. A variation on a theme used before (The Portable Door - Tom Holt being my ultimate favourite) but an excellent concept in its own right.
Heart-warming visions of Compo Simonite (Last of the Summer Wine) flashed through my mind as Hartley got out his secretive matchbox. But as with Compo, the secret has yet to be revealed. Maybe we will see it again in another book, who knows.
As the story developed, it became riveting, as the main protagonist found himself in one scrape after another. Self-inflicted at times may be but mostly, through no fault of his own. Steve has that naive but flawed charm you like in the main character. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread, as the saying goes.
There are some unique aspects to the story that I have never come across before, and the many creative elements of future earth were fascinating. The use of jars and vials was a feature of the narrative that I would have liked to have seen expanded on a little as the ingenuity shown was intriguing.
The world-building was decent enough, especially for such a short book. I would have liked to have visited Darkacre in greater detail. Perhaps that is for the future. What little time we spent there was fascinating and deserved further exploration.
Haven Awakes is an immersive and fun book to read. A captivating and breathtakingly exciting story with a cast of likeable and interesting characters. A real page-turner that easily fulfils its agenda.
Some of the elements of the story were left unresolved, which could mean a follow-up or spin-off. It did not spoil the climactic conclusion one iota. In fact, I am eagerly anticipating the next instalment because I am reasonably sure we have not seen the last of Steve Haven.
Haven Wakes is aimed at the teen and young adult demographic. But I think adults who enjoy the Potter, Fowl, and Pleasant novels will appreciate it. I know I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommend it most readily.
Thank you, NetGalley and Burning Chair, for the advanced copy of this sparkling book.

This book was absolutely filled to the brim with action. It’s detailed and completely sucks you into the world created by Fi Philips.

This is a great story about a young boy that stumbles his way into a magical world. He is not magical himself, but he is befriended by magical sorts that help him as he deals with the murder of his uncle and the absence of his parents. He finds a place within this magical community and develops the confidence to succeed in his boarding school as well. The quest is a rich series of adventures that include finding a magical object, dealing with robots with AI, collaborating with a shadow of a person and other mystical beings. It is a wonderfully imaginative world with unique creatures and experiences, and the life lessons are relevant to children today. I fully enjoyed the book and look forward to the subsequent installments (the book ends, but the story definitely continues ...)!

this book seems like a fun fantasy! would recommend to all fantasy lovers. This is a book that made me feel so comfortable and cosy.. A good read for all fantasy fans that like a well written easy read. The book starts when Steve is dropped into an adventure when his Uncle dies, his mother rushes off to find his father leaving Steve at boarding school and a package is mysteriously left for him. Magic is not far away, and Steve’s eyes are about to be opened, and news friends will be needed to help him over come the villains’ dastardly plans. This is the first book in the series, but can be read as a stand alone; the book finishes this part of our journey with Steve.