Can I Pet Your Dog?

Pub Date 01 Nov 2022 | Archive Date 31 Oct 2022

Talking about this book? Use #CanIPetYourDog #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

This quirky illustrated book celebrates the urge to pet every dog we see, no matter what obstacles stand in the way.

A laugh-out-loud celebration of our favorite four-legged friends, Can I Pet Your Dog? features a series of increasingly improbable illustrations that nod to the universal experience of bending-over-backwards to give a good pup a well–earned belly rub. Whether it's covering yourself in bacon grease or pole-vaulting across traffic, these bizarre scenarios all share a common end goal: Must. Pet. That. Dog. The perfect book for any and all dog lovers, this book is a lighthearted ode to good boys and girls everywhere.

EDITION Hardcover

muy divertido las maneras de atraer la atención de un perrito para poder acariciarlo.

thanks netgalley for a copy of this book

Can I Pet Your Dog? is a funny book about being a little *too* eager to pet dogs. I can relate! I loved all the wacky scenarios you can take to pet a dog, it was a fun little book. Would be a great gift for any dog lover.

As someone who goes on walks only in the hopes of getting to see cute dogs, I loved this book! I will literally stare at every dog I pass longingly, I have social anxiety so sometimes I get too scared to ask if I can pet the dog. This book was really funny and gave a lot of great solutions to that while still being very information and respectful! The drawings were also super cute! I recommend to any dog lovers

A cute humorous guide to how to pet every dog! Illustrated with tons of cute dogs (and I guess humans are there too), this is a great, funny book.

Thank you NetGalley for the ARC in exchange of an honest review.
As someone who once ran across the sand of crissy field beach to pet a tiny fluff dog, this book was made for me.

Not me messaging the author on FB to GUSH over this cute book, no way, no how.
JUST KIDDING..... I DID! (& got extra ADORBS pictures of Jeremy's favorite doggo- sweet Lava the Cavapoo (Cavalier King Charles and Poodle Mix)
_____________
HILARIOUS AND LAUGH OUT LOUD, I really loved this! THANK YOU to Jeremy for letting me fan-girl and share pictures of my sweet Griff babies (Worm & Cheeze), the publisher and Netgalley for the DRC!

I'm an animal lover through and through and if I had a penny for every time I literally STOPPED what I was doing (no matter what it was) to pet a dog- I'd buy ALL THE DOGS TO PET THEM!
I probably have done 90% of the things in this book JUST TO PET A DOG- and the other 10% I will keep in my brain for those tricky instances where I need to be stealthy and sleuth.

Ok, on a more serious note- there have been studies conducted by Universities and Researchers to link interactions with dogs/cats to stress reduction- it's real, ya'll!
(Unless you get a puppy that's out of its little mind...the stress will be high initially- #speakingfromexperience)

I thought this was a SUUUUPER fun, playful, ingenious romp of a book for all dog lovers big and small- PERFECT for a coffee table or really any office or classroom setting (towards the more mature age range, although kiddos will love the gorgeous art and illustrations and could be a fun 'I-SPY' game!!)

(I already told the author I'd love a signed copy- and I only purchase signed copies for books I'm OBSESSED with)

**On another serious note, THANK YOU TO THE AUTHOR for explaining the proper 'dog-petting' etiquette- ALWAYS, I MEAN ALWAYS ask the owner if you can pet the dog...not all dogs are ok with strangers, strangers coming up in their personal space, being pet, and can have many interesting quirks. Some dogs ARE working and are service dogs- they are with their owner to do their job and any distraction (even being pet) can be dangerous if 100% of their attention is not focused. This is TRULY important to remember- especially with how light and fun the book is- it's SO important to remember that all doggos are different and unique.

Funny and cute! A good, quick read for any dog lover in a need of a smile! This little book made my day.

Silly with cute illustrations. A very quick read for dog lovers. I haven’t had a dog in years and yet no matter where I go my eyes always find four legged friends. Thank you NetGalley and Chronicle Books for a temporary ARC in exchange for a review.

This book was everything!! I knew I would adore this since i too can't resist the urge to pet dogs. The art was absolutely adorable and the ending had me beaming. I can not recommend this book enough for dog lovers or those who want a dog, or get get enough of dogs. Basically if you are obsessed with dogs like me this is the book for you!

This is a cute gift book for dog lovers. There's not much else a reason to buy it. The artwork is clear with lovely colors and the muted blue gray of the background really highlights the other colors, I liked the imaginative illustrations to go with mundane suggestions. Very funny and cute.

Adorable story about dogs. Dogs are man’s best friend- in my opinion. ☺️ They can always bring a smile to one’s face. The illustrations made me laugh. Thank you NetGalley for the ARC. Fast read but definitely a good one!

This is a sweet little cartoon book. I thought it was funny with beautiful drawings that I want to hang up on my walls. I think like many people one of my favorite hobbies is petting other people's dogs (after asking!) and this book encapsulates that need and love.
Adorable all the way 10/10

Silly, though not terribly funny, book of ways to get the dog owners let you pet their dog.

It starts off the normal way, by asking if you can pet your dog, to getting more and more silly, as the book progresses, from making friends with pet owners, to pretending you own a dog at the dog part, to using a poll vault stick to jump across a crowded street to pet a dog.

I smiled, but did not laugh. It was that sort of quick read. Good illustrations.

<em>Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review. </em>

Even if you don't have a dog, you'll find Can I Pet Your Dog humorous. It's a tickle to your funny bone!

The illustrations are cute with a narrative to match. Though I didn't find it laugh out loud funny, Can I Pet Your Dog is still a comic that will put a smile on your face. Four adorable stars.

I received a digital ARC from Chronicle Books through NetGalley. The review herein is completely my own and contains my honest thoughts and opinions.

Absolutely adorable! I waited until I was well into my adult life before I got my first dog....so I'm now making up for lost time with my sweet Lab Lucy.. I now love dogs of all shapes, sizes and breeds and I love this book.

I chuckled while reading all of the wild, wacky and super silly scenarios the author creates, just to pet a dog. He's also a brilliant illustrator.

On a serious note, I very much appreciate the author taking the time to spell out how important it is to ask before petting anyone's dog. Doggie demeanors range just like humans. So this is a great takeaway lesson for children and adults alike!

This is a perfect gift for all dog lovers in your life! My Lucy also send her paws of approval!

I won't even pretend, I will come up with some very elaborate detours to get to pet a dog. Wait, its going to take me exactly 1.5 blocks of that dog's walking speed to tie my shoe... oh right, these shoes don't have laces. Possibly the 5 times a day that I check the mail coincide with 5 of my neighbors walking their dogs. Occasionally I even borrow my niece and make her ask to pet the dog so I don't look like that odd adult who loves dogs so much. I know all of the names of the dogs on my block, and very few of the people's names. Which is why is book is perfect for me! This book is a journey of more and more extreme ways to get a chance to pet dogs, but I can honestly say I've done some of them and I am not embarrassed. This book resonated, and the art is really great. I'll be buying this book for all my dog loving friends too.

This was a quick read with cute illustrations about all the lengths we will go to pet dogs, from the usual, to more outlandish ways. It was an enjoyable read.

Who isn't enticed to give a good belly rub when coming across a cute dog? If you don't agree this probably isn't the book for you. Nguyen's book playfully illustrates scenarios on how to love on all the dogs you find in public. They go from practical (offering food) to increasingly silly and complicated (covering yourself in bacon). I thought the introduction was great and loved how it reinforces how you should always ask the owner before petting a dog. And there's even a nod at the end to adopting your own dog which is wonderful.

The illustrations were well-drawn and clear. I liked the use of color to make the focus of each scene pop out (obviously all the dogs are in color, they should be everyone's focus!), with muted backgrounds of blue and grey. There is a wide variety of dog breeds represented, super important to dog enthusiasts out there! I think this would be a great gift for dog lovers or a coffee table book. It is a very quick read. I found it amusing yet not laugh-out-loud funny, but it definitely brings a smile either way.

I received this book as a digital ARC from NetGalley for my opinion. Actual Rating 3.5 rounded up

I'm a dog lover so when I saw the title of this book I wanted to check it out. This is a cute, fun book about the lengths people could go to in order to pet a dog. For me, I would pet any and every dog, but there are times when it's not appropriated or acceptable. The illustrations showing all of the crazy ways you could ask someone to pet their dog are adorable and fun to look at!

Cute illustrations and the introduction has information that could be beneficial to young kids in a classroom. Very adorable and fun. It would also make a great gift for the dog lover in your life.

Can I Pet Your Dog by Jeremy Nguyen is a cute little book written about petting dogs. Petting dogs 🐶 is fun. I am always looking for cute books for my granddaughter who is two.

Dog lovers will adore this book! Even if you don't have a dog you can relate to the funny and cute illustrations of all the ways you could (and probably shouldn't haha) pet a pup.

I loved the inclusivity in both the people and the dogs! The variety was fabulous! I definitely recommend this to anyone who loves dogs.

I truly love the illustrations! This is an excellent book for a young
child. I loved the book but I think it's a bit immature for most adults.
I would not hesitate to pick it up because I love dogs so much.

Thank you so much, Jeremy Nguyen, your Publisher, and NetGalley for
giving me the chance to read and review this great little book.

This book is cute and lighthearted. It would be a perfect book to start a conversation about how to pet animals for kids.

I really liked this book. I thought it was really cute and relatable. As a service dog handler, i appreciated the note at the beginning of the book mentioning to not pet working dogs, thank you. I also really liked how all the dogs were unique too, there was even a disabled pup!

Overall, it was very wholesome and i think every dog lover will appreciate this book, no matter how old they are

What a fun concept and the artwork was so cute and adorable and so fitting! What a fun way to show kids (and adults) how to approach a dog :)

This little book was completely adorable, and an easy solution to needing a quick smile. The illustrations were really cute and well made, and also really funny.

Publication Oct. 25, 2022

Fun. Plain ol' fun.

Being blessed with a dog that people just seem drawn to pet, which is warmly welcomed by my girl, I grinned as the artwork brought back a few memories. True, some of the "ideas" get a bit outlandish near the end but, well, it's not meant to be taken literally, just to express the joy of interaction with dogs. I particularly liked not just the different types of dogs pictured but that at one point we see a dog with wheels, not to mention a human in a wheelchair. Good inclusion. A good way to initiate a discussion of not just the various dog breeds with a child but why and how to include those with disabilities, not to mention to ask permission before approaching someone else's dog.

The artwork is cute and nicely celebrates the love of dogs. Hey, if a tough looking goth guy can get down on his knees to give my dog a tummy rub, maybe some of these tongue-in-cheek suggestions aren't so outlandish after all. This will make a great gift for all your dog loving friends.

Thanks to #NetGalley and #ChronicleBooks for letting me pet the dogs. Now I need to go try to make up with my own pet-me-magnet dog for being distracted by some other virtual dogs.

Thank you NetGalley and Chronicle Books for the chance to read and review this book!

Filled with cute illustrations, I find myself smiling at some of them and even chuckled at one (whoops that's a cat!). It's a very quick read and will make you want to pet a dog!

Can I Pet Your Dog? was a delightful book that perfectly captures the joy of seeing an adorable dog and wanting to pet it.

Featuring increasingly unlikely scenarios to pet that pupper, Can I Pet Your Dog? is a laugh-out-loud celebration of man's best friend. Whether it's finding the dog at parties or pole-vaulting across traffic, this book is the perfect gift for all dog lovers of all ages.

The illustrations in this book are wonderful with each dog being more adorable than the last. The color palette is muted backgrounds with the dogs and people being brighter colors. I liked the choice to have the background be muted as your eye is instantly drawn to the dogs. The book starts out with everyday scenarios where someone would ask to pet a dog and the scenarios become increasingly bizarre from there. I enjoyed all of the different scenarios the author came up with because let's face it, people will go great lengths to pet adorable doggos.

Overall Can I Pet Your Dog? was a fun book and I would highly recommend it for any dog lovers in your life.

This book was so much fun, I had no idea what to expect from page to page....some of it was so random and it had me cracking up.

The illustrations were cool too.

This is a perfect book for any dog lover.

A fun book about all the ways you can go about trying to pet someone else's dog. Funny but a very quick read without so much past it.

This is a very fun book for kids! It has great illustrations and suggestions that are helpful, inventive and just hilarious. Through it all, you just keep reaching for the dogs around you. This is a book that can be enjoyed by all kids!

What a sweet fun book! With a forward that sets the stage for all the fun drawings that allow someone some heart rate reducing pets to/from a dog, I loved this book. As a major dog lover myself, I have a shelf of fun dog books and this one will be added to it shortly. I can see myself reading this to a niece or nephew and joking at all the ways someone may try to get the attention of a dog or dog owner in order to get some much needed dog attention!

With hilarious collection of tips to pet all the dogs, this one is a delight! While I’m not a dog-lover, I cackled at some of the more humorous suggestions to get canine friends!

This was a cute little short read. Although its humorous, its not for kids who don't understand how to act when it comes to meeting dogs out in public. MY worry is that children would try these methods even thought this book probably isn't for children.

The Artwork reminds me of a children's book and even the quick sentence on each pay one would think the book is aimed towards children. I do enjoy the artwork, and I do enjoy the humor in it.

All in all if you need a quick laugh or even cuteness... this is the book for you.
Also bonus points for the corgi!

This book is so cute! I will be following all of the tips in order to pet every dog I come across. The quippy tips matched perfectly with the illustrations. My favorite was the little words written in the pictures that helped make them so meaningful. The best was the museum one.
This is definitely one I'll be buying for myself and for my fellow dog lovers as gifts!

*thank you netgalley for providing me with this arc in exchange for an honest review :) *

THIS BOOK WAS SO ADORABLE!

*beedoo beedoo beedoo* calling all the dog lovers!!!

This book was such an adorable, funny, light-hearted easy read. This book has a funny approach to coming up with ways to pet these adorable dogs (nature’s greatest animal in my opinion).

I would honestly buy this book to give to a friend, co-worker or family member as a gift! Honestly, it’s be a great gift to ANY dog-lover.

The illustrations were great too! Points for creativity!

5/5 stars

This is such a cute read and really made me want to hug my dog just a little bit tighter. The illustrations were incredible and all prompts were well-thought of. I have to say that I may use all advice to try and pet a dog 😂.

Can I Pet Your Dog? By Jeremy Nguyen is an illustrated guide for dog lovers. Inside there are generic and creative ways to fulfill your love of dog petting. Jeremy says that you must do one thing first and that’s to Ask Nicely. The cute illustrations and sweet advice made me Laugh Out Loud. I will heed the advice and go on a short walk. Maybe I’ll get to use some of the suggestions illustrated here if I happen to see a dog. Thanks to NetGalley and Chronicle Books for the ARC.

Thank you to NetGalley for the digital copy of this book. I did not read anything about this book before reading it.. With that being said it felt like a comic strip that was trying to be a childrens comedy book. Here to find out that is basically what happened.. The author did a great job conveying what he was trying to convey.

This book is simple yet so beautifully presented. The illustrations are are amazing! i recommend you give this book a chance.

This was silly and cute, but a little odd at the same time. Maybe that's just my perspective as a dog owner who has had to train people how to approach dogs. They aren't all ready for your antics, people!

This was a laugh out loud funny look at how people approach dogs. Keep in mind, this is not really a kids book as it does not offer great advice.

Can I Pet Your Dog starts off by giving people a big caveat: make sure to ask before petting a dog which I thought was a great reminder for people. The book goes through some hilarious and unbelievable ways to pet someone’s dog. It brought some laugh out loud moments, which my own 3 doggies did not appreciate as it disturbed their precious 20 hour nap. A funny cute read that also provides a nice message about pet adoption.

What an adorable, fun book about how to pet more dogs. The illustrations are detailed and zany. The text is sparse but witty, making this great to read through in one sitting.

A great gift for any dog lover.

Cute book about how animals always want to be pet but we must know how and when to approach them. Great illustrations.

Thanks to NetGalley and Chronicle Books for the e-arc! This is an adorable picture book that’s an absolute delight to read in one sitting. I smiled the whole way through and was genuinely impressed by the illustrations. Out in November 2022!

This was a very cute & silly book, and it would make a great gift for anyone who likes dogs! As the owner of a nervous dog, I also really appreciated the note about proper dog-petting etiquette before it got into the more lighthearted stuff.

Can I Pet Your Dog is a silly book about ways to get to pet dogs that you meet. I am concerned that kids could take the ideas in the book seriously. I have been training dogs for years and spend my time trying to teach kids the right way to approach dogs. Also teaching people that all dogs do not want attention from people they do not know.
Maybe this book should have used these examples to show how not to approach dogs you do not know.

This is a great, fun, short book that had me smiling and laughing out loud throughout. It is a must read for any serious dog lover and would make a great gift as well.!

Thank you NetGalley for providing this ARC In exchange for an honest review.

A cute picture book of manners and dogs, illustrating the many different polite ways to approach dogs and their humans if you want to pet a dog.

This was a fun book, but I don't think it was geared towards children. It was quirky and clever the ways to get a dogs attention in order to pet that dog, but some of it a child wouldn't understand (like using social media algorithms to see more dogs). The illustrations were great.